Adopting a shelter dog vs purchasing from a breeder - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #51 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I was denied a budgie at the HS because I had an intact female. This was a stray I'd found, and kept. I told them that if they checked their records, they'd see that I had my info on file for them as a contact if anyone came in looking for that particular dog. It was only a month later... Brains, and the capacity for intelligent decision-making, seem to be on the wane.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #52 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
I was denied a budgie at the HS because I had an intact female. This was a stray I'd found, and kept. I told them that if they checked their records, they'd see that I had my info on file for them as a contact if anyone came in looking for that particular dog. It was only a month later... Brains, and the capacity for intelligent decision-making, seem to be on the wane.
As far as I know a budgie is a bird, right? So were they worried you were going to breed a budgie to the female dog or something?
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #53 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not really sure I buy into the entire 'guilt' thing. I suppose it could just be me. I'm not bothered by what others think of what I do. I've purchased from breeders, I've fostered, and I've adopted from rescues.

I'm really suprised by this:

Animal shelters in the USA have been casting a wide net to fill their kennels for years. According to the US Public Health Service, Chicago O’Hare was the destination airport for 10,125 dogs imported from overseas in 2006, half of which weren’t vaccinated. Scientists from the Center of Disease Control estimated that over 199,000 dogs (38,100 unvaccinated) came into the country through the Mexican border that year alone, and in 2007, one organization in Puerto Rico by itself shipped more than 14,000 strays in seven years to the United States for adoption at shelters. ABC News reported that according to G. Gale Galland, veterinarian in the CDC’s Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, as many as 300,000 puppies a year – most from countries with little or no health safeguards, are being imported to satisfy the demand for puppies at shelters.

We PTS thousands of unwanted animals in our shelters, because of lack of room. Only to bring in other animals from other countries? Seriously? Because they are eaiser to adopt? Because those pets might bring in more money?

That really ticks me off.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #54 (permalink)
Crowned Member

And it is true, unfortunately, not sure about the numbers, but a couple of kids got a puppy from I think Puerto Rico, and the two puppies that went to different homes, had rabies.

This is one I found, but there are more, I remember some actually got adopted out with a family with kids.

From:somerville dog: a weblog: Adopting across state lines
"Description: On May 20, 2004, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH) State Laboratory Institute confirmed the presence of rabies in a 3-month-old puppy that had been imported from Puerto Rico on May 18. The puppy and 5 other dogs had been flown to an animal shelter in Boston, Massachusetts from San Juan, Puerto Rico as part of a stray animal relocation program. Upon arrival at the shelter, the puppy was observed with an unsteady gait. The following day additional neurological signs developed and the dog was euthanized and subsequently tested positive for rabies virus antigen; variant typing is pending. None of the animals are reported to have been vaccinated against rabies."
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #55 (permalink)
Crowned Member

WHY? If we are putting animals to death due to over crowding, why are we shipping them in from other countries? I'd like to know where the dollar exchanges hands on this one. Are we paying them to provide shelter dogs, or are they paying us to take them off their hands.

That is just insane.
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 10-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #56 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueDoNimm View Post
I agree with those that say it's not breeders, but irresponsible pet owners who are filling shelters with dogs. I recently read a blog post where the author talked about being annoyed with her cats more now that she has kids. It was meant to be humorous and talked about the cats waking her baby up just as she'd put it down for a nap, that sort of thing. Nowhere did she say she hated her cats or wanted to get rid of them. The comments, on the other hand, were horrible. Sooooo many people saying they hated their pets and wanted them to die now that they had kids. People saying they locked their pets in one room, ignored them, took them to no-kill shelters, dropped off fat, old, unhealthy pets at shelters, released them outside to fend for themselves, and on and on. They felt perfectly justified, too, because their baby might get germs from the animal or eat dog hair or whatever. It was truly sickening. I had no idea so many people think it's perfectly normal to get rid of a once "beloved" pet once they had children. And, worse, they're teaching their kids that pets are disposable. Some even said they would have pets again once their kids are older, which is awful.
My sister-in-law's dog is basically being treated the same way and it drives me crazy. This dog was a house dog all her life and then my SIL had children and the dog was exiled to the backyard. This dog escapes all the time, so much so that they don't even go looking for her when she escapes. They've said so many times that they hope she runs away forever, and that if the dog catcher takes her to the SPCA they aren't going to get her back. She's such a nice dog, she doesn't deserve to be treated like that.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #57 (permalink)
Knighted Member

WD, yes it was a bird. The woman told me that they don't adopt out to irresponsible pet owners. And because I'd given shelter to a stray, who I assumed wasn't spayed, I fit their description. But I was good enough for them to be a foster home for their cats, just not up to their standards for adopting. My lesson: lie if you think you're speaking to an idiot, because they only hear what they want to hear anyway, lol.

Selzer, thanks for posting that. It's mind-boggling! I'm with you, Lilie - I'd like to know where the almighty dollars are going too, and who's supporting what.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #58 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What is the insentive to import puppies from other countries?

Well, frankly, I think if the over-population problems in shelters went away, a lot of people would be out of work. No, not the minimum wage or volunteer shelter workers. No, the lawyers, and lobbyists and the whole HSUS structure from the very top all the way down. It is huge business. They NEED dogs in shelters, they NEED puppy mills, they NEED all those nasty photographs from puppy mills or Katrina and even dog-fighting to separate money from good-hearted individuals.

It makes sense for them to import puppies from outside the US. Nobody talks about it much. But full and over-flowing shelters help their agenda. It keeps them pulling in donations, which pays the bills and the salaries.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

Yep, it's business, which is why I don't donate to Shelters at all. It's the bleeding hearts that are affected the most by it.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #60 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What a vicious circle.
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.