How could he do this to that dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How could he do this to that dog

Edmonton family looking for loving home for beloved old pet - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

This just really tore at my heart for this poor dog
BahCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Yeah....seems quite the departure from the norm...as if the dog is disposable.

I know most must feel he should see this situation to the end.

Who knows??

But I do know...I wouldn't do what he is doing.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

You get a dog, thats a life time commitment. How much you want to bet after they rid themselves of the "problem" they get a puppy... :-( sucks for him, so loyal... Poor pup

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

They are the only family the poor dog has known. What is he teaching his children? Maybe they'll treat him with the same disregard when he is older. I just don't understand it, you don't give up on family. Hopefully someone will step up and give him a home where he can be looked upon with love and kindness and not as a burden.

Last edited by Nigel; 02-01-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

After having the critter for 12 years, it would be kinder to put it down than to give it away. They are busy, raising two kids and both working, the dog has accidents because he can't handle the long days anymore. A trusted dog walker could come in and let the old dog out. They could take the dog with them, and crate it in the vehicle, safely, and let it out at lunch or take a break during the day.

There are ways to make it work if the dog is still lively. A dog that is incontinent and paralyzed and 12 years old now is on its last leg, and the end is coming. Like it or not. Time to teach your kids about loving a pet enough not to let him suffer, and to let him go.

Maybe it is cultural though too. A lot of the comments on that thing were racist, but it is true that different cultures do think of death, dying, euthanasia for pets, etc. differently.

I guess what bothers me is that these people have gone a couple of extra miles for this dog. Not everyone will purchase a wheel chair. It seems like they are not having a problem with the monetary aspect of owning a senior. Maybe having someone come in and let the dog out isn't beyond the realm of possibilty for this dog. Until he is ready to go on.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

so sad for the dog

This just happened here in CT, someone dumped their purebred gsd, who needed "wheels",,a really nice woman came adopted her, and now she's racing around in her wheels on their horse farm,,a happy ending

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
They are the only family the poor dog has known. What is he teaching his children? Maybe they'll treat him with the same disregard when he is older. I just don't understand it, you don't give up on family. Hopefully someone will step up and give him a home where he can be looked upon with love and kindness and not as a burden.
Boy, you pretty much posted exactly what I was thinking too.

What if the owner, himself, becomes "just too much work" during his older years and requires a lot of care. He better hope his family can't just discard him as easily. Of course, that pretty much is what he's teaching his kids.

Might backfire on him one day.

MyHans-someBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I agree.....what is he teaching his children? Sadly in this world, so many teach their children to be the same way. Personally I feel that is why the world is the way it is. Few know true loyalty! The second a marriage is to hard, many run. When animals become to much work, dump them off. Talking to a doctor that helps at Shriners.....a 9 year old boy had been dropped by his parents because he was just to much to deal with.....??? People are to self centered to be loyal or have dedication anymore. We recently lost our 14 year old jack Russell....he was the devil in dog form...he was so much work his entire life...the last 6 months he drew blood on all of us...they said he had doggie dementia...he would be asleep and attacking us the next second. We had to be so in guard and watch ourselves for 6 months because he would wake and be so grumpy. The girls learned that animals get old, they don't just die, they get sick and you have to care for them...and we took care of him and followed through until the end. By the time he died, we were all heartbroken, but also a little relieved because of the 24/7 danger that he had become....we knew he was at peace and would not wake up scared, grumpy or confused anymore. It was the most exhausting time for us, our teen girls were tired, worried and drained from not being able to just enjoy him any longer....they were dealing with the work part of pet ownership....I can't tell you what a lesson it was, I can't tell you how proud I was.... They were there until the end, they saw that pet ownership was not just about running and playing....they proved they were loving and loyal to a dog that was picked to be our pet so long ago. It was a hard lesson, and a sad one....but our kids did not take the choice of more dogs lightly, they knew the work involved and they are dedicated to training, working, playing and taking care of the two we now have, just like they were with the jack Russell.

I feel this guy is teaching what so many other teach, when it becomes work....run! When it is hard...run! When it is no longer fun....run!
This is why the shelters are full, why so many kids grow up without parents, why so many kids in school are failing, why the divorce rate is what it is.....:-(

mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wonder how this became news? This seems like the history of the majority of elderly pets that wind up in shelters or rescues. I wonder what the intentions were of this family for sharing their story with the media. If it was for sympathy, they definitely aren't going to get it.

But at least there will be a happy ending for the dog, because dogs that get famous this way usually end up peeking the interest of a lot of adopters.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

What an idiot. The only thing I can say is if I adopted him, LIKE **** would the family get to "visit."
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.