German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Current Dog Affairs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/)
-   -   K9 dies in hot car after handler leaves him in heat... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/448705-k9-dies-hot-car-after-handler-leaves-him-heat.html)

SummerGSDLover 05-10-2014 02:28 PM

K9 dies in hot car after handler leaves him in heat...

Cop Left K-9 Unit in Car Until it Died | The Free Thought Project

*-*Summer*-*

Nigel 05-10-2014 04:21 PM

Forgot he left the dog in the vehicle?? You might forget your keys, wallet, etc... You don't forget your dog, hope he does not have kids.

Sarah~ 05-10-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 5500561)
Forgot he left the dog in the vehicle?? You might forget your keys, wallet, etc... You don't forget your dog, hope he does not have kids.

Yes, exactly, how does a handler "forget" their dog??

Tattersail 05-10-2014 04:38 PM

My thoughts as well.... It's one thing to forget your wallet or any inanimate object... it's another to forget your dog and PARTNER in the back of your truck. I can only imagine the agonizing death this poor K9 had... I'm also kind of surprised no other police officers noticed anything, but depending on where he parked, it's entirely plausible.

SummerGSDLover 05-10-2014 04:52 PM

I cannot believe this even happened. So unnecessarily tragic. I think this officer needs to be fired and made to pay a fine large enough to get the force another trained K9 as well as have some charges (negligence, anyone?) brought onto his record.

*-*Summer*-*

Gwenhwyfair 05-10-2014 05:30 PM

It sounds like the officer is NOT going to get a pass though from the article:

Quote:

Now he could face time behind bars
I cannot understand how an officer in AZ of all places (!!) would forget his K9 partner in the car and go home and not realize it ..... at all until it's too late.

However, it happens and happened with a GA PO last year too.

As long as the cops do NOT get a pass then there is some solace in that. Especially when ordinary citizens are charged with animal cruelty for leaving dogs in hot cars as well.

Alice13 05-10-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 5500561)

I get what you mean but I have seen and heard of many people who forgot they left their own kids in the car and came back to find the poor kid dead. Only god knows what runs in their minds.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Anubis_Star 05-10-2014 09:35 PM

There was a case a year or so ago where an officer left his dog in the car and it died. That case was heartbreaking and understandable. Was loading up his cruiser from his personal vehicle, got an emergency call (I believe large car pile up with fatalities). Hopped in the cruiser and sped off. Got half way to the scene and realized his dog was still in his personal vehicle and not loaded up in the cruiser. Turned around immediately but the dog did not make it. There are understandable accidents. This is not one of them.

I will say - I've left work a few times and forgotten my dogs. Get half way home and realize I don't have them. I took berlin to the bank with me one time, went in deposited a check reap fast, came back and sat in the car, was chatting on the phone before leaving when a noise in the back startled me. I had forgotten he was in there! But i could never imagine forgetting long term, nor would I ever be in the position where they were in a hot vehicle to begin witn

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

DaniFani 05-10-2014 11:45 PM

People make mistakes.... Parents leave children in their cars on accident. The following article is not for the faint of heart. If loving parents can forget their own child, it's not that surprising they could forget a dog. Tragic... And sad.

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime?

Gretchen 05-11-2014 12:02 AM

Forgetting your K9 or child is much more than a mistake. These people should really go through some serious therapy, I don't know about jail time, but time in a psychiatric ward. Their thinking is way off and too self absorbed, definitely some sort of personality disorder.