Another dog shot by police (non GSD) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

All police should take the most elementary training on dog behavior and this sort of thing can be avoided. It's bad enough that I will not pull over for a cop if I've got my dogs with me without first calling the dispatch and informing the cop of the situation (they aren't fond of you just exiting your car). Ironically, with a "Working K9 in Transport" warning on my dog trailer, most think I AM a cop and wave, thumbs up, etc lol.

Anyway, I've been bit a billion times. It's not that painful.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
Go on youtube and look up "pitbulls attacking cops" or "dogs attacking cops".

Maybe that will help you realize why officers shoot the dogs before they are injured.

There are the few cops that are animal haters or power hungry, but it is offensive that people constantly make posts about how the "cops in general" have shot another dog.

Don't call 911 when you are robbed or dying if you have such a problem with cops.

Sheesh.
Most cops are good people, but if you think all of them are then you have a serious intelligence deficit.

And everyone here has every right to say that some cops are complete nutjobs and STILL call 911. Welcome to America, where people are allowed to have negative opinions of the government services they pay for and still use those services.

Ugh. I loathe people who say things like this. It's so completely UnAmerican to try and shut down anyone's right to criticize authority.
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

To x0emiroxy0x: Would you be supportive and understanding of police "shooting dogs before they're injured " if your dog's life was at stake? I don't think so!
Meeah'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Im glad everyone is able to know exactly what the officer was feeling at the exact moment he decided to shoot the dog. Im guessing the officer felt threatened, scared and most likely feared that he or someone else around may be in danger. He stopped the threat with the last resort.

I'm sure that the cop wasn't just thinking (hahaha i get to shoot this dog) I'm sure he felt remorse, guilt and every other feeling that goes through a human being after taking a life like that.) What makes it worse is people who do not understand blowing it up on the internet and TV.

It is sad that the dogs life had to end like that but I'm glad that everyone else was ok. Also, I'm happy that recently a group of people have gotten together to train police departments on dog behaviors to better educate the officers. This kind of training needs to reach out to police departments all over the US.
runnershigh108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnershigh108 View Post
Im glad everyone is able to know exactly what the officer was feeling at the exact moment he decided to shoot the dog. Im guessing the officer felt threatened, scared and most likely feared that he or someone else around may be in danger. He stopped the threat with the last resort.

I'm sure that the cop wasn't just thinking (hahaha i get to shoot this dog) I'm sure he felt remorse, guilt and every other feeling that goes through a human being after taking a life like that.) What makes it worse is people who do not understand blowing it up on the internet and TV.

It is sad that the dogs life had to end like that but I'm glad that everyone else was ok. Also, I'm happy that recently a group of people have gotten together to train police departments on dog behaviors to better educate the officers. This kind of training needs to reach out to police departments all over the US.
So we can't say what he was thinking but you get to be sure?

Wasn't the catch pole the first, and from what I saw in the video, perfectly effective resort?

Any idiot would know tazing a dog is not going to calm them in any way. Exceedingly poor judgement on the officers part. They should be removed from their position as they have demonstrated incompetence and incorrect application of deadly force...
Old 11-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

Hunter you are right, my guess is as good as yours. I hate hearing about these stories and I wish more departments could be provided training on dog behavior.

Im not trying to pick a fight on here, that is not my intention. I would just like people to use their heads a little. Nobody knows what was going through the officers mind at that split second. The media of course will make a story of it and say the dog was non-aggressive and a very well behaved thing. The media needs that controversy to make a good story. Just like when an officer is involved in a shooting the suspect is always "turning their life around" or "a really good person that was on the right track".

The video shows a 2 dimensional view of a 3 dimensional scene. The only people that know 100% whether right or wrong are the ones involved.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Hunter you are right, my guess is as good as yours. I hate hearing about these stories and I wish more departments could be provided training on dog behavior.

Im not trying to pick a fight on here, that is not my intention. I would just like people to use their heads a little. Nobody knows what was going through the officers mind at that split second. The media of course will make a story of it and say the dog was non-aggressive and a very well behaved thing. The media needs that controversy to make a good story. Just like when an officer is involved in a shooting the suspect is always "turning their life around" or "a really good person that was on the right track".

The video shows a 2 dimensional view of a 3 dimensional scene. The only people that know 100% whether right or wrong are the ones involved.
Of which, the 911 caller said the dog wasn't aggressive lol. Only those officers say it was dangerous. Regardless, if it was on a catch pole, it was no longer dangerous. That like shooting a murderer you already have cuffed and in the car bc he was dangerous lol... Not at that point he wasn't. Same reason in the military you cannot shoot a surrendering enemy soldier, someone parachuting into, or an enemy medic (all war crimes)... They are not dangerous at that point in time. Neither was the dog once it was restrained

If my 135lb butt can singlehandedly manhandle an adult male GSD doing his best to maul me with just my hands without getting bitten, then two cops with a catch pole can handle a house pet without discharging firearms in a dense residential neighborhood.

Last edited by hunterisgreat; 11-27-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Of which, the 911 caller said the dog wasn't aggressive lol. Only those officers say it was dangerous.
The officers don't talk to the person making the 911 call. Do we know whether the dispatcher informed the officer the dog was non-aggressive and even if he was informed the officer is entitled to change his mind based on what he is witnessing. I agree with you on this one, "only those officers say it was dangerous."

I do not condone these officers actions, just based on the video I believe this dog could have lived another day with a little training as I have mentioned in all my other posts. To blame the police officer...immediately without taking into account all the possibilities is wrong. IS he scared of dogs, does he have dog training, has he ever owned a dog, did he feel threatened, did he believe his partner missed putting the dog handler thing on??? We don't know.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
The officers don't talk to the person making the 911 call. Do we know whether the dispatcher informed the officer the dog was non-aggressive and even if he was informed the officer is entitled to change his mind based on what he is witnessing. I agree with you on this one, "only those officers say it was dangerous."

I do not condone these officers actions, just based on the video I believe this dog could have lived another day with a little training as I have mentioned in all my other posts. To blame the police officer...immediately without taking into account all the possibilities is wrong. IS he scared of dogs, does he have dog training, has he ever owned a dog, did he feel threatened, did he believe his partner missed putting the dog handler thing on??? We don't know.
If a cop is scared of black people does that excuse police brutality trends? Cops like that make me scared of cops. Should I shoot cops?

At the end of the day, the dog was on a catch pole. The officer shot it because he wanted to, not because it was necessary. In my experience the dispatcher relays any info for SA to the officer immediately.

Reminds me of a South Park episode where they were hunting illegally by yelling "he is coming right at me!" before firing to claim self defense.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
If a cop is scared of black people does that excuse police brutality trends? Cops like that make me scared of cops. Should I shoot cops?

At the end of the day, the dog was on a catch pole. The officer shot it because he wanted to, not because it was necessary. In my experience the dispatcher relays any info for SA to the officer immediately.

Reminds me of a South Park episode where they were hunting illegally by yelling "he is coming right at me!" before firing to claim self defense.
It's not an excuse. It's a factor that gets added up towards other factors upon other factors upon other facts that result in a decision made within' split seconds. We then have hours, days, and months to monday morning quarter back that split second decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.