Nat Geo new show 'Alpha Dogs' Good or Bad for WLs? - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #51 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Many LEO dogs live with their families...they are "real dogs" with a job.
Show line dogs are ALSO used as LEO & Military dogs....it simply depends on each individual dog.

*I would hate to break it to the officers that partner with their SL dogs...that they aren't real dogs.*
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #52 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
True, but a lot of us here have this 'type' of GSD!
I know, and as I've said about a million times now, most of the people who post here aren't what I would consider "average pet owners".
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #53 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I know, and as I've said about a million times now, most of the people who post here aren't what I would consider "average pet owners".
Gotcha! Some of us, though *cough* may be considered that by others.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #54 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
Many LEO dogs live with their families...they are "real dogs" with a job.
Show line dogs are ALSO used as LEO & Military dogs....it simply depends on each individual dog.

*I would hate to break it to the officers that partner with their SL dogs...that they aren't real dogs.*
I don't know if you were responding to my post, but in no way did I say that show dogs aren't "real dogs", or that they can't work. Only that there is a difference in looks and conformation, an alternative to what people are used to seeing.

Most people don't get to see actual working dogs very often. I just like that working dogs can grab the spotlight for a moment, so people can see a different type. I only hope that people don't get any crazy ideas about getting an "ass eating" working dog to guard their pot grow or whatever.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #55 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I LOVE the Working Line dogs too....

I am more worried about "the average Joe"....trying to take a tiny bit of "show knowledge" and creating "real ass eating" dogs of their own.......
I would REALLY hate to see the Working Line dog "type" get stereotyped.....as the Show Line already does.
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #56 (permalink)
Crowned Member

FWIW, there were very few GSD's on the show, and I doubt they will be a dominant breed as it keeps airing. I don't think the general audience is going to be biased on the breed and how the stereotypical split affects working because of the show. It is entertainment...and if anything the viewers probably have no clue what is a WL or what is a SL. That goes for the Mals as well. Can anyone tell unless you know the breed whether its a SL or WL?
I think they are more concerned about not giving secrets away on how to train certain behaviors and the weak spots that could make the dogs vulnerable.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #57 (permalink)

Having worked along side Military Working dogs and their Handlers for 6 years, I thought the show was interesting and in my opinion I think a general audience will like it becuase it may not be something they have been exposed to.
I also recognize it a TV production and edits will make it look how they want. But again, I liked it.
THe other difference is Military and LE dog training were the template of the military and thats where the training generally came from. In this day and age, many of those military and LE folks have taken the opportunity to fill an industry need and are now contract or private firms.

"BigDogSolo"
Maja's Muse
Bigdogsolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #58 (permalink)

I was a little disappointed in the 1st two episodes. I guess I was hoping for a bit more about how the dogs were trained and a little less about the personalities of the trainers involved. To me, it seemed a bit like "Pawn Stars with Dogs" with the emphasis on the outrageousness of the people over the dogs. Oh well.

What I'm really looking forward to is "Glory Hounds" — the series about the military working dogs in Afghanistan. Apparently the filmmaker got special permission to embed with the MWD teams.
PXDesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #59 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Why did you turn it off? That was a cop making reference to finding a dog that would get the bad guy
Is that what you think the cops need??? An ass eater?

Maybe a better choice of words should have been "a nice strong, solid dog with the ability to do the job??"

Police K9 departments have enough to worry about just in liability issues...

Quote:
I guess I was hoping for a bit more about how the dogs were trained and a little less about the personalities of the trainers involved. To me, it seemed a bit like "Pawn Stars with Dogs" with the emphasis on the outrageousness of the people over the dogs. Oh well.
Exactly!!

But I'm sure we're not going to see all the training that really goes into these dogs..

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, CGC ~ soon to be titled... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #60 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PXDesign View Post

What I'm really looking forward to is "Glory Hounds" the series about the military working dogs in Afghanistan. Apparently the filmmaker got special permission to embed with the MWD teams.
Where do you think those dogs in Glory Hounds come from?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.