German Shepherds Forum banner

Retired K9 shot in his own home!

8K views 55 replies 25 participants last post by  KatsMuse 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I guess it's blocked in your country.
Here's the text.
GREENACRES-- A Highway Patrol trooper's pet dog, a retired K-9 named Drake, is recovering after being shot repeatedly during a break-in at the trooper's home.

A CBS 12 news crew got to see Drake moments after he underwent hours of surgery at Simmons Veterinary Hospital in Greenacres, on Tuesday.

Dr. Ken Simmons called the shooting of the dog an obvious attempt to kill the animal. Drake was shot in the top of head, neck, a front leg, and a back leg. Simmons says had the bullet to the head hit somewhere else, the wound could have been fatal.

"That's the one that should have taken him right out," remarked Dr. Simmons, pointing out how the bullet entered above the dog's right eye, tore through his tongue, and exited below the jaw bone.

The veterinarian added, "There's some speculation about whether the dog might have had the guy's hand in his mouth when he shot him, because he shot him at point blank range." The suspect likely was avoiding his own hand, when firing at Drake's head, Simmons said.

The doctor says the trooper is understandably angry his dog was shot, but is grateful to the Forest Hill emergency clinic for keeping Duke alive, and that he continues to make progress.

Dr. Simmons says he's amazed Drake was able to survive and come through it so far, but he has a long way to go.

Donations for Drake's bills are being accepted at Simmons Veterinary Hospital.

#8 ·
Great! I hope the bite gets infected or is bad enough the perp has to seek medical treatment and is arrested while doing so.

@Kyleigh I noticed when I'd try to get hockey info from some Canadian sites, I would be blocked. I don't understand this.

#18 ·
Update!

There has been an arrest. Yay!

Hopefully you can see this link. It was posted on the FB page of their local news.
Timeline Photos | Facebook

Silver lining to this, as nominal as you can scrape together...

HE SHOT A COP DOG...he might as well have shot a cop, he's going down!!!! and I'll bet he'll be getting the beating of a lifetime, he'll wish the dog had done him in. P.O.S.!!!!!!!!

#17 ·
Wow this dog is absolutely amazing, as a college kid wanting to go into the DPS K9 unit this makes me so angry. This goes to prove that these guys make outstanding guardians, companions and officers, not wasting a second thinking about himself and doing what he had to do to protect his home and family. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to get a partner like him one day! Sending prayers for the poor guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#23 ·
I'm following the story on FB as well....GUTWRENCHING!! I have "Liked" the vet clinic's page and they are posting regular updates. The vet who's care he is in is flying him to Gainesville, FL this morning because he is a pilot. There is fluid on his lungs and they are very concerned. They may have to do another emergency surgery.

Oh, how I hope this guy pulls through!! Here's their FB status as of an hour ago:

"UPDATE on DRAKE:

Drake is a bit more alert this morning. However he is still building fluid in his chest. Dr. Simmons is flying him to Gainsville this morning to see a team of experts for a problem with his esophagus from one of the bullet wounds. Please continue to pray for him!"

If you want to "Like" their page to see their updates it's: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Simmons-Veterinary-Hospital/152664101494068

#25 ·
GSD Lovers - Please Help This Story Go Viral on K9 Shot 4 Times Clinging To Life!

Hi Everyone!

Many of you probably have heard - and more haven't - about the story of Drake, the 5-yr old retired K9 that was beaten and shot 4 times at point blank range while trying to protect his home while his trooper, owner, was at work. Thank GOD the thug was caught - but Drake is still fighting for his life and needs all the thoughts and prayers coming his way that he possibly can!

I just created a FB page to help spread the word about his story so we can make it go "viral" and get him all the thoughts and prayers he deserves!! This morning, the vet who is caring for him actually flew him to Gainesville, FL (he is a pilot, too!) to do a CAT scan and possible emergency surgery - as his lungs are now filling with fluid.

I do not know Drake - I am just a TRUE GSD lover through and through and I have a strong marketing background - especially on Facebook! I KNOW that with social media we can form an army to help fight for this guy's life - as he SO deserves every chance he can get!!

Just go to: www.facebook.com/PrayersForDrake and click "Like" at the top....then go to the settings wheel under Drake's photo and click the "Share" button to spread the word!

Thank You!!

Attachments

#26 ·
I am all for this, I totally support you. I do wonder, however, why a retired K9 wouldn't have similar benefits as retired police officers do medical wise. They are considered police officers when they're on duty, people can be charged for assaulting a police officer when they assault a k9. I guess I just always naively assumed a k9 dog would be taken care of by the dept during/after it's public service.

#28 ·
There's another FB page set up for Drake.
As of this morning he is still hanging on but the vets are worried that one of the bullets may have nicked his esophagus.

Here's the new page.
http://www.facebook.com/PrayersForDrake

#29 ·
71 "Likes" In Only ONE HOUR!!!

WOW....thank you to all of you who have "Liked" this page already!!! It's really picking up speed - and Drake was flown this morning to Gainesville, FL for possible emergency surgery by the vet himself - as he is a pilot!! They are very concerned as he has lots of fluid in his lungs - so we need to spread the word so we can get as many thoughts and prayers coming his way as possible!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.