Police shoot and kill wandering dog. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Police shoot and kill wandering dog.

This isn't about a GSD but it really scares me since GSDs are a "bully" breed too.

In my hometown of Erie, PA, the local police shot a wandering Rottweiler four times and killed it. The police say it charged them. The witnessing neighbor wrote a statement saying the dog was just wandering around not bothering anyone and the police shot it the minute they saw it.

They also left the body on the street for trash pickup. From what I've read, owner never even got to claim the body, it was put into a barrel and discarded.

I know the owner, she is a huge animal lover and all the comments so far are that the dog was very friendly.

This is not the first time the police have shot and killed dogs with out much investigation.

What are your thoughts on it ? What if my shepherds ever got loose ? This is scary. Something tells me they wouldn't have shot if it was a golden.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just started this thread today. Police called for vicious pit bull
My story has a totally different "HAPPY" outcome.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wish I could say the same When I was twelve / thirteen-ish the same department shot and killed an additional three rottis. Maybe it is my area.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

when these things go down it is always bash police and the dog was an angel just out polishing its halo for the day
while all that could be true rottweilers can be very aggressive and it would not surprise me if the police were quite justified in the shooting

either way if you let your dog run all over creation whether by accident or on purpose you are putting it at risk for being shot
it seems to me these days nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions but would rather blame someone else when disaster inevitably strikes

as for gsds being a bully breed you lost me there
bully breeds generally consist of pit bulls and other terriers and sometimes mastiffs
but i have never seen a gsd called a bull breed
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
This isn't about a GSD but it really scares me since GSDs are a "bully" breed too.

In my hometown of Erie, PA, the local police shot a wandering Rottweiler four times and killed it. The police say it charged them. The witnessing neighbor wrote a statement saying the dog was just wandering around not bothering anyone and the police shot it the minute they saw it.

They also left the body on the street for trash pickup. From what I've read, owner never even got to claim the body, it was put into a barrel and discarded.

I know the owner, she is a huge animal lover and all the comments so far are that the dog was very friendly.

This is not the first time the police have shot and killed dogs with out much investigation.

What are your thoughts on it ? What if my shepherds ever got loose ? This is scary. Something tells me they wouldn't have shot if it was a golden.

German shepherds are NOT a bully breed. Sorry, but bullys are dogs that have characteristics of bull dogs. GSDs do NOT have characteristics of bull dogs.

Rottweilers and German Shepherds are both large, formidable German working/herding dog breeds. So they do have something in common.

If only your friend loved her dog enough to keep it properly contained.

Frankly, if you believe the cops will shoot your dog, then maybe you'll be a teensy bit more careful and ensure they don't just "get loose." Owners of this breed can't afford to just let their dogs get loose. If the cops come into your house or secure yard and shoot your dog, then I will be kicking and screaming with you (so long as you aren't cooking meth or anything like that). But, if the cops kill a dog on the street that isn't under the control of an owner, well, I just figure tough beans, another owner failed her dog. It doesn't matter how sweet your 110 pound guard dog is. Doesn't matter what a marshmallow your 75 pound GSD is. If you let it out to roam the neighborhood and it dies, your fault, whether it is struck and killed by a speeding car, or shot by cops, or killed by hunters, or whatever.

We have a large, formidable dog breed. You don't take a gun and leave it out on the sidewalk. Don't leave your dog to roam around and get itself shot and killed. It is infuriating. Don't let that happen.

Too bad your friend didn't love her dog enough to keep it contained properly. Dogs have to pay for our carelessness too often.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Police shoot and kill wandering dog.

I'm talking in the literal sense of "bully", the ways in which most insurance companies and some rescues categorize them by aggressive tendencies (Rottis Pitts Shepherds Akitas Dobermans, etc).

...A list I run into far too often while I'm moving so much.

