What an absolute abomination of police work in El Monte - GSD Killed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What an absolute abomination of police work in El Monte - GSD Killed

Police shooting of pet German shepherd sparks outrage by El Monte family (Video) - SGVTribune.com

This is just unbelievable.

As a former police officer who understands shooting scenarios, this is not one.

Unacceptable.

ImJaxon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Police Departments around the country need to really take a close look at their policies re: pets! This is the second time in a week, on this forum alone, where an incident like this happens and the police department responds by saying it is policy!

Sorry, that is not acceptable!
LifeofRiley is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow...just wow All of my dogs would do the same thing if someone/anyone entered the yard. It scares me to think that it could happen to me to. Not that long ago, my dogs were barking and growling at the door. Even my female GSD and she hardly ever barks. There was something there and I knew it. As I walk to the door a police officer is about 5 ft away from the door shining his flashlight at my dogs and it was pitch black outside. Then he actually had the nerve to ask me if they always bark like that? Really? What did he expect them to do, I could hardly see him. They were doing there job. I just looked at him really stupid, then he went on to ask how many I have. I told him and he says I don't think you can have that many. I said oh yes I can, check with the village(I already know the laws and I knew I was right) Bottom line is that he was mad that they barked at him and he thought he was going to cause trouble. REALLY made me mad
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's an easy subject to get emotional on. I try not to do that.

Just applying common sense and my training over the years, this appears to be completely unwarranted and irresponsible on the officers part.

Very sad that they had to put their dog down. I would have gave them the 7K if I knew about this before hand. So sad that some paper with green ink on it was the difference in life and death for that poor dog.

All she was doing was protecting.

I guess the officer had reading problems. I certainly would have never entered a yard with a sign so present. No way.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJaxon View Post
I guess the officer had reading problems. I certainly would have never entered a yard with a sign so present. No way.
Its interesting because I have a beware of dog sign on the very door that the officer was harassing my dogs. Yes its harassment when a person keeps doing what they are doing knowing that they are causing a reaction.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just another example. Cops get away with this stuff all the time. Their badge is a license to do as they please. Then comes the lies coverups and denials.....
Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony..RIP Your paw prints burned forever into my broken heart.
Fade2Black is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wow this is just disgusting. And for the dept. to not cover the cost of the surgery is even more so. I posted a thread just like this of a similar incident. At least this one is all on tape and its clear the officers were in the wrong
Old 06-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My back yard is fenced in, my front yard is open. No one has to open my gate to get to my front door. If they did, and I let my dogs rome in the fenced area, then these issues might happen more often.

Personally, I think if they knew the cops were coming, they should have put the dogs up or had been outside with them. I know, blaming the victim, but what is it with all these GSDs just hanging around in the back while someone gets all the way to the door. My girls are alerting when the car slows down to come into the driveway. Certainly by the time the car stops in the driveway they are barking, and they would be at the car door before it opened if they were loose.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

What will come back to burn this guy is that he is very calm and is not startled by the dog running at the fence line. His feet don't move. He doesn't jump back. He calmly pulls his service weapon and fires right into the dog intentionally. But I do not think he will be disciplined or fired. He will get a case of "I feared for my life", and it will go away. The City of El Monte already knows that the family has no money. No money to do surgery on the dog, means no money to hire a lawyer to sue. A lawyer looking for press should take this on Pro Bono.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Not a GSD but here is another recent one. Police raid the wrong apartment and kill an Iraq war Vets dog that was tied up....

Police Raid Wrong Apartment, Kill Owners Dog

Police Raid Wrong Apartment, Kill Owners Dog

6/5/2013 11:12 AM ET
A drug raid allegedly at the wrong apartment, went awry when police in Buffalo, New York killed the dog of an Iraq War veteran.
The incident happened earlier this week when the tenant received a call from his landlord who told him what had just happened. The landlord told Adam Arroyo that Buffalo Police raided his place and killed his dog, WGRZ.com reports.
Arroyo, who was at work at the time of the call, instantly started to cry and rushed home. He returned to his place trashed, with a search warrant and no police or his almost 3-year-old pit bull Cindy to be found.
There were bullets left on the ground inside, with visible blood stains.
The search warrant was for the "upper" apartment of the complex. But according to Arroyo, his residence is considered the "upper rear," WGRZ.com reports. Arroyo additionally said "They were looking for a black male. I'm Hispanic. Puerto Rican. And, they were looking for crack/cocaine."
Officials who executed the warrant found nothing inside but a baton and pepper spray the victim said he uses for safety.
Arroyo said, "People make mistakes, but this is something, it was a very big mistake, you know, especially coming in here and killing an innocent dog that is chained up. I could understand it if the dog was loose and it charged, then you know that gives them probable cause because they fear for their life, but to shoot an innocent dog that doesn't pose a threat," WGRZ.com reports.
An internal investigation is underway.
Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony..RIP Your paw prints burned forever into my broken heart.
Fade2Black is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.