German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Current Dog Affairs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/)
-   -   This really chaps me (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/413722-really-chaps-me.html)

DWP 02-20-2014 01:19 PM

This really chaps me

:mad:Story: Trending: Mom Wants Pitbulls Banned After Her Toddler is Mauled - Trending Now on Patch - Alpharetta-Milton, GA Patch Mom wants Pitbulls banned

Then you read that a partner in her efforts is the organization "Daxtons Friends" at http://www.daxtonsfriends.com/ They are crusading against aggressive breeds disguised as a "responsible pet onership" site. I am sorry for the loss of their son, but you need to click on their description of German Shepherds to understand my anger.

selzer 02-20-2014 01:59 PM

The alternative for these people is to blame themselves. That is too painful for them. I understand how someone suffering from something like losing a child to a dog attack will be trying to ban the dogs.

I thought the description of GSDs wasn't too terrible. Yeah, wasn't too kind to the working line dogs, ADHD and unsuitable for living in homes, but mostly it was a lot better than some of these anti-dog people say. He has listed there 15 fatalities attributed to GSDs in over 30 years. As popular as the breed is...

And, I don't know, it seems like, maybe it would be best if most people considering what breed of dog to get are steered away from GSDs, at least initially. Better for the breed if we weren't quite so popular.

DWP 02-20-2014 02:16 PM

Good Point

You make a good point about the GSD being to popular.

I understand their emotions as well, however to excuse irrational behavior utilized to influence others is not acceptable.

Not accusing you of that just trying to better describe the reason for my outrage and disdain.

Sunflowers 02-20-2014 02:18 PM

Is this what angered you?
"Because they are so often used for police work, some lines of GSDs have developed behavior that makes them unsuitable as household pets. Police lines often suffer an ADHD-like excitability and lack of impulse control. Some have developed what looks like ‘impulsive aggression’ – sudden, unprovoked, disproportionately savage attacks on another dog or on a human. If you are considering a German Shepherd Dog as a household companion, it is important to be sure you choose a dog from a working guide dog line or a companion dog line, and avoid breeders who supply police trainers and/or shutzhund clubs. This is particularly important if you expect the dog to interact safely with children and with other animals."

Blanketback 02-20-2014 02:18 PM

"Because they are so often used for police work, some lines of GSDs have developed behavior that makes them unsuitable as household pets. Police lines often suffer an ADHD-like excitability and lack of impulse control. Some have developed what looks like ‘impulsive aggression’ – sudden, unprovoked, disproportionately savage attacks on another dog or on a human. If you are considering a German Shepherd Dog as a household companion, it is important to be sure you choose a dog from a working guide dog line or a companion dog line, and avoid breeders who supply police trainers and/or shutzhund clubs. This is particularly important if you expect the dog to interact safely with children and with other animals"

Wow, that's going to rile up a whole ton of people here, lol. It seems to be condoning BYB too, the 'pet market' type of dog. No mention of show lines though - I wonder where they fit in?

Sunflowers 02-20-2014 02:24 PM

The woman does say to message her if she posted incorrect info.

I do agree that the average pet owner does not need to get a GSD from lines bred for police. We already had someone on this board have to return her dog because the breeder sold her a high-drive police dog that should not have been in a pet home with a 4-year-old in the first place.

It might be a good idea if, instead of getting all outraged, we could rephrase that paragraph and send it to her.

DWP 02-20-2014 02:46 PM

NO! The breed description is not it.

Using the unfortunate incident to ban breeds is the attrocity. GSDs will be next if this gets traction.

DWP 02-20-2014 02:48 PM

I was wrong to point out the breed description

The efforts are misguided

Msmaria 02-20-2014 02:57 PM

Instead of trying to get these dogs banned she should push education and that families of young children should think twice about having these dogs as pets.I really dont see a issue with her description of german shepherds. I think if you do have children you should be careful what line of german shepherd you are getting. Too many issues ive read on this forum and having a dog with nerves from a BYB I think its important to do just that.

Eiros 02-20-2014 03:16 PM

I think it's ok, but there seem to be a lot of generalized comments, and I'd like to know where they got their information from. "Police lines" might not make good pets for the average family, but they don't even mention that. They say that the dogs themselves are unbalanced, lack control, and are violent. Any dog can be a "bad" dog. I think stress should be more on choosing a dog that fits your lifestyle, and then raising it properly.

One thing I was curious about, the description said to avoid breeders who supply Schutzhund clubs. Don't people bring their own dogs to a club? How does a breeder supply a club? Maybe I missed something. :o