Article: is the Dog Fancy at a Tipping Point? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

And to add - does EVERY rescue dog have problems? Of course not! And is every well bred dog the epitome of stability and good health? Of course not! Everyone needs to be realistic. My "amazing" 1500$ working line pup could very well have severe hip dysplasia by 2 years of age. I don't want to sound like I'm saying every rescue dog is horrible and there's no such thing as a good healthy one and every well bred dog is perfect... But I hope everyone just gets the point of what I'm trying to say. There isn't a problem with EITHER one, to each their own choice in life, and we all just need to support each other and work together.

BTW - I've volunteered in shelters for the past 14 years. First as fostering, and in the last 3-4 years volunteering in the medical aspect. Despite only wanting to purchase purebred dogs from breeders I trust, I feel like I do a lot more to help shelter animals than some, if that will stop anyone from judging lol.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 04:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

Wrong post
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

I was a foster home for a very aggressive dog rescue group for years... I loved it. At the time I was a student and didn't have the stability to commit to the whole life span of a dog. It enabled me to have dogs in my life, even if it was only on a temporary basis.
Today I have two "pure bred" dogs and two "designer dogs"
I don't see anything wrong with a person having whatever dogs they wish, so long as they are committed to the whole life of the dog. If people would honestly weigh their ability and stability to be able to commit to 10-15 years of care to each dog they own, including all expenses, then rescues would only have run aways. The problem isn't byb's. The problem is people taking on a commitment they're not ready for. Regardless if the dog is pedigreed or designer or junkyard mutt,,, if you don't commit to the time to train and/or have the financial resources to care for the dog, the odds are stacked against the dog to have a "forever home"
I think the public as a whole needs to be educated as to what is truly expected of a dog owner to be successful. The culture of "disposable" temporary dogs amongst certain folks needs to be phased out through education. If a person can't reasonably predict where they'll be in five to ten years, and predict that they'll have the time, space and money for a dog, they need to maturely pass on that cute puppy.

Last edited by Yoschi's_Pet_Human; 01-10-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.