German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Current Dog Affairs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/)
-   -   Update to the "cat saves boy" story! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/451514-update-cat-saves-boy-story.html)

Dainerra 05-18-2014 02:26 PM

Update to the "cat saves boy" story!

Calls come in to adopt dog that attacked boy; shelter says no - BakersfieldCalifornian.com

calls have flooded the phones at the Bakersfield Animal Care Center, director Julie Johnson said Friday on "First Look with Scott Cox."

Johnson has been taking calls from rescue operation centers that claim they can change the behavior of the dog. But the dog is not being turned over to anyone.

"I get concerned that we are fielding so many calls for this one dog," Johnson said. "I have 200 other dogs that need a home, who haven't bit anyone and make great family pets."

Jax08 05-18-2014 02:29 PM

It amazes me the people that respond in situations like this.

Ellimaybel 05-18-2014 02:41 PM

They want the publicity, not the best interest of all involved.

Dainerra 05-18-2014 02:45 PM

according to the shelter, the dog is actively trying to attack shelter workers as well. Yet people are calling daily wanting to "save" him

wolfstraum 05-18-2014 03:07 PM

sigh - for sure......all these nice dogs who get killed every day and people want this dog who needs to be put down...

Lee

Sunflowers 05-18-2014 03:11 PM

These days many believe that everything needs to be saved, no matter what.

Baillif 05-18-2014 03:58 PM

At 8 months with the right program they probably could change the behavior. I'm pretty sure by the time I got done with him he'd never bite another person again, but it's a waste of time when there are a ton of other dogs out there with nice temperaments being put down all the time. With the time and energy you have to put into one case like that 10 great dogs with no issues die. Screw that.

Cara Fusinato 05-18-2014 06:08 PM

ONLY 200 dogs? Last August Bakersfield AC had 700 dogs. My sheltie was one -- pulled by a no-kill where my shepherd came from and instantly chosen by me. Perfect little lady, spoke only Spanish but was well trained in Spanish. She is exceling in training and just got her CGC too. Bakersfield -- adopt one of the great dogs waiting to live or die and let the dog that attacked the kid without provocation be PTS. I watched the 45 min long cam version that was up for awhile -- the kid didn't provoke. Bakersfield is truly horrifying when it comes to dogs -- from puppy mills to tossing pups into canals to leaving old dogs on a street corner and driving away. Lab/chow my foot. Prove it! Not with that kind of attack.

Sabis mom 05-18-2014 07:04 PM

After that attack? Where it my dog, AC would have never been involved. I would have had the dog PTS myself.
I do not know what is wrong with the human race.

gsdsar 05-18-2014 07:12 PM

It brings to mind the recent case if an aggressive dog that had bit a LE and was released to a trainer, only to go crazy in a park and end up biting multiple people before it was shot and killed.

I just don't get why people spend soooo much time trying to rehab a known aggressive dog, when 2 weeks with a nice dog, and a family can have a great pet. Do this 10 times, and in that amount if time 20 dogs have been saved. It blows my mind.

I am not against working difficult cases, but any trainer worth their salt can watch the video and see that was more than an untrained puppy. That dog stalked and methodically attacked a child.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App