Designer dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Designer dogs?

We are considering getting another puppy in August or some where there about. .. so I've been researching. We don't know if we want another shepherd or another breed, and in my looking ive seen so many designer dogs. I came across an "Aluksy"... what the heck?

My research lead me to a designer dog registry (why didn't I think of that?) Both in the US and an international one!

Why the designer dogs? I've never understood it in small dogs, but shrugged it off... Now the big dogs are getting tossed into it! Alaskan malamutes and huskys are so similar, what would be the benefit to mixing them?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They make good sounding names that intrigues buyers. That's about it.

If you want a nice designer dog, go to your local shelter. I'm sure they've got plenty available.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Don't get me started on "Designer Dog" breeders. The 'doodle craze is one of the most asinine things I have seen in my life. Breeders hawk these "non-allergenic", "non-shedding", "hybrid vigor" family dogs (that are apparently supposed to be magically self-grooming) to first-time dog buyers for $2500 or more, and almost every single 'doodle owner I've known has been totally na´ve about how to raise, train, feed, and groom a dog of any kind, much less a total hair farmer. This is the demographic that "designer" breeders aim for--people who have plenty of money, but very little dog-sense. They conveniently downplay any need for grooming this dog that grows hair like an Old English Sheepdog. In a way, it's a really good racket for the breeders... and a nightmare for groomers.

On the upside, I've never met a mean 'doodle. They are generally happy, goofy, devil-may-care dogs, some are rather stubborn and hard-headed, but generally non-aggressive, which makes them a fairly benign pet for most families. I just wish the breeders would tell their puppy buyers that this is one of the most high-maintenance "breeds" you can own in terms of grooming--it has been a battle royale getting my clients to understand that their "non shedding" 'doodle still needs to be brushed if they don't want it to look like Bob Marley, but very few of them will even bother with picking up a brush, so it's at least $75 every 4 weeks to keep the hair with that long, natural, tousled look 'doodle owners seem to love.

See, I told you not to get me started. And that's just ONE type of "designer" breed.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

It's such a clever marketing ploy to call a mix (mutt) a "designer dog".

Personally I don't support these breeders, their insane prices, or the stupid dog names they come up with. I saw an ad once for for a "Gerberian Shepsky". If anyone told me that was the "breed" of their pet I'd think they were silly as heck.

Such an annoying craze.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
They make good sounding names that intrigues buyers. That's about it.
I don't even think the names are that good sounding. "Puggle" all the "doodle" ones out there and anything with 'poo' in the name sounds pretty stupid to me.

I have to say, with the Labradoodle they at least had a breeding goal in mind. I think I read somewhere that the person who started doing it is pretty dismayed at the path it took, as they were actually trying to breed good stock and start a newer low shedding breed, for people needing service dogs who had allergies.

Remember that just about all of the dog breeds started by well thought out crosses, but the problem is it takes many generations to get a consistent type, and hopefully the masses won't latch onto your idea and ruin everything, like they have done with the Labradoodle. At least come up with an original name that can be taken seriously, and do it like a proper breeder would, with health checks and temperament evaluations etc.

My friend has a Labradoodle and the thing is so hyper, socially challenged and rude to other dogs, he gets attacked all the time. My other friend is more outspoken than I am and finally told her (when she was complaining about this mean GSD who always attacked her dog, and how her dog always seems to be getting attacked) that perhaps it was her dog that was the problem. lol

The scary part is this girl fancies herself as a dog trainer and is taking a course to be a certified behavior modification trainer. And she has no idea what drives are. I think she heard me talking about my dog being high drive and decided her dog is too. Except he can't be bothered to work ...he's just hyper. Not quite the same thing. lol
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
The scary part is this girl fancies herself as a dog trainer and is taking a course to be a certified behavior modification trainer. And she has no idea what drives are.
Not knowing what drives are, in and of itself, wouldn't worry me too much.

Those aren't always terms commonly used in pet dog training, at least not in the circles I'm familiar with. I hardly ever hear that jargon used in obedience or Rally, either, and in agility it usually just comes up in the general sense of a dog being "high drive" for work -- there isn't much splitting into prey drive, defense drive, food drive, etc. like you see on this board. I actually had to learn all that stuff just to be able to follow discussions here; it was not something I ever heard used, or used in those specific ways, elsewhere.

