German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Current Dog Affairs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/)
-   -   Drug dog bites Ga. deputy during attempted selfie (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/442537-drug-dog-bites-ga-deputy-during-attempted-selfie.html)

Twyla 04-24-2014 04:31 PM

Drug dog bites Ga. deputy during attempted selfie

This is NOT to start another explosive debate :) It is just the news.

Drug dog bites Ga. deputy during attempted selfie | www.wsbtv.com

HarleyTheGSD 04-24-2014 04:49 PM

Wow....is it cruel of me to find this somewhat humorous?

Nigel 04-24-2014 06:09 PM

This link has statement from the deputy, I feel bad for the guy.

Murray Co. deputy bitten during "selfie" with K-9 - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

selzer 04-29-2014 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5426665)
Wow....is it cruel of me to find this somewhat humorous?

I don't know where the humor is.

Chip18 04-29-2014 12:44 AM

Yeah not getting the humor myself either?? Dog and handler need to go back to school! Just a pet person but my standards are pretty high and that handler/dog combo is a fail in my book!

David Winners 04-29-2014 01:17 AM

Fama bit me 6 times. Sometimes it happens. Never needed stitches from her though.

Hopefully the handler learned something and they can work through their issues. Sometimes the right dog for the job can be hard on a handler until you settle in together.

David Winners

volcano 04-29-2014 01:51 AM

I expected the picture.:confused: Im also confused about the right dog for the job comment, police dogs should be more under control, im against hard aggressive police dogs. Its not like a police dogs main duty is to bite, isnt the nose the important part? Id prefer police dogs who bite the handler to never be allowed on the street- never ever. Obviously the dog shouldnt be biting the handler so how can they put that dog in public where it may bite other people it isnt supposed to??? If any regular dog did it theyd be put down.

David Winners 04-29-2014 02:00 AM

Some police and MIL dogs come from some pretty hard training. They can end up with pretty soft handlers. There is definitely a learning curve.

I don't know the dog or handler in question. I do know that if you handle dogs long enough, you will get bitten at some point, sometimes by your own dog.

It can take a while for a dog to trust a handler, especially if they are new. Just because the dog bit when someone threw their arm around it's neck doesn't mean it's a danger to the public.

The handler made a mistake. He got bit. Bet he doesn't do it again.

David Winners

carmspack 04-29-2014 02:44 AM

The PERSON made a mistake . The DEPUTY made a mistake.

Must have read the article in the link 3 or 4 times to make sure my interpretation was reasonable.

I don't see that it was the handler of the dog , because then it would have said HIS dog . Here we have A department dog.

Seems like the Deputy was part of a team serving warrants, perhaps the dog being instrumental in identifying and affirming presence of drugs .
Deputy all proud and excited with the team goes and puts the arm on the dog and the rest is history.
The piece does not say "drug dog bites handler"

"deputy was sitting near a department drug dog after serving warrants Monday "

Well now don't be doing that !

DobbyDad 04-29-2014 02:59 AM

I agree. I don't think the handler us the one who got bit.