Sigh. I wish you all knew. - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #91 (permalink)
Elite Member

ANOTHER way to control pet population would be to just euthanize every single animal in the shelter system that displayed ANY temperament or health issue. Because the only times in this field I have EVER been bit were from nasty, aggressive little chihuahuas up for adoption. I mean, we'll neuter an 8 week old puppy and POTENTIALLY set it up for serious, life shortening, painful conditions so the mean dogs in the world can have a chance to? No thank you, I say. Priorities should maybe be reconsidered as well.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #92 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
It wasn't the money aspect but more the fact anyone actually thought that far into it.
And there's no vets out there, well, maybe a few but I can't picture it - that'd do that type surgery.
vasectomies are becoming a lot more "common", although still very rare in the industry as a whole.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #93 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I will NEVER hide the true facts from an owner I feel is responsible and simply trying to educate themselves and do whats right by their pet.
But this is where the problem lies. People simply don't want to deal with heats, and intact animals, unless they are real enthusiasts (such as some here) or else they want to breed them.
AND when there's a chance of an oopsie (such as we've seen right here on this message board) they won't do a spay/abort.

So for those owners who are just general run-of-the mill owners, the potential "may" develop health issues, do not outweigh the convenience of early s/n.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #94 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I mean...how did all the dogs get to the crappy homes to begin with??
What I'm wondering is, "How did all those homes get so crappy?"
Why do people consider animals disposable? Not you or I, but so many millions of others. Why are they so heartless? People that take puppies and kittens up to the cottage and leave them there to fend for themselves in the fall? Or leave them in the yard/apartment when they move? The ones that dump them at the shelters or call a rescue are actually the better ones, when you think about it. Geez, people suck.

And I don't believe that these litters are accidents either. How can someone honestly say that their dog got pregnant at the dog park and they didn't notice? Wow, that's some big latte - the dogs were *tied* and you didn't notice? Lol, c'mon. Most of us are watching out for play mounting already, so I don't believe that for one second.

I agree that the less offspring in the shelters would lead to less potential for rotten homes, but we've had this discussion months ago where it turns out that dogs are being imported from other countries and placed for adoption here. Like we don't have enough of a surplus already?
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #95 (permalink)
Banned

Oh that happens A LOT. There's groups in WA state dragging dogs up from Cali by the dozens...no, hundreds. I mean you have to get 30 dogs at a time or it's not worth the transport.
Like there's a shortage of dogs here!?

AND I also saw it said that "most the dogs in shelters (in the Seattle area) are chihuahuas dumped due to no housetraining and lack of socialization, and those dogs originated in California, adopted out when they got here, and dumped in short order.

So how exactly are these groups helping these dogs!???
Drives me nuts because this state is already inundated with Chihuahuas and nobody wants them anymore.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #96 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So are they bringing up smaller dogs because they're easier (cheaper) to house? And then once the shelter's full, they can't take the larger locals? What a crock. I wish we could brainstorm on this forum and find a way to eradicate the problem, but the skeptic in me says that it's a bigger problem than we think. Like, this is an industry that we can't begin to imagine.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #97 (permalink)
Banned

All I can say is, volunteer at, and visit enough kill shelters and you'll be wanting to perform the surgery yourself, in the streets.
All the arguments will sail right on out the window.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #98 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dog over population in the Southern U.S. seems particularly bad. The Free section of Craigs List here carries listing after listing of dogs and puppies. I strongly suspect any intact female older than 6 months is probably pregnant.

Attitudes vary widely - toward dogs and their reproduction. The youngster is intact because the chances of hemangiosarcoma are so incredibly less than with a spayed bitch. Hemangio is a death sentence - mammary cancer can be survived.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #99 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm already disgusted that neighbors on both sides of me have Lab bitches that are destined to have at least one litter. Because the owners *want* this, are planning for this. They're purebred! Talk about driving me crazy...
Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #100 (permalink)
Banned

Some people feel compelled, almost obligated to have litters "because she/he has papers!"

I just shake my head
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.