Woman kills 2 attacking APBTs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Woman kills 2 attacking APBTs

Story: Woman Stabs to Death Two Attacking Pit Bulls - NBC News

I'm sure that this story will produce two extremely predictable reactions in the general population. My take is that we (as a society) really need to look at the overall trend towards irresponsible dog owners in this country...and how many of those irresponsible owners seem drawn to bully breeds. (IMO/IME only.)

Those dogs could have been hit by a car, picked up for use in a dog-fighting ring, or stolen just as quickly as this incident allegedly unfolded. Not only that, but if you have a DA and possibly HA dog, I do not understand how you could allow your dogs to escape. I say this as the former owner of a DA and child-aggressive GSD (Eva).

Maybe the loose dog fee needs to be higher, to encourage people to actually keep their dogs safely contained. But even here, where there is a $250 fee per occurrence, there are loose dogs everywhere. Maybe there is no solution. I don't know. This is just so sad... that it ever had to happen at all. Sad for everyone - for the two deceased dogs most of all, and for the husky that was bitten, and for the GSD + husky owner (I imagine she will have nightmares, intrusive thoughts, grief, etc for a long, long time), and the pit owner, who will probably live with a huge burden of guilt and grief.... ugh.
lovemygirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Very sad, indeed.
I completely agree. I've heard many people say silly things in regards to aggressive pitbulls.
"I want a dog like that!" "That's an awesome dog!" "My dog attacks everybody, it's great."
Luckily, all of the pitbulls/pitbull mixes I've met, were extremely friendly. It breaks my heart to know that irresponsible people are getting these dogs solely for their tendency for aggression.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

You know, just once I would like to actually hear in the story the owner say, "Oh my God, I knew these dogs didn't like people or other dogs. I have done my best to keep them confined. I feel beyond awful they escaped and did this. I totally understand the victim had to protect herself and her dog. I will help them in any way possible". People, man up.

Yes, I am sick of irresponsible dog ownership. I can't walk in my community with or without my dogs because of loose dogs -- pits and otherwise. I can't take my dogs to walk in parks because of aggressive dogs let off leash or brought close enough to lunge. I can't go up to the mountain lake on my day off because of everyone having their off-leash beasts who come up and hassle leashed animals (all dogs to be leashed by local regulation). We lack a sense of community responsibility and it is horrifying.
Cara Fusinato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Fusinato View Post
You know, just once I would like to actually hear in the story the owner say, "Oh my God, I knew these dogs didn't like people or other dogs. I have done my best to keep them confined. I feel beyond awful they escaped and did this. I totally understand the victim had to protect herself and her dog. I will help them in any way possible". People, man up.

Yes, I am sick of irresponsible dog ownership. I can't walk in my community with or without my dogs because of loose dogs -- pits and otherwise. I can't take my dogs to walk in parks because of aggressive dogs let off leash or brought close enough to lunge. I can't go up to the mountain lake on my day off because of everyone having their off-leash beasts who come up and hassle leashed animals (all dogs to be leashed by local regulation). We lack a sense of community responsibility and it is horrifying.

Agreed. I can't go to our local dog park anymore as people drop their aggressive dogs off there and leave for a few hours and then return to pick them up later. My poor little Pom was attacked once by a very aggressive large dog there (I got bit in the scuffle of trying to help my Pom). Its the owner's fault most times- not the dogs, its unfortunate.
jrennie15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm actually an apbt owner and it comes with great responsibility...most people shouldn't own them.
cltyus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Bad scene. Cara, I agree. It is never ever there fault, it's the blame game at its finest. My dogs a pitbull so YOU are just breed prejudice, very silly and childish its always everyone elses fault when you mix irresponsibility with dog ownership.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm afraid the only way people will learn to control their dogs is when an attack happens the dogs are taken to animal control, watched for Rabies (if no proof of vaccines ) and then the dogs are put down, no second chances, not for the owner and not to a rescue.
The poor dogs are the ones to pay the price, which is sad, but until laws are very strictly enforced, I don't think people will pay attention to their DA or HA dogs like they should.
Maybe if people really had the fear there's not second chance my dog attacks unprovoked, it's put down.

It really isn't that pit bulls and other type breeds are bad, but bad people do seem to be drawn to them. Not the dogs fault but also not a dog I would want to mess with if it was trained or untrained in an aggressive way.
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
Franksmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I seen this story on Facebook and my first thought was "is it even legal to carry that kind of weapon? " It isn't where I am. My second thought was based on the description witnesses gave that this woman just kept stabbing them and stabbing them, the owner couldn't even get to the dogs because a knife was flying everywhere. I just feel that most situations are one extreme to another and there isn't any in between. If someone wants to protect themselves and their dogs that is fine, but stabbing them over and over and the owner was there almost immediately? That woman had a lot of anger inside her.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

After my incident, I am sure if I could have I would have. I have a knife latched onto my fanny pack, but when My dog was attacked (my hand was munched in the attack, and I still have some pain, cramping and clicking in joint and cannot make a fist - been 4 weeks today), I was still in cooler weather gear and never though to have it in my pocket.

I have since purchased a carry size pepper spray - 10 foot range. It goes with me now always...along with the knife.

Shoot first, ask questions later
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
After my incident, I am sure if I could have I would have. I have a knife latched onto my fanny pack, but when My dog was attacked (my hand was munched in the attack, and I still have some pain, cramping and clicking in joint and cannot make a fist - been 4 weeks today), I was still in cooler weather gear and never though to have it in my pocket.

I have since purchased a carry size pepper spray - 10 foot range. It goes with me now always...along with the knife.

Shoot first, ask questions later
Nothing wrong with carrying the pepper spray. It will stop the dog and give you a chance to get out of there. The only bad thing is that if it's a windy day..
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.