Yellow Dog Project. Have you heard of this? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Yellow Dog Project. Have you heard of this?

Home

I'm really not sure where to put this thread, so if there's a better place, move it

I was reading through some of the comments on this and I'm a little appalled that people feel that putting a Yellow Ribbon would absolve them of any responsibility and/or keep people away from that dog.
I've never even heard of the yellow ribbon thing, so I wonder how many others have...?

Even IF you put a yellow ribbon - kids are always prone to running up to pet "The PUPPPPPYY!!!" (you know how kids do).

It's still not a sure thing, ribbon or not, and it's up to the owner (IMO) to watch as much as possible where you're headed and if there's going to be a lot of folks milling about wanting to touch and pet your dog.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Traditionally, a red bandana signified danger. this sounds like it's just a new fad.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Well they have 10 or 12 other countries it's been implemented I see.

A red Bandanna, I thought was festive neckwear to brighten up the dog with a bit of country appeal
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think it's a nifty idea, actually. I think something out of place on a dog (ribbon, vest, unusual collar, ect) might help keep the random run-up down to a minimum. I know the times I went to PetCo with Finn after SAR training and he had his vest and thick collar on, I got asked a lot more for permission to pet versus the person already leaning down to pet or approaching us rapidly saying, "Oh! Beautiful dog! He's nice, right?" while they are starting to rub his face. Even though my boy is friendly, I'd like it if more people asked first before just rubbing him wherever they put their hands on him. I ask before I pet any dog, I'd love the same courtesy.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think it is a great idea. I don't think it's about absolving responsibility, but trying to ALERT people to a reactive/dangerous dog. I don't think it will spread and become widely known enough to make an impact, unfortunately.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
I think it is a great idea. I don't think it's about absolving responsibility, but trying to ALERT people to a reactive/dangerous dog. I don't think it will spread and become widely known enough to make an impact, unfortunately.
I was going to say the same thing. I think it's a great idea, and I hope it does become widely known and used, but these things take a while to catch on. I just saw it on my facebook feed today.

The horse people have been doing a similar thing, with horses who tend to kick at other horses that come up behind them. They put a ribbon on the tail to warn other riders.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think it's a great idea, but honestly so is ASKING someone before charging up to their dog and hugging it. Since people have so much trouble learning common courtesy I don't see this catching on
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch

The only issue I see with it is that its not going to mean what some dog owners want to to mean to everyone. Yellow can mean supporting the troops, to suicide prevention to bladder cancer and some other things. A yellow ribbon with a heart on it stands for the survivors left behind after a suicide.

Its a good idea but not one I see being as effective as hoped to be.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Many training clubs have reactive dogs wear a ribbon. This is to alert other dog woners to give that dog space. Great idea, but it has to be explained so others are educated. I agree with Lies, it is a great idea to teach people to ASK first.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I was going to say the same thing. I think it's a great idea, and I hope it does become widely known and used, but these things take a while to catch on. I just saw it on my facebook feed today.

The horse people have been doing a similar thing, with horses who tend to kick at other horses that come up behind them. They put a ribbon on the tail to warn other riders.
Boy, the show judges would really have appreciated the ribbon in the tail thing with a particular ex-horse of mine. He used to kick sideways at human head height in the line-up (and at no other time). Either they weren't doing this back then, or it hadn't percolated to the Saddlebred world, yet.

I just wonder how useful this is. I've had idiots run up to my very unfriendly-looking barking, lunging, growling dog before yelling "Oh, look at the fluffy poodle! Isn't she pretty!". HE is black, 24" tall, and acts like he's going to take someone's hand off or kill their dog, if they have one (he wouldn't, in reality, but they don't know that). If they won't stay away from him, why would a ribbon make any difference? Rational people know not to run up to some strange dog.
stealthq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.