British talk show host questions Cesar Millan - Page 14 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #131 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Uhm, Codmaster, I am from NE Ohio and have lived here all my life. I see prong collars every day. they are even on tiny little dogs. Yes, trainers here in NE Ohio encourage the use of prong collars and will fit dogs with prong collars. It is pretty much the norm here. The police dogs have prongs, people training dogs for the ring often start with prongs.

I generally feel that I am bucking the system and the people on this board by NOT using a prong.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #132 (permalink)
Elite Member

I see prongs on ALL kinds of dogs here in Ottawa ... it's pretty much the norm here too. Sometimes I feel like I'm the ONLY one that doesn't use one.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #133 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
And then the mods will give YOU a warning. Something like inciting a riot. YEP - been there, done that. I've been slapped.

But I have a question for you: Do you get the impression that dogs on the whole are better behave in England or in the US? Don't know - never paid attention.

For myself, I don't know how you get worse behaved that the dogs in the US. I said it was something I READ - not something I believed.

Treats are a tool. The idea of giving a dog a steak dinner after it bites you, shows how you really do not understand positive training at all. Oh Good Lord - I was being snotty about giving the steak dinner... The fancy trainers had us treating for EVERYTHING. We carried pouches, bags, filled pockets. Had treats hidden all over the house. And the dog learned to behave. But only with treats. We used them the ways we'd been taught.
The dog's biting has almost ceased. Not from treats, but with different training.

Here's my wish for the New Year --- people who dislike topics like CM or ecollars: Stay Away from the topic, then. Please. Some of us would like personal opinions - from actual experience. Not personal beliefs about these topics, especially if all it does is produce negative talk.

PS - Why is the word "moron" allowed here & thew word "ignorance" is not?
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #134 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforfire View Post

Is this how you make a UK (or other non US) member feel welcome, and like contributing to the board?! Unbelievable!
So codmaster should not be able to give an opinion that YOU think is not PC enough?

THAT is unbelievable to me.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #135 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
The dog's biting has almost ceased. Not from treats, but with different training.

Here's my wish for the New Year --- people who dislike topics like CM or ecollars: Stay Away from the topic, then. Please. Some of us would like personal opinions - from actual experience. Not personal beliefs about these topics, especially if all it does is produce negative talk.

PS - Why is the word "moron" allowed here & thew word "ignorance" is not?
I wish the word for the Fiery Pitt was allowed, and words like moron and idiot were banned.

I think there can be good positive training and bad positive training. I also think there is good use of corrections and bad use of corrections, but whatever. I am terrible about treats. I don't want to bother with them. I don't keep them on my person. After the first set of classes, I rarely use treats in training.

Someone should branch off and start a Stepford site, where you are only allowed to comment if you agree with the general premise. Then everyone will be in agreement, everyone will be happy, no one will learn a thing, but they say ignorance is bliss.

For here, and I hope it continues, people discuss topics, and other points of view are valuable, even when they might be argumentative. As passionate as we are about our dogs, I certainly hope this site does not lose that passion, and when people are doing something they feel is dangerous, inhumane, or unhelpful, they will continue to voice their opinions.

Consider the newbie dog owners, who come on and read something, like a thread showing a vid of a dog chasing around a laser pointer. No one wants to be negative, so no one bothers to tell the guy that he can be creating serious issues, and the newbie sees that and decides to try that too.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 12-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #136 (permalink)

Here in Delaware very rarely do I see people using prong collars, e collars, or choke chains. These devices are not the norm around here for majority of the dogs I see. Every now and then I might see people using these devices.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I wish the word for the Fiery Pitt was allowed, and words like moron and idiot were banned.

Someone should branch off and start a Stepford site, where you are only allowed to comment if you agree with the general premise. Then everyone will be in agreement, everyone will be happy, no one will learn a thing, but they say ignorance is bliss. LMAO at this!!!

For here, and I hope it continues, people discuss topics, and other points of view are valuable, even when they might be argumentative. As passionate as we are about our dogs, I certainly hope this site does not lose that passion, and when people are doing something they feel is dangerous, inhumane, or unhelpful, they will continue to voice their opinions. Ahh, come on - you don't there's a few that just LIKE to be argumentative?!

Consider the newbie dog owners, who come on and read something, like a thread showing a vid of a dog chasing around a laser pointer. No one wants to be negative, so no one bothers to tell the guy that he can be creating serious issues, and the newbie sees that and decides to try that too. Another lesson we learned the hard way. Only happened once, but that was all it took --- Ziva jumped in as we were using the laser to play with the cats. She came outta nowhere. Since she could step on them & hurt them, we put the light away. She spent the next hour just staring at the carpet... (1)
(1) - But why doesn't the light affect cats the same way? They don't go nutso after chasing the light...all it took was for us to see that dog for an hour afterward. Funny, no one believes me when I 'suggest' they not use the laser & tell them about Ziva. Oh, I know now - "OCD". Don't know if I believe that, but I certainly know what I saw.

Especially for newbies (or near-to-newbies, like me) - I still think it'd be nice to be able to discuss a topic without the hoopla - from both sides of the topic. How are we to learn if either everyone is arguing about principle, or slamming the newbie?

Guess that should be a different topic on its own, right?!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #138 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
(1) - But why doesn't the light affect cats the same way? They don't go nutso after chasing the light...all it took was for us to see that dog for an hour afterward. Funny, no one believes me when I 'suggest' they not use the laser & tell them about Ziva. Oh, I know now - "OCD". Don't know if I believe that, but I certainly know what I saw.

Especially for newbies (or near-to-newbies, like me) - I still think it'd be nice to be able to discuss a topic without the hoopla - from both sides of the topic. How are we to learn if either everyone is arguing about principle, or slamming the newbie?

Guess that should be a different topic on its own, right?!
We are a large and divers site. We have members from a variety of countries, cultures, religions, races, with GSDs in common. We have members that range from aspie to social butterfly and everywhere in between. We have kids in school and people with graduate level degrees (I think). We have LEOs, teachers, engineers, military, medical etc, etc, etc, The idea that we will all agree on anything other than GSDs are awesome is pretty daunting.

Just like there is no test that you have to pass to let your dog walk around PetsMart with you, there is no internet manners class that you must pass to be allowed to post here. There are rules, but rules do not teach you how to come across in such a way that no one on the site can possibly take it wrong.

So, really, I think you are out of luck. Just saying it like it is. This is a hot topic. Some are hotter than others. After being slapped, I stayed out of the training threads for a year or so. But I don't really care anymore, and only go with active topics now, so I never know where I'll wind up.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 12-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #139 (permalink)

Quote:
So codmaster should not be able to give an opinion that YOU think is not PC enough?

THAT is unbelievable to me.
Not at at all, it was just an eye opener for me that views from countries other than the US are of no interest to some.

Fair enough, and I will now bow out of this conversation as it is going very OT.
Questforfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforfire View Post
Not at at all, it was just an eye opener for me that views from countries other than the US are of no interest to some.

Fair enough, and I will now bow out of this conversation as it is going very OT.
That's not what was meant by the comment, I am sure. But that's OK.

selzer --- --- I always enjoy your wit! You brought smiles to my face today - Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.