Sigh. I wish you all knew. - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #101 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's the thing, and trying to talk them out of it is impossible because we're looking at it from such majorly different angles. I see the overpopluation and the cruelty that goes with it, but they won't/can't/refuse to see it. They see a purebred, period. I used to get offers all the time to breed my previous (neutered GSD) male too. I'm sure I'll get offers with this puppy too. People just *have* to breed, it seems.

OT, did you notice in the news that a girl of 9 years gave birth in Mexico Jan 27th?
Our society is creeping me out bigtime.
Blanketback is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #102 (permalink)
Banned

And a lot of this would fall on the breeder's shoulders, that is, a good breeder would have recommended they have all health clearances, etc., and title the dog before even considering breeding it. AND if they can't or won't do those things, the dog is altered. Period.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #103 (permalink)
Knighted Member

And that's probably why the common thought it that all GSDs have bad hips, because when everyone and their uncle is breeding them, then yeah they probably will. So instead of thinking about what they're breeding, they just think that the breed naturally comes with the problems - stupid, but true. Our area is overrun with Labs and Lab crosses. I doubt there are many real 'breeders' involved, just people mating and out to make a buck.

The funny thing is (not really ha ha funny) lots of people have said I should breed my dog with a whole other breed! So where's the logic in that? Even my neighbor with her Lab bitch - we just looked at each other and rolled our eyes when that was mentioned to us. If you like a particular breed, why dilute it by mixing it with another? That one blows me away, it makes no sense at all.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #104 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah, I went to pick up a litter of dumped puppies and this guy out there had a Lab, purebred with papers, and she had to have been 80-100lb, fat as could be. I mean round as a barrel. Clearly overweight.
She was coming up on 1st heat so he wanted to breed her! I was like, um, if a sperm could find an egg in all that blubber it'd be a miracle but I went on to explain hips dysplasia (which is dog is now really at risk for since she's so fat) and all the other issues and he was just mystified. Never heard of that stuff in his life.
He didn't have a fenced yard. He poured two COFFEE CANS (back when they were at least 2lbs) of food into her bowl which was full at all times.
Sad.

Now. If that type owner comes on a forum (maybe someone like me told him he ought to spay), and asks, are you really going to tell him it's healthier for a dog to wait until 2 heats pass to spay!?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #105 (permalink)
Knighted Member

There's that pervasive attitude again: the guy *wanted* to breed her. What's with everyone wanting to breed? It's not just the random person, either. People who don't speuter and don't want litters are few and far between.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #106 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I do not neuter my males. I spay my females because I do not want to deal with heats from a dog who isn't registered, and well worth working and showing.

A bad owner could have a single bitch or dog and have 'accident' litters, be it their male impregnating a stray, neighbor's dog, etc. or their bitch getting pregnant by a loose dog because they're irresponsible.

A good owner could have a dozen females in heat and keep them safe.

There aren't many bad owners who are going to be on here reading this, beating a dead horse here.. We all understand the huge problem with BYBing.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
APBTLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #107 (permalink)
Banned

No, I don't think responsible owners tend to realize the massiveness of the problem.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #108 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I didn't realize the scope of the problem until I worked at a shelter.

When I was young, I thought I wanted to be a dog breeder at some point. I didn't think a thing of it, until I volunteered at the local shelter for about six months and saw how many pets are dumped, unwanted, sick and frightened. Entire litters of puppies and kittens euthanized. If this doesn't break your heart, you'd have to be made of stone.

I can't go into the shelter anymore. I simply can't go in there without bringing something home, and we already have a houseful.

People who think they want to breed their dog "because it has papers" or to let their child watch the "miracle of birth", or to make some money, or whatever, simply don't *see* the immensity of the problem--it's easy to look the other way, until you are smack dab in the middle of it. "Puppies are so cute and precious--how can it be wrong to bring them into the world, when they bring such joy? You must hate puppies!"

I notice that a lot of people here, breeders even, don't fully comprehend the issue, and continue to wonder if we aren't exaggerating the overpopulation problem. I can only guess they've never worked in a kill shelter and helped the guy from the rendering plant load dozens of frozen dead dog and cat bodies into the truck, or assisted with euthanizing perfectly friendly, healthy puppies that lick your face as you hold them for that final injection.

I'm not saying that responsible breeders have any fault or guilt in this situation. Why are pets considered disposable? Because there are so **** MANY of them. In our area it's Pit Bulls. Almost every Pit Bull I see on the street either has testicles or sagging teats. It's as though it's required to breed them, so people are constantly handing off puppies to people who don't really want them once they grow out of the "cute" phase. We have so many adolescent Pit Bulls in our shelter it would make your head spin. Why? Because there's a cuter, younger one in a box down at the Walmart for free. They are literally disposable dogs that you can use and throw away, because there'll be another one right around the corner when you tire of the first.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #109 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
No, I don't think responsible owners tend to realize the massiveness of the problem.
That's a wide brush to paint us with.
I absolutely understand the problem. I've paid to have OTHER people's animals fixed. As an APBT enthusiast, I especially understand. One of my local shelters with about 60-some dogs has nothing but "Pet Bulls" and a few (literally 2-4) other mutts who don't look Bully.

Anyone who doesn't realize what a problem we have on our hands and is a responsible, educated owner, simply doesn't WANT to know.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
APBTLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #110 (permalink)

Default Sigh. I wish you all knew.

Free Step I love your post. We have the same issue with Pit Bulls here. You can't drive 2 miles without seeing a pit or pit mix roaming. Everyone either thinks theirs is special and they need to breed it or they just stick them in the yard for the nearest stray to come along and breed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.