Nat Geo new show 'Alpha Dogs' Good or Bad for WLs? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
These are for military handlers and the dogs cannot back down when threatened, so the ass eating comment makes sense in that context.
It made sense to me, I never thought twice about it.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I watched the show.....it is simply just a "show, a program".
It portrays dogs being trained for Military & LEO programs.

People have always had an interest in "what it takes to make a Police or Military K9"...and the show captures some training excercises that are required.
We were invited to watch (privately) a couple of our own dogs that were being trained for LEO....and it was very similar (except for the 6ft building jump)...and that the trainers used drugs instead of explosive scents.
It takes a lot of work! It is very demanding, and MANY dogs do not make the final cut.

The only thing I found annoying on the show is the constant reminder that they had "Military Top Clearances" for doing their work......no need to constantly repeat.

Programs use different breeds of dogs for different jobs......it all depends on the dogs qualities being trained.
I think the show can be educational.....but no matter how much education there is offered in the dog world.....you are still going to find those "special" people, who only want and breed.....REAL DOGS! (insert facetious tone here).....JMHO.

Last edited by robinhuerta; 02-10-2013 at 12:12 PM.
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

...Good points about the context. Here's where a problem is IMO:

In the trailer one of the trainers said, in a ...well it was a sneering tone of voice...."if you want a 'pet' go to 'petco' ' Like having a dog as a pet is wrong or boring or stupid? Not a cool meme to latch onto given the problems of pet overpopulation and all the dogs which die in shelters.

It's entirely possible that these trainers support rescue and people who have dogs..to.be.'just'.pets.....but unfortunately the reality format demands drama. That drama can be a real 'turn off' for some.

Just wait 'til the PETA types get wind of this....too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Why did you turn it off? That was a cop making reference to finding a dog that would get the bad guy It wasn't just an ordinary person doing a tracking session with a highly trained dog. I don't understand why you were talking to the tv?

Last edited by Gwenhwyfair; 02-10-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Gwenhwyfair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #44 (permalink)

It was interesting. I know there's alot of apprehension about average people wanting such dogs, trying to train them, etc. but I think that happens regardless of a TV show. I think the handler bite in the weapons testing portion might fuel some wrong fires, and my husband commented that it might make some people realize that not all dogs are fine in any hands. There are people of all sorts with opinions of all sorts, this program won't make or break that. I've seen worse things on tv
Sue
justde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #45 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I had to add channels to my current 'package' in order to watch this show! I didn't finish with the second episode yet. I thought (so far) it was VERY cool to watch!! These aren't just 'trained' dogs, but military and LE dogs. I've always loved to watch them work! I don't think that a place like this would just buy any dog. They generally have established breeders or brokers they go through....so I'm not too worried about that. My breeder is good about who she sells to and what type of dog she sells to who. My favorite dog of hers... I'll NEVER get a pup from him because he's just way too much dog. His pups only go to select buyers who are fully equipped to handle that type of dog. (Another thing I love about her!) So I don't think that people will be breeding a bunch of byb dogs and selling them to this type of training program. I really like the show, though!

Maybe I'll see if I can go watch them sometime. They aren't that far from me.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't see anything wrong with taking some of the training they do and training at home...the nosework in the box with the ball is a good example. Its harmless and something that even I could train at home. Sadly I don't have access to a helicopter and I'm afraid of heights, so I guess the sixty foot building is out too
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I haven't seen the show yet.

What I am hoping is that people get the message that:

a) the amount of professional training that goes into these dogs. They don't just magically know how to do this stuff.

b) these dogs are NOT suited for the average pet owner.

c) these are actual WORKING dogs, as opposed to the show dogs everybody is used to seeing on TV. Even a novice can see the difference in looks and conformation, and if working dogs are getting some press, it can help the public understand that there is something out there other than show dogs.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #48 (permalink)

I loved this show and I hope people become educated about these dogs. If you want to get one you better do your research and learn how to properly handle them. They are different from your regular companion pet. I noticed you did not see any show line GSD only working lines.

In my case here soon Kaylee will be ready for her evaluation. We are close to getting our proofing done. I swear tennis balls are great for training, lol. I loved how they showed that in the show. I look forward to more episodes too!
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I swear tennis balls are great for training, lol
Tennis balls are cheap....and not good on the teeth. I've never ever given them to my dogs.
Hope the bad guys don't start carrying tennis balls around, throw the ball and run the other way!
I remember when I trained with some LEO K9 trainers, they said that is the best way to distract a working dog.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #50 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I haven't seen the show yet.

What I am hoping is that people get the message that:

a) the amount of professional training that goes into these dogs. They don't just magically know how to do this stuff.

b) these dogs are NOT suited for the average pet owner.

c) these are actual WORKING dogs, as opposed to the show dogs everybody is used to seeing on TV. Even a novice can see the difference in looks and conformation, and if working dogs are getting some press, it can help the public understand that there is something out there other than show dogs.
True, but a lot of us here have this 'type' of GSD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.