German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Current Dog Affairs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/)
-   -   Ohio woman gets killed by dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/413498-ohio-woman-gets-killed-dogs.html)

selzer 02-19-2014 09:37 PM

Ohio woman gets killed by dogs

Yes, my dad pointed it out to me in our paper yesterday:
Killer dogs had been subject of Dayton woman?s complaints | The Columbus Dispatch

They were mastiff-mixes according to another news story.

The animal control officers went there to investigate the complaints, but unless they actually see the dog running loose and not under someone's immediate control, there is nothing they can do.

Oh, and chasing people doesn't equal attacking people.

Massive fail on someone's part, certainly the dog's owners, but maybe others as well. How sad. I am guessing the lady may have tried to protect one of her cats. But that is just a guess.

DaniFani 02-19-2014 09:44 PM

"This is a tragic accident,” Kumpf said. “There’s nothing that would be foreseeable or doable to prevent a situation like this from happening.”"

Mmmhhmmm.....

TommyB681 02-20-2014 05:59 AM

Its truley a shame

Msmaria 02-20-2014 12:11 PM

and to think the owner of the dogs was worried about cats scrathing his car. Its obvious now that the dogs were allowed to roam loose. I hope they go to jail.

selzer 02-20-2014 12:23 PM

The lady put up surveillance cameras and called dozens of times over the past 3 years. Animal Control would do NOTHING because they have to see it with their own eyes. This is exactly why I am not going to freak out when some cops kills some loose dog somewhere. People need to think that their dog will be DEAD if they do not contain them, else we have crap like this happening.

Funny think happens when someone gets KILLED by a dog. The community is outraged -- not at the owners who should be charged with manslaughter at the least, but with dogs. Look what that yayhoo said -- this could happen with any large dog. The next thing we know, we have breed bans. Who ya going to ban? Pits, Pit mixes, Mastiff mixes, Interesting German Dog Breeds, big dogs?

The owners of the dogs need to go to jail. The animal control people need to be fined or fired or something.

In Ohio, no one does anything about loose dogs until one gets shot. A GSD pup (8 or 10 months old) got shot in Rock Creek a few years back -- then the media is called in and the owners are outraged and the shooter (if known) is made out to be some sort of dog-hating evil fanatic. People call and call and call and call the dog warden or the sherriff and nobody does anything. Until someone gets killed.

Msmaria 02-20-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selzer (Post 5055410)
The lady put up surveillance cameras and called dozens of times over the past 3 years. Animal Control would do NOTHING because they have to see it with their own eyes. This is exactly why I am not going to freak out when some cops kills some loose dog somewhere. People need to think that their dog will be DEAD if they do not contain them, else we have crap like this happening.

Funny think happens when someone gets KILLED by a dog. The community is outraged -- not at the owners who should be charged with manslaughter at the least, but with dogs. Look what that yayhoo said -- this could happen with any large dog. The next thing we know, we have breed bans. Who ya going to ban? Pits, Pit mixes, Mastiff mixes, Interesting German Dog Breeds, big dogs?

The owners of the dogs need to go to jail. The animal control people need to be fined or fired or something.

In Ohio, no one does anything about loose dogs until one gets shot. A GSD pup (8 or 10 months old) got shot in Rock Creek a few years back -- then the media is called in and the owners are outraged and the shooter (if known) is made out to be some sort of dog-hating evil fanatic. People call and call and call and call the dog warden or the sherriff and nobody does anything. Until someone gets killed.

I guess thats one thing not to complain about in Los Angeles.. Animal Control loves to come out and fine people.

Blanketback 02-20-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selzer (Post 5055410)

I hope this does happen!!! Someone has to be held accountable for this tragedy, and really pay for it.

At my last home, the previous owner had a feud going with the neighbor, and had bird feeders set up to lure the neighbor's cats and then he'd release his dog on the cats. When I moved in with my GSD, this neighbor was pretty upset when he saw my dog. When I found out why, I was very sympathetic and I assured this neighbor that I wasn't a sack of poo dog owner, and nothing like that would be going on. People are just disgusting, sometimes.

Eiros 02-20-2014 12:52 PM

“There’s nothing that would be foreseeable or doable to prevent a situation like this from happening.”

Is this guy serious? Plenty of ways to prevent a dog being allowed to run loose and kill someone!

I think the dog owners should be responsible for this, and I hope the animal control people get fired. What a shame, the poor woman! So sad. I find it really hard to believe that this is not someone's fault or responsibility!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kayos and Havoc 02-20-2014 04:15 PM

Sadly this sounds like my neighbor. I too have cameras all over my property.

This is very sad and the dog owner should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law. If this were an isolated incident it would have been a tragic accident. This is not isolated, the dogs have been off property and out of control a lot. Dogs that chase people are NOT always intent on attacking but it certainly is a precursor.

Everyone's dog gets loose from time to time, it happens. It has happened to me and it was my fault, I left a door not fully latched and the wind blew it open. Kayos got out and chased the neighbor dog but did not harm it.

I have cats but they stay inside and I do not like my car scratched by cats climbing on it either but that is not an excuse for his dogs to run loose.

A girl and her dog 03-04-2014 02:47 PM

Her calls and reports along with the owner should be investigated more deeply. I can't see how charges would be avoided by the owner. According to reports, he clearly antagonized her and the dogs picked up on that and were probably 'teased' with her by the owner; of course they attacked the first chance they got! At minimum: animal abuse. I bet the dogs were all "look dad! we got her!! Yay!!"