German Shepherds Forum banner

Farmers Insurance no longer covering certain breeds for bites

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  KZoppa 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I wonder if they'll name more breeds later? "Three breeds -- pit bulls, rottweilers or wolf hybrids." were the breeds listed in the article. It goes on to say, “These breeds accounted for 25 percent of dog bite claims,” Freeman said in a statement. “In addition, these breeds cause more harm when they attack than any other breed.”"

#3 ·
I have to wonder when they'll start realizing the stats aren't as accurate as they'd like to think considering the general public could look at an English mastiff and say it's a pitbull. I think they really need to look at the owner and the individual dog, not the entire breed.

#4 ·
That is crazy...
One thing I love to say when people tell me I have a GREAT GSD (some seem very surprised because they are so afraid of this breed)....
"Thanks, she is great because I have raised her."
Some people understand my meaning behind this comment and some don't.
To play devils advocate on this topic...at times with my kids I will be like "do NOT go near that dog" (but I will only say that if the dog is acting aggressively and it is a breed that can over power them).
Lastly, 2 dogs from the exact litter - same bloodline, etc. Each Go to 2 different homes, one is a complete doll and the other is aggressive. Is it genetics or environment? Or both and environment proved no matter the type of breed one has control of the outcome.
Great topic BTW!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#5 ·
That is crazy...
One thing I love to say when people tell me I have a GREAT GSD (some seem very surprised because they are so afraid of this breed)....
"Thanks, she is great because I have raised her."
Some people understand my meaning behind this comment and some don't.
To play devils advocate on this topic...at times with my kids I will be like "do NOT go near that dog" (but I will only say that if the dog is acting aggressively and it is a breed that can over power them).
Lastly, 2 dogs from the exact litter - same bloodline, etc. Each Go to 2 different homes, one is a complete doll and the other is aggressive. Is it genetics or environment? Or both and environment proved no matter the type of breed one has control of the outcome.
Great topic BTW!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

you're pulling out nature vs. nurture with this one! genetics play a part in how the dog will be but we also know that how a dog is raised plays a very large part in it as well. Let the games begin!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.