USDA Regulations on shipping puppies to buyers - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default USDA Regulations on shipping puppies to buyers

Can someone confirm with me that a potential buyer has to pick up her/his puppy in person from a breeder?Due to the new USDA guidelines?

Thanks!
RLwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Actually, there are new regulations that if you sell puppies, sight unseen, you will fall under USDA regulations, which most breeders do not want to do, because it requires things to be run like a farm moreso than puppies being raised in a home environment.

To avoid this, you can refuse to ship puppies, and require owners to come pick them up. This means you will not fall under USDA regulations soley because you ship puppies to people you haven't met. You may still fall under the regulations depending on how many puppies/litters are produced.

USDA probably has guidelines for shipping so I am guessing the breeeder is avoiding falling under their regualtions.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

The AWA requirements are minimum care standards. The USDA has repeatedly said that the vast majority of responsible home-based breeders would not just meet but, far and away exceed, the standards of care set out by the AWA.

It is simply not true that the “rule change” that went into effect last year prohibits breeding dogs from being in the home or that pups cannot be whelped in the home... i.e. that they must be treated like farm animals as Selzer would have you believe in her post.

The USDA actually put together a webinar for home-based breeders to address this myth. It is available on the USDA/Aphis website for anyone who is interested.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation out there about the 2013 USDA rule change.

If your breeder chose not to become licensed, it probably has more to do with their attitude about the federal government/federal regulation than anything else.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is from the AWA rulebook: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_wel...0-%20FINAL.pdf

Page 62
Section 3.2 Indoor Housing Facilities - item D

Quote:
The floors and walls of indoor housing facilities, and any other surfaces in contact with the animals, must be impervious to moisture.
That means that I could not keep my breeding dogs inside my house. My wood floors are NOT impervious to moisture. Instead, in order to comply with the rules, I would have to build something outside of my house to where I would keep my dogs. Something where the floors were concrete (no other surface is impervious to moisture).
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 12:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

The "indoor housing facility" referred to in that section refers to a very specific type of animal housing... think puppy mill out-buildings.

Home-based breeders and other types of out-buildings/kennel housing have entirely different standards. Please look up the webinar I referenced earlier.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Here is the link to the "What is APHIS’ Inspection Process in the Home?" webinar for anyone who is interested:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_wel...2011-21-13.pdf
Old 04-08-2014, 01:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wow...amazing..Regulating air we breathe will be next.
So,IF I had a friend that lived in NY drove to VT.(breeder) pays for my pup,have him ship to Houston via Delta Airlines would be considered adequate?
RLwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Actually, the gist of the webinars was "trust us, home breeders won't be affected, we'll take it on a case by case basis and use common sense", and frankly a whole lot of home based breeders aren't too keen on taking USDA's word for it or trusting that their inspectors will show common sense and not have their own agenda. So yes, a lot of breeders are going to do what they can to avoid having to be USDA licensed. Not selling pups "sight unseen", aka not shipping, is one way for a breeder to avoid that.

A buyer CAN have an uncompensated representative, such as a friend, pick up the puppy from the breeder. This meets USDA's requirement for either the buyer, or someone of the buyer's choosing, viewing the puppy in person prior to purchase. So yes, you could have your friend pick the puppy up and ship it to you.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

How about Skype? Could you do that with the breeder, have them hold the puppy up? Then it's not sight unseen?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeofRiley View Post
The "indoor housing facility" referred to in that section refers to a very specific type of animal housing... think puppy mill out-buildings.
It also applies to any area INside the home designated for housing or whelping. So the whole "impervious to moisture" thing DOES apply to that bathroom/bedroom/basement/mudroom/kitchen or wherever the puppies are actually whelped.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.