*URGENT* Unfortunante Trend of German Shepherds at Dog Auctions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation *URGENT* Unfortunante Trend of German Shepherds at Dog Auctions

I was curious is anyone has been following the trends of German Shepherds at dog auctions? I have only been to a single dog auction (it was TERRIBLE!)

(If anyone is unfamiliar) dog auctions are a common occurrence in the midwest and many other locations in the US. Puppymillers sell old/unwanted dogs at auctions and amish/mennonite buyers are common. At my last auction many mother dogs were sold with their 2 week old pups on a table! Missing teeth and poor health are seen on almost all of the animals. (Note: A vet must be present on site for these auctions. The vet at the sale I went to gave a clean bill of health to a dog with a very poorly healed broken leg (visibly limping) because "he can still breed". Dog went for $625.....)

Many auction catalogs in Missouri are starting to contain German Shepherds. (Example for June 22: Auction1) They even advertise in the catalog "ALL GERMAN SHEPHERDS ARE FROM SEARCH & RESCUE BLOODLINES".

I am ABSOLUTELY APPALLED!!

Last edited by tsume_is_mine; 06-14-2013 at 02:44 PM.
tsume_is_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Does anyone else have experience with dog auctions?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have never heard of such a thing for dogs but after looking at the link and reading your story sounds like the Saturday night killer-buyer auctions I've been to for horses.

Persons with weak stomachs advised not to attend these sort of 'events'.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've never heard of them, sounds bad. They have auctions for cattle and other farm animals here, but not dogs. If there is money in it, sadly enough this will spread.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I Googles "Horse Killer-Buyer auctions" and I wish I hadn't.

It's so sad to think that people would just unload animals onto someone else without having a least a way to follow up on them...Finn just had a birthday and his breeder called me and we talked for a little bit about how he's doing and what he's up to. I couldn't imagine just giving up a dog to Joe Schmoe and never knowing what happened to them...

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've heard of dog auctions. I don't know if they still do it, but years ago at least one Bichon Frise rescue used to buy Bichons at these dog auctions and put them into their rescue for rehoming. I never could agree with this course of action ... IMHO they were contributing to the problem by supporting the people who sell their puppies at these auctions.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

The Schipperke rescue goes and takes any of the Schips that don't sell. I "babysat" one of the old dogs for a couple of years. He lived to be 17.
Home of Ch Natty; Ch Doll; U-CD Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP (ch ptd); Sara RN (ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

These auctions are where many puppy mills get new "stock". I hope some rescues come in to remove these dogs from the puppy mill life.

Here is an example of a GSD from a commercial kennel in Kansas. I dont know which kennels are cosigning their dogs though. I hate to see GSD in these kennels. I usually tend to only see small dogs mentioned in puppy mill reports/raids but some people try to profit from everything =(

Last edited by tsume_is_mine; 06-16-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

These auctions are pretty common, especially in puppy mill country. When I lived in Wisconsin I heard about them.

Rescues were split on whether it was a good thing to go in and get dogs or not (because it was obviously supporting puppy mills).

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've never heard of them but I'm not surprised. The menonite sellers at the large flea market here sell puppies. They had some Border Collie/Blue Heeler mixes for sale the last time we went. Adorable pups. Would have taken one of them home in a heartbeat but decided against it. They mentioned they were going to start breeding and selling GSDs. My only thought was NOOOOO!!!!! All puppies sold at the flea market have to be vaccinated by a licensed vet and proof provided but still. You just don't know what you're getting. Only adult female I've met was there today. Black lab. Very friendly happy girl. lab mix puppies :/
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.