German Shepherds Forum banner

Police Officer Accused of K9 Abuse

15K views 109 replies 30 participants last post by  Gwenhwyfair 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I agree. More context needed. From the bit I could see, the officer did not appear to be angry or out of control. The dog seemed to be happy in the end.

Not that I liked seeing that, but I do know some dogs that refuse to out a ball, and I personally have lifted my dog off their front feet to get them to out.

As for the leash hit, when I am tugging I use my legs and feet to push my dog around, could look like a kick to someone. It's not. But from a distance....

So I would need to understand the context before passing judgement.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
the dog is sitting still, the guy chokes it because it isnt doing platz or something. The guy recording video says the dog was pooping. Then he hits it lightly with his sap, then he continues choking it. Context??? How about he gets charged criminally, hows that for context.

#5 ·
Dogs are often lifted or choked off a ball in training before they know the out.

This is an example of doing it all wrong.

The dog doesn't even need to have its legs lifted off the ground. The leash isn't used on a choker. You lift the dog once to take the air away and calmly hold it there until it releases the ball. You don't choke the dog for a bit, let it down, choke it again, let it down... that's horrible.

The flanking of the dog in and of itself is abuse. I would take his dog away and he would never work another dog a day in his life. I wonder where he learned this

I hope they burn this guy bad. IMO, this is definitely abuse.

David Winners

#7 ·
I'm all about seeing everything before passing judgement, but this is against the law. Any military handler found doing this without provocation, meaning the dog attacking them, would be court martialed.

#11 ·
My initial reaction was that this guy has no idea what he's doing and that the time/place was wholly inappropriate. Trying to be objective and hear opinions from experienced K9/military handlers like David. Looked like the officer was waiting around for his partner and decided to do a lackadaisical, careless little "training" session. The dog does seem fine after but that doesn't mean anything as he was clearly picked out for harder handling. The officer definitely throws something across the street after and I assume it was whatever the dog had in his mouth, whether it was a ball or other object.

#12 ·
Hhmm... nice narrator

I could not see a ball. I watched only once and will not comment, because the elder's have had their say, before I saw the video. Had I seen the video, before 2 respected member's --- I might have made my opinion known. Watch the tail of the animal as they walk to the patrol car and then you can let me know if I am incorrect, and I may not be > ?

#17 ·
I could not see a ball. I watched only once and will not comment, because the elder's have had their say, before I saw the video. Had I seen the video, before 2 respected member's --- I might have made my opinion known. Watch the tail of the animal as they walk to the patrol car and then you can let me know if I am incorrect, and I may not be > ?
I'm not saying the dog didn't take it like a champ and rock on. That doesn't make it legal IMO.

David Winners

#16 ·
The handler was getting his ball back. You can see him put it in his right front pocket.

If it was a real stop, he shouldn't have paid the dog anyhow, but that's another topic.

David Winners

#20 ·
Those dogs typically cost around 10K after initial training as well. Stuff like this reminds me of all the things people used to get away with so matter-of-factly before the internet/cellphone cameras. Finally the power is shifting back to people.

#21 ·
What does administrative leave mean exactly? Imo that handler needs to be fired. Or atleast never able to have another dog under his "training." This video is ridiculous and that police officer was being abusive. To just keep hanging the dog over and again was very wrong. And to hit the dog?! Why?!

*-*Summer*-*

#25 ·
Yes, he was doing it WRONG...and should be charged with assaulting an officer.

#27 ·
Hitting a dog with a leash is nothing. Leash won't damage the dog. A good part of that interaction was missed by the person taking the video. I've seen and heard of far worse things being done to dogs that don't out done by trainers that are world class. So honestly this video was super tame. I've seen dogs that were so drivey they had to be beaten on the muzzle with a stick to get them to out and then punished after for not outting.

Generally more refined and effective things can be done to out a dog, but I'm not going to judge the guy based on what I was able to make out. The fact that the dog wasn't even looking punished after all that is fairly indicative that this guy probably doesn't have an abusive relationship with his k9.

#28 ·
Partners/team....I think the person video'ing it is anti-LEO anyway so was very happy to expose the handler.

#34 ·
Since LEO's are in the public eye, they need to conduct themselves in such a way so that anyone that is anti-LEO doesn't have anything to use against them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.