I have little young nephews at my house 24/7. If for some god awful reason they accidentally let my dog out and for once in her/his life they decide to explore and an officer decides to shoot it to death (excessively) because he/she so much as looked at him, and then allowed the trash truck to dump the body and I only had notice by finding my shed full of blood and a collar remain shot off, I would hope I wouldn't get responses such as "you should have loved your dog enough to keep it contained".

Old 03-04-2014, 12:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Obviously that's my biggest fear. My family doesn't take it as such a serious issue, even after my nephew let my female out and she wandered across the street and was hit by a car when I wasn't home.

Unfortunately they can't come to work with me. You'd think I could trust my own dogs at my own house with my own family but apparently that is not the case and I don't think someone can just be blamed "for not caring enough to contain the dog".

Accidents happen, it isn't a fact of caring enough.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
I'm talking in the literal sense of "bully", the ways in which most insurance companies and some rescues categorize them by aggressive tendencies (Rottis Pitts Shepherds Akitas Dobermans, etc).

...A list I run into far too often while I'm moving so much.

I have little young nephews at my house 24/7. If for some god awful reason they accidentally let my dog out and for once in her/his life they decide to explore and an officer decides to shoot it to death (excessively) because he/she so much as looked at him, and then allowed the trash truck to dump the body and I only had notice by finding my shed full of blood and a collar remain shot off, I would hope I wouldn't get responses such as "you should have loved your dog enough to keep it contained".

Too many dogs are running around loose, and most of them are not on their first voyage. Sorry.

If you nephews are old enough to work the door locks then they are old enough to learn not to leave the dog out. If your nephews are not old enough to learn that, then the dog should be crated or with you, and not unsupervised with your nephews. If you have a fenced yard, train the dogs to only go out the door that leads to the fenced yard.

Yupp, this is a huge pet peeve of mine. People think that cops suck and are out to shoot dogs. But they do not look at their dog and think, someone might be afraid of this huge dog. We don't have to just worry about cops shooting our dogs, but people carry handguns too. People with CCPs, might just shoot your dog if it is running around loose out there. Hunters, for sure might kill your dog if it is running loose, and definitely the cars on the road.

The bull mastiff that just killed that 13 year old the other day, been out and menacing children before it decided to kill one. If you have to have a large, formidable dog, do your part, and keep it contained.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

I know what you mean Mocha. My thoughts; it's sad & pisses me off. Some cops are indeed jerks, some are noble. It's hard knowing what took place. It's just a shame
MatildaTheMalevolent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Too many dogs are running around loose, and most of them are not on their first voyage. Sorry.

If you nephews are old enough to work the door locks then they are old enough to learn not to leave the dog out. If your nephews are not old enough to learn that, then the dog should be crated or with you, and not unsupervised with your nephews. If you have a fenced yard, train the dogs to only go out the door that leads to the fenced yard.

Yupp, this is a huge pet peeve of mine. People think that cops suck and are out to shoot dogs. But they do not look at their dog and think, someone might be afraid of this huge dog. We don't have to just worry about cops shooting our dogs, but people carry handguns too. People with CCPs, might just shoot your dog if it is running around loose out there. Hunters, for sure might kill your dog if it is running loose, and definitely the cars on the road.

The bull mastiff that just killed that 13 year old the other day, been out and menacing children before it decided to kill one. If you have to have a large, formidable dog, do your part, and keep it contained.
They're very young. And my dogs hardly leave the yard without me. It happened on one freak accident when a slip handle was hit by the young boy while another person was walking their dog on the other side.

This department is constantly criticized for abuse of power not only on dogs but also on people. My boyfriend refuses to test for them even though they are hiring before the other department near us due to the rumors. We actually argued about before because I never believed it, always thought all cops are great people. No, not the case. When witnesses have conflicting stories than with cops, witnesses that neither knew the owner or the dog and therefor are unbiased, then I'm going to question it and I'm sorry if it seems like I'm quick to blame the cops but no, not the case here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.