Game over: Los angeles most pedigree exemptions to mandatory neuter to be removed - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What happens if you are able to prove/find out that your dog is likely to have an adverse reaction to anesthesia?
Do you still have to risk your dog's life and have it speutered?

I know this is exceedingly rare, but some people opt for blood tests before hand to see if their dog is going to be at a higher risk. Some people find out the hard way that their dog has adverse reactions, but sometimes their dog is lucky enough to pull through. What if you have one of those rare dogs??

What if you had your dog neutered but had those stupid neuticles put in, but didn't think to keep the paperwork? Don't remember where you had it done? (I find it amazing how many people don't remember what their vet's name is/where the vet's office is). Do you still have to get your dog 'neutered' even though he's technically neutered?

There are so many 'what ifs' with a law like this, it's not even funny!

And like I mentioned before... speuter isn't the problem. All the law abiding citizens are the ones that are likely not contributing to the overpopulation problem right now, as it is. The over-population problem is an EDUCATION ISSUE.
-Fastest 2012 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Last edited by Konotashi; 06-28-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For GSDs, you really should do bloodwork to check for VonWilbrands Disease, and maybe other clotting disorders. I am not sure if they will still neuter but will just provide clotting agent. Not sure about the anesthetic. Maybe there are medical exemptions.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is a huge leap from this....a law designed to protect dogs from butchers to cheap to take puppies to a vet to have procedures done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post

The new law establishes penalties for dog owners who engage in the following procedures on their own dogs:
  • Cropping, trimming or cutting off an ear;
  • Debarking by cutting or injuring the vocal cords;
  • Docking or cutting off the tail of a dog over five days of age;
  • Surgically birthing a dog; and
  • Removing the dewclaws from a dog over five days of age.
The dogs owner must keep a record of the surgery, including the vet who performed it, as well as the location and date where the surgery was performed. .

...to this. Saying that if you are DRIVING thru PA with a cropped or docked dog that you have to have proof. I have never once been asked for proof that Banshee's ears were done by a vet or that either her tail or Sierra's were docked by a vet. Or any dobie I fostered. My friends own rottie's. Again, they've never had to provide proof that the tails were docked by a vet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer
I understand that if you have a cropped or docked breed and you drive through PA, you had better be able to show that the dog was cropped or docked at a licensed vet.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
There is a huge leap from this....a law designed to protect dogs from butchers to cheap to take puppies to a vet to have procedures done...

...to this. Saying that if you are DRIVING thru PA with a cropped or docked dog that you have to have proof. I have never once been asked for proof that Banshee's ears were done by a vet or that either her tail or Sierra's were docked by a vet. Or any dobie I fostered. My friends own rottie's. Again, they've never had to provide proof that the tails were docked by a vet.

[/I]
I am just relaying what was being said at the time the law was passed at my GSD club. People own GSDs and other breeds, they show both. The people were saying that national specialties would not be held in PA because people would not be able to provide proof of where their dogs ears and tails were done.

Maybe it is a leap. I could care less. I chose the GSD in part because the are au natural, and need neither clothing, or docking or cropping or clipping to be beautiful. But I remember what the others were saying and how the law is written, they can ask you for evidence of where the dog was cropped or docked.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 06-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
I know this is exceedingly rare, but some people opt for blood tests before hand to see if their dog is going to be at a higher risk.
It's actually not that rare--many breeds are known to have a sensitivity to anesthetics, and many folks do have bloodwork done prior to spay/neuter, especially on older dogs.

By the way (sorry off topic), am I the only one who can't stand the word "speuter"? Nothing personal to anyone who has used the term, but it bothers me for some reason. I know that it uses fewer keystrokes than "spay/neuter", but it just sounds goofy when you say it out loud. I generally despise made-up words like "irregardless" or "Labradoodle", and I guess this fits into the same category. Plus, it sounds to me like a word that HSUS or PETA would make up. And I once knew a dog named "Spooter", always thought it was a funny name.

I mean, we could use a word like "alter" to refer to both spay and neuter, or really, any word that isn't a goofy sounding made-up word.

