German Shepherds Forum banner

Lost GSD reunited w/owner after 7months. Happy Ending. Or is it?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Jax08 
#1 ·
"You have to see this dogs reaction to being rescued, I'm in tears"
Her reaction is nothing short of amazing, and it brought tears to my eyes!
^^^
The title of this link is/was a positive one.

I received this in my FB news feed. and after reading all the doom and gloom stories on the forum as of late, I thought "Oh, this might be a nice change up" so I watched the video.

Hoping perhaps our dog experts can chime in on the body language of this dog upon reunion after being separated/lost for 7 months.

Is this a happy ending?

2.4min video
You Have To See This Dog’s Reaction To Being Rescued, I’m In Tears! | PetFlow Blog - The most interesting news for pet parents around the world.

#6 ·
He seemed happier in the beginning with the shelter handler. Although not knowing the whole story of his journey during that 7 months, being in the care of the shelter may have been a blessing to him and is what he knows and adapted.

But his body language upon reunion...more like a dog on recall who gets smacked for obeying coming back b/c he ran

#7 ·
7 months?

Who knows what happened to that stray between the time it ran away during fireworks and was picked up by this shelter. It may have been kept by a family with a big guy that was not so nice to it. Who knows.

I agree if it was afraid of the fireworks it is probably a submissive, fearful dog by nature. At first a lot of lip-licking and calming signals by the dog, and submissiveness. But watch farther, the dog seems to recognize him and get excited, the tail starts wagging, she has her paws on him, and she seems very happy to leave with him.

l do not think we have enough information in that clip, to know that the guy is abusive to the dog. In fact, he got the dog a chip, he registered it -- too many people forget this step, and he came to get her. That is ALL we know about the guy.

As for your dog tackling you after 7 months, how exactly do you know this? I have lost a dog for 19 days, and she barked and ran to me all excited, but had she been gone 7 months, had she been beaten, or shot at, or chased by kids with sticks, caught with a catch pole or a live trap, been adopted by another family because the shelter didn't bother to look for a chip, been terrorized for accidents or with harsh training, been dumped in the woods, and now she is found again, that many months later, who knows if she will go running up to a smell she kind of remembers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.