Ohio woman gets killed by dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Ohio woman gets killed by dogs

Yes, my dad pointed it out to me in our paper yesterday:
Killer dogs had been subject of Dayton woman?s complaints | The Columbus Dispatch

They were mastiff-mixes according to another news story.

The animal control officers went there to investigate the complaints, but unless they actually see the dog running loose and not under someone's immediate control, there is nothing they can do.

Oh, and chasing people doesn't equal attacking people.

Massive fail on someone's part, certainly the dog's owners, but maybe others as well. How sad. I am guessing the lady may have tried to protect one of her cats. But that is just a guess.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

"This is a tragic accident,” Kumpf said. “There’s nothing that would be foreseeable or doable to prevent a situation like this from happening.”"

Mmmhhmmm.....
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Its truley a shame

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

and to think the owner of the dogs was worried about cats scrathing his car. Its obvious now that the dogs were allowed to roam loose. I hope they go to jail.
Msmaria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The lady put up surveillance cameras and called dozens of times over the past 3 years. Animal Control would do NOTHING because they have to see it with their own eyes. This is exactly why I am not going to freak out when some cops kills some loose dog somewhere. People need to think that their dog will be DEAD if they do not contain them, else we have crap like this happening.

Funny think happens when someone gets KILLED by a dog. The community is outraged -- not at the owners who should be charged with manslaughter at the least, but with dogs. Look what that yayhoo said -- this could happen with any large dog. The next thing we know, we have breed bans. Who ya going to ban? Pits, Pit mixes, Mastiff mixes, Interesting German Dog Breeds, big dogs?

The owners of the dogs need to go to jail. The animal control people need to be fined or fired or something.

In Ohio, no one does anything about loose dogs until one gets shot. A GSD pup (8 or 10 months old) got shot in Rock Creek a few years back -- then the media is called in and the owners are outraged and the shooter (if known) is made out to be some sort of dog-hating evil fanatic. People call and call and call and call the dog warden or the sherriff and nobody does anything. Until someone gets killed.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
The lady put up surveillance cameras and called dozens of times over the past 3 years. Animal Control would do NOTHING because they have to see it with their own eyes. This is exactly why I am not going to freak out when some cops kills some loose dog somewhere. People need to think that their dog will be DEAD if they do not contain them, else we have crap like this happening.

Funny think happens when someone gets KILLED by a dog. The community is outraged -- not at the owners who should be charged with manslaughter at the least, but with dogs. Look what that yayhoo said -- this could happen with any large dog. The next thing we know, we have breed bans. Who ya going to ban? Pits, Pit mixes, Mastiff mixes, Interesting German Dog Breeds, big dogs?

The owners of the dogs need to go to jail. The animal control people need to be fined or fired or something.

In Ohio, no one does anything about loose dogs until one gets shot. A GSD pup (8 or 10 months old) got shot in Rock Creek a few years back -- then the media is called in and the owners are outraged and the shooter (if known) is made out to be some sort of dog-hating evil fanatic. People call and call and call and call the dog warden or the sherriff and nobody does anything. Until someone gets killed.
I guess thats one thing not to complain about in Los Angeles.. Animal Control loves to come out and fine people.
Msmaria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I hope this does happen!!! Someone has to be held accountable for this tragedy, and really pay for it.

At my last home, the previous owner had a feud going with the neighbor, and had bird feeders set up to lure the neighbor's cats and then he'd release his dog on the cats. When I moved in with my GSD, this neighbor was pretty upset when he saw my dog. When I found out why, I was very sympathetic and I assured this neighbor that I wasn't a sack of poo dog owner, and nothing like that would be going on. People are just disgusting, sometimes.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

“There’s nothing that would be foreseeable or doable to prevent a situation like this from happening.”

Is this guy serious? Plenty of ways to prevent a dog being allowed to run loose and kill someone!

I think the dog owners should be responsible for this, and I hope the animal control people get fired. What a shame, the poor woman! So sad. I find it really hard to believe that this is not someone's fault or responsibility!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sadly this sounds like my neighbor. I too have cameras all over my property.

This is very sad and the dog owner should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law. If this were an isolated incident it would have been a tragic accident. This is not isolated, the dogs have been off property and out of control a lot. Dogs that chase people are NOT always intent on attacking but it certainly is a precursor.

Everyone's dog gets loose from time to time, it happens. It has happened to me and it was my fault, I left a door not fully latched and the wind blew it open. Kayos got out and chased the neighbor dog but did not harm it.

I have cats but they stay inside and I do not like my car scratched by cats climbing on it either but that is not an excuse for his dogs to run loose.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Her calls and reports along with the owner should be investigated more deeply. I can't see how charges would be avoided by the owner. According to reports, he clearly antagonized her and the dogs picked up on that and were probably 'teased' with her by the owner; of course they attacked the first chance they got! At minimum: animal abuse. I bet the dogs were all "look dad! we got her!! Yay!!"
A girl and her dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.