Another dog shot by police (non GSD) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnershigh108 View Post
It's not an excuse. It's a factor that gets added up towards other factors upon other factors upon other facts that result in a decision made within' split seconds. We then have hours, days, and months to monday morning quarter back that split second decision.
Still, they chose wrong and need to find a new line of work where they do not have the option to exercise deadly force. They prove ill equipped to do their current jobs. Doesn't matter if it was split second or they had a 10 minute tea party to pontificate on the subject. They lack sound decision making under duress, and I like my cops to be level headed, cool under fire, and committed to non-violence.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would like to add that just because someone has a badge does not make them infallible. For instance, two were discharged from my 'local' area for planting evidence not so long ago.
We are ALL human. It does not magic away when a uniform is put on.
Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
ShenzisMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #23 (permalink)

I gotta say...I have come to dislike the instant-blind-defense of the cops almost more than the stories/videos of the dogs getting shot. I have a close friend who is a cop, and he's a bit on the extreme side when it comes to LEO (he almost never sides against the police, which is fine...he's the one who puts his life on the line every day) and I am often able to put myself in his shoes. I still take on each report/story/video on a case by case basis before forming an opinion. While it seems the majority of the situations I've come across on THIS forum have been (imho) unnecessary and/or avoidable, I don't just throw a blanket judgement on all cops using deadly force on dogs. But I just really can't relate to the people (some from this thread) who not only voraciously defend the LEOs, but based on their comments apparently didn't even read the article or watch the video.
FirstTimeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnershigh108 View Post
I I'm sure he felt remorse, guilt and every other feeling that goes through a human being after taking a life like that.)
Now when exactly do you think that he started feeling remorse after he tased(spelling?) the dog the first or second time, no wait maybe it was after he shot him the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th time??? It takes five shots to kill a dog and hit a vehicle(outside of the area where I'm sure civilians were)??? I'm thinking that maybe this officer needs to go back to the firing range to learn how to shoot and maybe learn what a button looks like to close a garage door...All they had to do was close the garage door, how hard is that?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Of which, the 911 caller said the dog wasn't aggressive lol. Only those officers say it was dangerous.

just wanted to remark on this....

how many times are we all on this board with our own stories of meeting strangers on the street with growling, snarling dogs who say "don't worry! he's friendly!!"? Seriously, if I had a nickel every time I was told this, I'd be rich.
Dainerra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
All police should take the most elementary training on dog behavior and this sort of thing can be avoided. It's bad enough that I will not pull over for a cop if I've got my dogs with me without first calling the dispatch and informing the cop of the situation (they aren't fond of you just exiting your car). Ironically, with a "Working K9 in Transport" warning on my dog trailer, most think I AM a cop and wave, thumbs up, etc lol.

Anyway, I've been bit a billion times. It's not that painful.
The ignorance of this is appalling. Not even worth replying too. Believe me, no one mistakes you as a cop LOL
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeah'sMom View Post
To x0emiroxy0x: Would you be supportive and understanding of police "shooting dogs before they're injured " if your dog's life was at stake? I don't think so!
If my dog ran at a police officer growling and barking, he should be shot.

However, I never let my dog off leash and he has a perfect recall to go into the apartment. Smart people make sure this situation would never happen.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

I think all of you should go on one midnight ride-a-long in San Antonio or Houston to see how many aggressive pitbulls and large dogs are encountered in a single shift.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
The ignorance of this is appalling. Not even worth replying too. Believe me, no one mistakes you as a cop LOL
Actually, I can second his experience.
I was let go by a cop that actually asked me what police agency I am with and I told him I'm not with an agency but with an all volunteer team and then he still let me go without a ticket. My team mate was let go by a cop without a ticket. In two years I've been stopped only once. That's it.

Our Schutzhund group is perceived as Police Dog training. We are in the middle of a city on a football field at an old school ground and I've asked my trainer why nobody ever calls the police because of the noise. It's because they think our dogs are police dog and because there is also a cop training with us and the first time I was out there, she was in full duty uniform and with her car. So that strengthens the picture.
The average person doesn't know the difference between Police Dog work or Schutzhund. To them it's all the same.

It gets even better, on post I had Soldiers driving up wondering what the dogs are doing out of their kennel because apparently mine look just like the military working dogs they have. They thought I somehow was involved with working them.

You don't seem to know much about how people perceive things. If you drive around with a dog trailer that says caution working k9 of course you get people that think that these are police dogs. Maybe you have not made that experience yet, however, quite a few of us did. So don't talk about ignorance when you haven't made that experience yet.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
I think all of you should go on one midnight ride-a-long in San Antonio or Houston to see how many aggressive pitbulls and large dogs are encountered in a single shift.
Oh for crying out loud...
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.