Lost GSD reunited w/owner after 7months. Happy Ending. Or is it? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Lost GSD reunited w/owner after 7months. Happy Ending. Or is it?

"You have to see this dogs reaction to being rescued, I'm in tears"
Her reaction is nothing short of amazing, and it brought tears to my eyes!
^^^
The title of this link is/was a positive one.

I received this in my FB news feed. and after reading all the doom and gloom stories on the forum as of late, I thought "Oh, this might be a nice change up" so I watched the video.

Hoping perhaps our dog experts can chime in on the body language of this dog upon reunion after being separated/lost for 7 months.

Is this a happy ending?

2.4min video
You Have To See This Dog’s Reaction To Being Rescued, I’m In Tears! | PetFlow Blog - The most interesting news for pet parents around the world.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Umm...that dog looks scared to me. I know if I lost my guy for seven months, he'd literally tackle me.
But maybe it's different when it's been that long? I don't know.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Poor dog but if he's been a stray for months.... Who knows what has happened to him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ZoeD1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Dog that runs away because of fire works is genetically a nervous and scared dog to begin with.

With that said that dog does look really scared /submissive of that guy. Dogs tail doesn't even wag. Throwing off calming signals by licking his lips.
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it's hard to tell anything from that short clip. The dog is obviously stressed but most dogs are in a shelter. Could be a really timid dog. He certainly looked happy at the end when they were leaving.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

He seemed happier in the beginning with the shelter handler. Although not knowing the whole story of his journey during that 7 months, being in the care of the shelter may have been a blessing to him and is what he knows and adapted.

But his body language upon reunion...more like a dog on recall who gets smacked for obeying coming back b/c he ran
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

7 months?

Who knows what happened to that stray between the time it ran away during fireworks and was picked up by this shelter. It may have been kept by a family with a big guy that was not so nice to it. Who knows.

I agree if it was afraid of the fireworks it is probably a submissive, fearful dog by nature. At first a lot of lip-licking and calming signals by the dog, and submissiveness. But watch farther, the dog seems to recognize him and get excited, the tail starts wagging, she has her paws on him, and she seems very happy to leave with him.

l do not think we have enough information in that clip, to know that the guy is abusive to the dog. In fact, he got the dog a chip, he registered it -- too many people forget this step, and he came to get her. That is ALL we know about the guy.

As for your dog tackling you after 7 months, how exactly do you know this? I have lost a dog for 19 days, and she barked and ran to me all excited, but had she been gone 7 months, had she been beaten, or shot at, or chased by kids with sticks, caught with a catch pole or a live trap, been adopted by another family because the shelter didn't bother to look for a chip, been terrorized for accidents or with harsh training, been dumped in the woods, and now she is found again, that many months later, who knows if she will go running up to a smell she kind of remembers.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Agreed Sue. That's what I took from the video also.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.