This really chaps me - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

A Proper working line dog should be the perfect family dog as long as it does not get stuck in a yard with no training, exercise, or attention. Yes there are high drive dogs that need to work and should be in working homes...not pets. BUT a well rounded working line dog with proper care and training would be a much better choice over a nervy, pet raised backyard breeder dog. They do seem to make it sound like you should avoid quality breeders!!!!
SiegersMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

You know what ive noticed,

In all the bully dog attacked my baby news i see, they always show the picture of the dog who attacked, and the dog is always muscled out wearing a big huge spike collar.

When i see some people put those big spiked collars on their bully breed dog they are almost always trying to portray the worst. So, i have to wonder the mentality that went into raising the dog in the first place.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegersMom View Post
A Proper working line dog should be the perfect family dog as long as it does not get stuck in a yard with no training, exercise, or attention. Yes there are high drive dogs that need to work and should be in working homes...not pets. BUT a well rounded working line dog with proper care and training would be a much better choice over a nervy, pet raised backyard breeder dog. They do seem to make it sound like you should avoid quality breeders!!!!

Then I agree with the poster below. Someone should contact them and let them know how their statement sounds.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When I see the spiked collars, I envision myself grabbing the dog by its collar and getting my hand all bloody on the spikes.

It doesn't matter what the article is about.

Now I think I must have an ax to grind about spiked collars.

I won't be buying one.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
When I see the spiked collars, I envision myself grabbing the dog by its collar and getting my hand all bloody on the spikes.

It doesn't matter what the article is about.

Now I think I must have an ax to grind about spiked collars.

I won't be buying one.
I prefer bandanas..lol I think it better portrays my dogs personality
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaria View Post
I prefer bandanas..lol I think it better portrays my dogs personality
I just ordered the "nomm nomm sushi" collar, with wasabi and rolls,
Old 02-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Proper care and training is one thing, and many people have those intentions, but then life gets in the way and they can't do the things they planned. This isn't just true for working lines though, its all GSD, and all breeds that were originally bred to have some sort of working purpose IMO.

This is exactly how all BSL starts...not sure why it would make anyone mad. That's the way our society works...its about prevention through not allowing ownership rather than education. I think this society has proven time and time again that no amount of education works. For every 999 people that can effectively own a "dangerous breed" there is 1 that doesn't and this type of thing happens. I completely understand why the lawmakers then go to not allowing all 1000 to own the breed because in theory...they can just get another breed of dog, that kid can't get another life. I'm 100% against BSL, but if my child was killed by a certain breed of dog that is known to be dangerous, I'd start just as big of a fuss about it.

I've also witnessed people purposely buying the black leather, studded collars. It was funny, one guy saw me walk by with my GSD and made a very proud comment that, "He can't bring his pit in the store because it would want to kill everything." Funny because my dog is getting trained in bite work and yet I have no problems at all bringing him to the store. I love when people think that others will be impressed by their DA or HA dogs...when in reality it just makes it a huge liability rather than something useful like a well trained dog can be.

I know this will be kind of controversial...but I don't get why some people do get the breed of dog they do. Like...unless you're working your dog in what its intended for, or if you're using some of its advanced abilities over another breed for something useful, do you really need that particular breed? Or will any breed give you the companionship you desire? And yes...plenty of people here own GSDs and pretty much have them for companionship, and I'm not saying its wrong, but the people on here are also generally better dog owners and can take care of that dog's needs.

Last edited by martemchik; 02-20-2014 at 04:18 PM.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

He can't bring his pit in the store because it would want to kill everything.

What an absolutely stupid comment,
Old 02-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 View Post
He can't bring his pit in the store because it would want to kill everything.

What an absolutely stupid comment,
Not just a stupid comment, but just the way he said it. Like he's proud of that. I just don't get it. If my dog was DA I'd be more embarrassed than proud. I'd be upset that I can't do the regular/normal dog things with my dog that people like to do.

I love taking my dog to the petstore. I'd love to take him to any store if it was allowed. I borderline feel bad for those that can't take their dogs to a petstore because their dog isn't balanced enough to handle it.

I actually remember a time when a lady questioned me about how I can bring my GSD into the petstore...not due to anger or fear, but because she had an unstable GSD that she couldn't bring anywhere and she thought that kind of "guarding behavior" was normal for the breed. I could tell she was kind of envious of the fact that I could take my dog to the store and not worry about anything happening.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ya i am right there, i take my guys into the pet store all the time, although i will say that, my border collie gets petted, as does my giant floppy earred GSD mix (kids flock to her, she is gentle and sweet with them) but Tyson is avoided like the black plague, children are yanked by their parents away from him like hes a time bomb waiting to happen, we continue on i tend to feel bad for him, although he is aloof and doesnt give a crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.