Zeuterin: Canine sterilization drug - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
Mister C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 778
Zeuterin: Canine sterilization drug

This new canine sterilization drug is just hitting the US market now.

It seems like an interesting alternative. According to linked article it can be administered with a local such that general anesthesia is not needed. It's pretty cheap at $50 and cuts testosterone production by 50%.

What are people's thoughts on this method?

I'm getting a pup, maybe a male, this Spring and have just started researching when to spay/neuter. I won't be breeding so timing and method are the questions I need to solve. I know there are lots of threads on timing but haven't seen any threads on this drug.

I can see the benefits from a rescue/shelter point of view. But what I am really interested in is what this forum thinks about this drug outside of the shelter/rescue area such a family companion, sport dog, working dog, etc.

Ark Sciences Releases Canine Sterilization Drug
Mister C is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SouthEastern WI
Posts: 14,168
Until I see documentation showing that they followed dogs for 10+ YEARS after having been injected - I won't even think of using this!

The documentation on the FDA website says they followed dogs only 24 MONTHS after injection - and mainly to prove it was still effective.

Too many products/methods are brought to market without LONG TERM research on potential side effects. Early spay/neuter is a perfect example.
Lauri & The Gang is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Master Member
 
mssandslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: arizona/ where we only have one season
Posts: 971
i feel the intention is good but its just another chemical, im not a big fan of pharmaceuticals to begin with so im bias,

"And they call it...puppy looooovvveeee"
mssandslinger is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Oisin's Aoire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North NJ
Posts: 478
I agree with Laurie.

Alvin - GSD - born @ late February 2013
Bo - Boxer/Hound - born @ late June 2008
Greta - English Mastiff - born somewhere between 2003 and 2005 ,estimated.
ALL MY RESCUES!
Oisin's Aoire is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Crowned Member
 
wolfy dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 5,438
I'd prefer neutering over something this new and scary. I worry that in several years dogs come down with problems related to this "miracle" drug.
Besides sterilization if you want to get rid of testosterone, does 50% make a difference?

Last edited by wolfy dog; 02-19-2014 at 04:08 PM.
wolfy dog is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
Mister C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
Until I see documentation showing that they followed dogs for 10+ YEARS after having been injected - I won't even think of using this!

The documentation on the FDA website says they followed dogs only 24 MONTHS after injection - and mainly to prove it was still effective.

Too many products/methods are brought to market without LONG TERM research on potential side effects. Early spay/neuter is a perfect example.
Good post and I agree. Let's see how the dogs do with long term side effects/health issues. 24 months is far shy of a long term study.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Besides sterilization if you want to get rid of testosterone, does 50% make a difference?
That occurred to me as well. If you are neutering to help reduce aggression issues then is 50% less really going to solve the issue?
Mister C is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SouthEastern WI
Posts: 14,168
I did a little digging.

Zeuterin is another brand name for Neutersol (same compound - zinc gluconate neutralized by arginine). Neutersol was approved by the FDA back in 2003 but was taken off the market (I'm still trying to find out why).

Here's what the chemical does:

Quote:
Neutersol, administered by direct injection into the testicles, is a necrotizing agent that has a local effect when injected into the testicle. Based on histopathology, one or more of the following actions accounts for the drug’s effectiveness: 1) Atrophy of the testicles, epididymides, seminiferous tubules, and prostate gland and 2) Scar tissue formation which prevents movement of sperm from the seminiferous tubules to the epididymis. Neutersol does not require the use of general anesthesia, though sedation is recommended to prevent the dog from moving during injection.
FDA Approves First Injectable Solution for Sterilization in Dogs
Lauri & The Gang is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SouthEastern WI
Posts: 14,168
It's only to be used on males between 3 - 10 months of age. That's a very limited window.

Animal Drugs @ FDA
Lauri & The Gang is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Crowned Member
 
shepherdmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rural Nevada
Posts: 5,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister C View Post
This new canine sterilization drug is just hitting the US market now.

It seems like an interesting alternative. According to linked article it can be administered with a local such that general anesthesia is not needed. It's pretty cheap at $50 and cuts testosterone production by 50%.

What are people's thoughts on this method?

I'm getting a pup, maybe a male, this Spring and have just started researching when to spay/neuter. I won't be breeding so timing and method are the questions I need to solve. I know there are lots of threads on timing but haven't seen any threads on this drug.

I can see the benefits from a rescue/shelter point of view. But what I am really interested in is what this forum thinks about this drug outside of the shelter/rescue area such a family companion, sport dog, working dog, etc.

Ark Sciences Releases Canine Sterilization Drug
I was wondering about it as well. I have a male puppy 14 weeks. When he goes in for his 16 week shots I'm going to ask the vet about it.
shepherdmom is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
Mister C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 778
Thanks Laurie.

From your research:

"Neutersol, administered by direct injection into the testicles...Neutersol does not require the use of general anesthesia, though sedation is recommended to prevent the dog from moving during injection."

If I was going to have my testicles injected then a bit of sedation would probably be a good idea.

From Wiki it appears that the original version, Neutersol, was taken off the market due to business reasons. "It was developed by Pet Healthcare International, Inc. and was approved by the FDA for small puppies in 2003.[1] In 2005 however, Pet Healthcare International severed ties with its manufacturing partner Addison Biologicals, and production of the drug stopped."

Zeuterin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did some digging and found this piece: http://www.acc-d.org/ACCD%20docs/Zeu...PPPJan2014.pdf

Here is a quote from that piece on long term health effects:
"Long-term effects. In the past decade (and on a more limited basis for the past several decades), thousands of male dogs have been successfully neutered with this zinc gluconate formulation with no reports of any long-term
detrimental effects."
Mister C is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome