Man says officer ‘fought back a smile’ after shooting friendly dog in the head - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Man says officer ‘fought back a smile’ after shooting friendly dog in the head

Cop Who Allegedly 'Smirked' After Shooting Friendly Dog Resigns
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Taking the easy way out....sad for the owner as the owner clearly didn't set this dog up to fail.

There was a shooting about an hour ago in my city. From an eye witness that lives by the dog/owner, this dog was often wandering the street, but avoided people, never showed aggression. Owner failed the dog in this one
Pit Bull Shot After Biting Kalamazoo Public Safety Officer | FOX17online.com
Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is awful.

Most cops like dogs, and own dogs. They don't want to shoot someone's dog. But if the innocent bystander wasn't present, would this cop have gotten away with this? I am glad the bystander was willing to report what he witnessed.

In any population, there are people who are not right for the job. I hope no one will ever hire this man again as a police officer.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Taking the easy way out....sad for the owner as the owner clearly didn't set this dog up to fail.

There was a shooting about an hour ago in my city. From an eye witness that lives by the dog/owner, this dog was often wandering the street, but avoided people, never showed aggression. Owner failed the dog in this one
Pit Bull Shot After Biting Kalamazoo Public Safety Officer | FOX17online.com
Idiots owning dogs, and dogs pay. Sucks. The officer did what he had to do.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Cops abusing power. What a surprise. Poor dog. Without cameras or witnesses cops do whatever they want cuz their word always wins out.

Imo having a college degree should be a requirement to become an officer. Putting people who are too stupid to get a degree into a position of power is not a good idea.
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba405 View Post
Cops abusing power. What a surprise. Poor dog. Without cameras or witnesses cops do whatever they want cuz their word always wins out.

Imo having a college degree should be a requirement to become an officer. Putting people who are too stupid to get a degree into a position of power is not a good idea.
They do have to have a degree almost everywhere here, it doesn't changed ehi they are.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:

Maybe not a college degree but regular psych exams and credit checks. Almost every cop friend of my husband's is in serious debt and spends a lot more than they make even though they have xcellent salaries here. If you don't have enough good judgment to stay within a budget, that tells me you don't have good judgment - period and shouldn't hold a job where you have lethal weapon.

This is a terrible story .If a police officer did this to my Molly I'd be seriously depressed.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 12:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:

Are you even certain that this guy doesn't have a degree? Plenty of cops do. A degree won't make you a better person. He'd still be smiling after he shot that dog even after 4 years worth of keggers and random arts classes.

And cops aren't people who are too stupid to get a degree so they become cops, these are people who can't sit around and do nothing while their friends and families and innocent people become victims to criminals. They need to make the world safer themselves, not sit back and hope someone else does it for them.

Obviously some become cops for the authority or others become jaded by the twisted and horrible experiences they endure on the job that unsurprisingly warp their views of humanity, but not all. Not even the majority.

If you want cops to require a college degree, then fight for it. Petition. Write reports on the benefits of university educated officers. Do something. Because most of the cops you see out there saw something wrong with the world and they are doing something to try to make it better.

Personally, after attending university for computer science, I don't see a need for cops to have a degree. Maybe 10% of my classes were actually related to computers, the rest was filler dubbed as 'degree requirements' . Also(depending on where you live), the amount of hours spent in the police basic training program accumulates to roughly the same amount of hours you would spend in class at university getting a 4 year degree. So really, these are people who basically got a 4 year degree in a much, much shorter time frame.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

This is horrifying. It literally left me in shock.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah unfortunately a degree or credit check or whatever else cannot measure a person's morals.

The majority of cops are great people with good hearts but one bad cop can ruin a lot of lives. When it's their word vs yours, charges like felonies can ruin lives. I read a story where a cop ran a stop sign and tboned this lady, broke her neck, and then charged her with drunk driving. He only got caught when video footage from a nearby store told a much different story from the police report. That type of stuff ruins lives.

If someone shot my non aggressive dog I would be in jail for assaulting an officer. Just reading about a pos cop shooting someone else's dog makes me angry.
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.