/rant

I don't mean to insult anyone who has used the term, as my hatred of it could merely be a personal issue on my part. If I'm the only one who feels this way, please ignore me and carry on.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
It's actually not that rare--many breeds are known to have a sensitivity to anesthetics, and many folks do have bloodwork done prior to spay/neuter, especially on older dogs.

By the way (sorry off topic), am I the only one who can't stand the word "speuter"? Nothing personal to anyone who has used the term, but it bothers me for some reason. I know that it uses fewer keystrokes than "spay/neuter", but it just sounds goofy when you say it out loud. I generally despise made-up words like "irregardless" or "Labradoodle", and I guess this fits into the same category. Plus, it sounds to me like a word that HSUS or PETA would make up. And I once knew a dog named "Spooter", always thought it was a funny name.

I mean, we could use a word like "alter" to refer to both spay and neuter, or really, any word that isn't a goofy sounding made-up word.

/rant

I don't mean to insult anyone who has used the term, as my hatred of it could merely be a personal issue on my part. If I'm the only one who feels this way, please ignore me and carry on.
Language is living, and the coining of new words and phrases is actually on going. This is why they did something in Latin -- not sure what (maybe the latin mass, or translating the Bible into Latin), but the language was considered dead -- no one was currently using that language in every day life, so it could not be corrupted.

So really, every word and a lot of internet (well, there's one internet) chat acronyms and words, like prolly, and LOL, and WTF, TGIF, and peeps, are all just another form of how the language continues to evolve. I guess what I am saying is that you are fighting an uphill battle.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 06-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
So really, every word and a lot of internet (well, there's one internet) chat acronyms and words, like prolly, and LOL, and WTF, TGIF, and peeps, are all just another form of how the language continues to evolve. I guess what I am saying is that you are fighting an uphill battle.
Oh, I know. It sucks being the grammar police.

But words that are deliberate misspellings to make them sound phonetic in casual conversation? Like "prolly", "wanna", or "gonna"? That doesn't bother me, I use those terms myself. And I've gotten over acronyms like "WTF" or "LOL" to some degree, they are handy when texting. It's the mashing of two words together to make a new "word" that bothers me. Like the aforementioned "irregardless". I've become so famous in my hate of that word that my friends use it on purpose just to infuriate me.

Who started "speuter", does anyone know? It sounds to me like an HSUS invention.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Irregardless to your discomfort with the compounding of words, like aforementioned, it is still done. I found irregardless in the dictionary and guess what? I means exactly the same thing as regardless. That is why English is such an interesting language and probably a bear to people for whom it is a second language.

I think speuter is used as much by the anti-speuter crowd as the pro-speuter crowd. I kind of like that term, where I hate deliberate misspellings like prolly. Speuter sound like the act of vomiting and it sounds like putting forth a ton of information that is either hateful or incorrect. And in my opinion, the propaganda about spaying and neutering, is often based on untruths -- like behavioral reasons to neuter, ie. if you do not neuter him, he will constantly try to dominate you and everyone in the house; or medically, ie. the woman who went off demanding whether I wanted my dog to get cancer. She was spewing about how my dog would get cancer and die if I did not neuter him. And a lot of the stuff, that is not quite as extreme is just taken for granted, like the dog will roam if you don't neuter him, or he will be sexually frustrated if he is not nuetered.

It is all a bunch of barf in my opinion, so the combination of words kind of works for me.

I am not sure who made it up though.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 06-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Irregardless to your discomfort
RAWR!!

Quote:
I kind of like that term, where I hate deliberate misspellings like prolly. Speuter sound like the act of vomiting and it sounds like putting forth a ton of information that is either hateful or incorrect.
Interesting how we all have our pet peeves and they're all different--that's why I can't really get mad at people for using certain terms, made-up words, misspellings, improper grammar, etc.

I guess I sometimes type like I speak, so I use phonetic spellings like "prolly" in casual conversation, and it doesn't bother me when others do, but I have to know it's deliberate--I'd prolly die if someone actually thought it was spelled that way.

Speuter does sound like the act of vomiting--perhaps the onomatopoeia of the term is fitting, as the word makes me want to vomit.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #50 (permalink)

What I'm really wondering is how all of the folks in Schutz clubs are going to handle this BS. I know for a fact that they don't want to enter their dogs in Conformation shows to get around this. All of LA County is now adopting this stupid Law..

ImJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.