Cross-Country Skier's Dog Mistaken for Wolf, Shot and Killed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Cross-Country Skier's Dog Mistaken for Wolf, Shot and Killed

Missoula man says wolf hunter shot, killed pet malamute

I guess those who live where wolf hunting is allowed should be careful. This was a Malamute not a GSD but I know people sometimes think GSDs look like wolves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That hunter is an idiot. Those dogs had collars and lights on and they were right beside a person, and even when the person was screaming at him to stop he continued shooting his dog another 5 times? Is he out of his mind? And then he just leaves instead of owning up to his mistake? What an awful person.

Also, if people are going to hunt wolves, maybe they should figure out what they actually look like first.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

SMH some of my fellow hunters need to get a clue that's as bad as the boys that shot a hound at night cause they thought it was a coyote ugh dopey people I hope that guy gets hammered
Darkthunderplotts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I do not believe he thought it was a wolf.
Wolves don't have on collars and lights and they are not trotting right next to people.
This maniac wanted to shoot something, and he decided to shoot that dog.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I dunno how your hunters do it there but around here it isn't entirely out of the question that they are completely hammered when they decide to go shoot stuff.

I remember seeing one guy come through the hospital who was coked up and drunk and decided to go deer hunting and cut through some farmers pasture to do it when it was still dark. A full grown bull found him trespassing and proceeded to beat the **** out of him. He lost his gun in the scuffle but managed to kill the bull with a hunting knife. He did end up having to go to surgery though, and after that I would imagine to jail.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

It doesn't look like the shooter will be charged?

Authorities spoke with hunter who killed dog, say he won't be charged

Kat
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

As sad as this incident is, blame also lays on the owner of the dog. He took his malamutes, a dog known for looking like a wolf, in the wild during wolf hunting season. Further, a flashing collar on a thick coated dog was the only thing that was present to alert the hunter that the animal was a pet. From other articles on the incident you learn that he was letting his dogs roam around as he skied. Thus there were times that you would only see the dogs and not the human.

DH and I take our dogs to my FIL's farm on a regular basis. During hunting season, not only do DH and myself suit up in orange, but we also have bright orange vests that we strap on the dogs. During coyote season we only take the dogs out in the field closest to the house, and never near the neighbor's property line. It only take a split second for a mistake to be made. If the dog's fur was masking the collar, I could understand how the hunter confused the dog with a wolf. What is not excusable is the fact that the hunter walked away from the dog after realizing what happened, and never informed the police what happened.

OK, just read the most recent article. The hunter did speak with the police.
Porsche: kitty 7/2012

Teddy (collie)- 1990-09/13/2006
Franklin (collie) 1996-06/26/2006

Last edited by Caitydid255; 11-22-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Caitydid255 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

No, this is absolutely terrible. Having a cadaver dog who works in the woods, and wears a red vest, I am horrified at the idea of someone shooting him and realizing nothing will happen to them if they do.

Even if you think shooting the dog was "ok" because of the mistake, the man was TWENTY YARDS from his dog. What kind of hunter does not scope out the situation and make sure it is safe?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

the guy spoke with police.... AFTER they went looking for and found him. Real stand up guy.

I normally don't react much to one side of a story, but it this shooter was 15 yds away from a man and his dogs and couldn't tell it wasn't a ****ing wolf????? he has absolutely zero business holding a gun in that capacity.

I"ve hunted my entire life and never do I take a shot without knowing exactly what i'm shooting at and everything else going on around it before I pull that trigger.

Something like this is inexcusable. and why not release details? and why not do a better job of reporting? Is it wolf season in MT? Did this guy have a valid permit? How does his story differ from that of the guy that lost his dog?
crackem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
No, this is absolutely terrible. Having a cadaver dog who works in the woods, and wears a red vest, I am horrified at the idea of someone shooting him and realizing nothing will happen to them if they do.

Even if you think shooting the dog was "ok" because of the mistake, the man was TWENTY YARDS from his dog. What kind of hunter does not scope out the situation and make sure it is safe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackem View Post
the guy spoke with police.... AFTER they went looking for and found him. Real stand up guy.

I normally don't react much to one side of a story, but it this shooter was 15 yds away from a man and his dogs and couldn't tell it wasn't a ****ing wolf????? he has absolutely zero business holding a gun in that capacity.

I"ve hunted my entire life and never do I take a shot without knowing exactly what i'm shooting at and everything else going on around it before I pull that trigger.

Something like this is inexcusable. and why not release details? and why not do a better job of reporting? Is it wolf season in MT? Did this guy have a valid permit? How does his story differ from that of the guy that lost his dog?
I agree. Story sounds a little too 'vague'...
JMO.
Kat
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.