Judge Judy let dog pick owner? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Judge Judy let dog pick owner?

Woman bought her 10 year old son a puppy. Puppy got out when it was 5 months old, neighbor found the dog. The next day he was advised that the owner had posted on craigslist as well as filed reports with the humane society, but because the collar was "tight" on the dog he felt they didn't deserve the dog. After 2 months of just keeping the dog, his brother's girlfriend informed the rightful owners, and they ended up in Judge Judy's courtroom to get the dog back.

Judge Judy felt since the dog had been with him for the last two months it might be more bonded to him, so she let the dog pick. The poor little boy (sobbing, by the way) stood on one end of the courtroom, and the guy stood on the other end. The dog was obviously more bonded with the man that had taken the dog for the last 2 months.

Judge Judy sat the kid down, talked to him real nice, and then brought out a little puppy she had just bought (some long haired little thing haha), and explained real nicely to the kid that taking the dog away from them might be mean to the dog who was already bonded through no fault of it's own. And if he wanted a puppy like that or any other puppy, the guy was going to pay for it. And she ordered the guy to pay them 2500$ for a new puppy, but that he didn't have to give the dog back (the lawsuit was either for the dog back or 2500$)

Your thoughts on this? I feel really bad for the kid. He should of given the dog back, two months the dog will bond again. The poor kid and his mother were sobbing.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Judge Judy messed up. What a horrifying precedent.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

I donno, if it took them 2 months before they tried to get there dog, and they were willing to take the money, they couldnt have wanted it that bad.
I do feel bad for the kid because it wasnt his fault, but maybe now he will keep a better eye on his pet, and not put the collars on so tight!
Sawwahbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It didn't take them two months to look for their dog. The started looking that day. It took two months for the neighbors to come clean on stealing the dog. Because when you take something that does not belong to you and you know the owner is looking, that is stealing.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Judge Judy messed up. What a horrifying precedent.
I'm not sure how much precedent is set lol. I don't see any Justices referencing any Judge Judy episodes in any future case, but who knows these days
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

excuse me for using the wrong word. why don't you pick the proper one

Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
It didn't take them two months to look for their dog. The started looking that day. It took two months for the neighbors to come clean on stealing the dog. Because when you take something that does not belong to you and you know the owner is looking, that is stealing.
oh, I misread that.

well, they still went to a TV judge instead of a serious one. They must have known what they were getting into.
Sawwahbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

I agree with Michelle. Judge Judy messed up. Although I do like that she made him pay for the dog he stole.

Collar too tight? Really?!

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawwahbear View Post
I donno, if it took them 2 months before they tried to get there dog, and they were willing to take the money, they couldnt have wanted it that bad.
I do feel bad for the kid because it wasnt his fault, but maybe now he will keep a better eye on his pet, and not put the collars on so tight!
The owners didn't know the man had the dog. He had found it one block from where their house was. When they discovered the dog was gone they searched the neighborhood, posted on craigslist, and filed a report with animal control and the humane society. The day after it ran away, the man's brother's girlfriend saw the craigslist ad and told him "Hey, I think you have these people's dog." He SAID he went to their house two times (both times when they weren't home), but because they didn't answer the door he never gave them the dog back. He never tried to call them, and he said he couldn't afford the internet so he couldn't check craigslist. It wasn't until 2 months later and the brother's girlfriend found out he hadn't returned the dog, that she contacted the real owners to tell them "Hey, I know who has your dog".

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I haven't seen today's episodes yet (not 4pm in Seattle yet) however I am surprised by this. In a previous episode there was the same type of scenario. Dog got loose, was found, owners posted signs and reported to the HS without luck. Then one day four months or so later the owner's sister is walking through a parking lot and sees the dog in a car. The owners sues for the dog back and *cough* the thief sues the owner for harassment and vet bills. The owner did get the dog back but he did have to pay the vet bills.
angelas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.