My personal feeling is that discussion of drives can be helpful if you're choosing a dog for buying or breeding and are looking for a way to describe particular traits, or if your training approach specifically aims at one of those drives to the exclusion of others (because then it can be helpful to talk about why you're doing it that way and what the potential pitfalls are of triggering the other drives).

In the pet training context, though, I honestly think it adds more confusion than clarity. Because then you have to step back and explain everything to your audience, and at best it's a sort of fuzzy amorphous term like "intelligence" or "biddability" or whatever else. Not really helpful when what you really need is a very clear, concrete, step-by-step explanation of how to break down certain issues.

But then my biggest problem was always information overload, so there's that.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
If you want a nice designer dog, go to your local shelter. I'm sure they've got plenty available.
They probably won't, really. Well, maybe "Aluksys" or "Shepskys." Maybe.

But probably not puggles or labradoodles or shih-poos. As much as I dislike the profit-driven breeding of these dogs, the fact is, there is a profit to be made. Demand greatly outstrips supply, and by and large you cannot find these dogs in shelters. The nice ones get adopted at lightspeed.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh I agree. But if you don't understand what it is, then don't go around saying it, especially if you're planning to be a dog trainer (and I think dog trainers SHOULD know what drives are). I think it's that, plus the combination of her being totally oblivious to her dog's obnoxious behavior that does it for me.

I won't even bring my dog around hers. My dog can be reactive, she's ok with dogs who are calm, but her dog will suddenly body slam or pounce on others and she sees nothing wrong with it. My dog would freak out (we are working on it, but I'm careful with who I go out for walks with)

Anyway, that is my experience with Labradoodles. I hope to meet a few more to see if that is a typical temperament for them or not. But just based on my friend's dog...I can't stand his personality. He's the kind of dog who gets nailed and pinned on his back by other dogs and cries. Then goes back for more 5 minutes later. Which then makes me feel bad for the other dog, and wonder why it's owner isn't intervening.

Of course there was this clever adoption center that came up with a unique way to market their dogs

Mixed Breed Dog Adoption Campaign Gives Lovable Pooches New, Unique Breed Names (VIDEO)

Last edited by blackshep; 01-02-2014 at 02:57 PM.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
I can't stand his personality. He's the kind of dog who gets nailed and pinned on his back by other dogs and cries. Then goes back for more 5 minutes later. Which then makes me feel bad for the other dog, and wonder why it's owner isn't intervening.
I'm starting to think the Labradoodles (at least the ones lucky enough not to have inherited worse issues!) get that from both sides.

Labs are pretty popular in my neighborhood and I used to go to the dog park a lot, so I saw a ton of adolescent Labs who'd behave exactly that way. And this past Christmas when we went to the in-laws', their Standard Poodle (about nine months old) acted the exact same way.

He's a derpy happy-go-lucky kind of guy and undersocialized with other dogs, so I think he was just waaaayyy too excited to have other dogs to play with and didn't know what to do with himself, but after a couple of hours it was pretty clear that my dogs had about had it with him. Not my dog, so I wasn't about to correct him (beyond a very small amount of body blocking when my dog went to me for help, and even that made me feel uncomfortable); I just put my guys in another room and let the poodle cry himself to sleep outside their door (which is literally what happened).

But anyway that whole experience made me go "ooooh, so that's where it comes from" about some of the things I've seen in Labradoodles. This poodle is out of pure show lines -- almost 100% Ch.s on both sides of his pedigree, but nothing beyond a CGC and one therapy dog certification until you get past his grandparents -- so he is very pretty and very, very dopey. Huge difference from the performance poodles I see elsewhere.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I've only met one labradoodle where I didn't think, yup - they genetically doubled up on the spaz and left out anything resembling intelligence or trainability :/

And that one, geesh, he's the height of a Great Dane and has a coat like Mr Snuffleupagus. An absolute horror for his owners to keep groomed. And no energy. Won't even play with a toy. Just lays about like a hairy carpet. He's somewhat trainable. But everything is done at the speed of a 3 toed sloth.
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.