British talk show host questions Cesar Millan - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It looked like CM got cornered an was very uncomfortable. I actually felt bad for him. I disagree with a lot of what host was saying. It seemed as if they only brought Him on the the show to attack him. I'm not really a CM fan but this didn't seem right.

As for the use of tools. They are tools, why not use them? Not every dog can be trained purely positive and not every dog can take corrections. I thought that's why we have all these different training techniques and tools. So we can modify styles to fit each individual dog.

Last edited by mycobraracr; 10-31-2012 at 11:20 AM.
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
It looked like CM got cornered an was very uncomfortable. I actually felt bad for him. I disagree with a lot of what host was saying. It seemed as if they only brought Him on the the show to attack him. I'm not really a CM fan but this didn't seem right.

As for the use of tools. They are tools, why not use them? Not every dog can be trained purely positive and not every dog can take corrections. I thought that's why we have all these different training techniques and tools. So we can modify styles to fit each individual dog.
That was entirely the point.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't like the host.
Caledon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

He should have known what he was going into.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
He should have known what he was going into.
LOL I have to agree with this, too. While I *do* like CM, I dont feel sorry for him in this instance. What did he think was going to happen?

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

That guy was a jerk and CM handled him just fine.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

At least Cesar doesn't run from being confronted.He knows that a lot of people don't like his methods,but he always faces it. That's more than a lot of less well known trainers would do.There was nothing mentioned about the good things CM has done, just bad. I am sure CM is used to it by now though.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If I was in CM's place, it would have been a fiasco, lol. What's a "barbaric spiked collar" anyway? I've never seen one. LMAO.
Blanketback is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

The host was a complete moron, I know one thing, I would take my dog to Cesar any day of the week over that idiot.

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
LARHAGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
I'm surprised this thread has stayed so inactive... Nobody wants to point out that the host seems to have issues with prong collars, chock chains, and e-collars? I'm not particularly a Millan advocate, but it would be quite difficult indeed to support and talk about your view of aversive conditioning if the person you are talking with is adamantly against tools that the majority think are generally ok for use- like prong and e-collars.

My take is that the majority of "average, joe-schmoe" pet owners are the type of people who view a prong collar as a torture device while in the same thought they smash their dog's face into a poo accident in the house, smack them on the head, and take them outside... Kinda hypocritical.

I'm not really making any claims about CM- there's a ton of threads here already discussing him and his tactics, but this interview would be almost impossible to get your point across. I think his "political" answers of barely (if at all) answering the question by repeating his stance on the broad topic was about the best CM could have possibly answered.

Actually, it is really only Americans that feel that prong collars and e-collars are necessary to control or train dogs. The people in England (where the host is from) and in many countries, do not find them necessary, and see them as kind of barbaric.

I personally feel there are other ways to train a dog, than using these tools. Cesar was on though when he said people are already using the tools, he shows them how to use them properly. The host was on about how easy it is for people to abuse the tools.

I am shocked at the level of intolerance there is on anyone who disagrees with Cesar, even if they come from a country where these tools are not used, and therefore not needed or recommended.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.