Adopting a shelter dog vs purchasing from a breeder - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

I got the looks and was called murderer by some of these righteous people even though I fostered and took in dogs. It's another reason why I no longer foster. I never got that at a dog park or from people I met on the road or at the vet. It's always been people involved into Rescues and mainly on the same facebook page I was at.

I am still trying to help when I feel that I'm in the place to help (see Ma Deuce).

As for Speuter, that is a totally different beast and I cannot stand when somebody gives me the "You must get your dogs spayed/neutered" speech. I cannot stand these flyers and posters.

When people hear that I have intact dogs, they always assume that I am going to breed them to each other. They always assume I've had a litter already.

I don't even know why they have the need to know if my females are intact but everytime time I truthfully answer "they are intact." I get the look and question "Oh, so you are going to breed them?"
And then I am like "No! Where I am from people keep their pets responsibly and they get only speutered for health reasons and not because of convenience and lazyness!"

I also can't keep my mouth shut on facebook. Whenever I see one of these posters I have to get my opinion out there because it does become personal. Because of that kind of propaganda I can't go anywhere without getting the look of not having a speutered dog.

You even get discriminated at the town hall. Registering an intact dog costs 20 Dollars. Registering a neutered dog only 5 and yeah, they gave me "the look" too!
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #43 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When I bought my puppy's license, I would have had to pay more for an intact dog. But because the woman was reasonable, and my puppy was only 4 months old, she charged me the neutered price. Now it's in the system, lol, so renewals will be based on that. I'm not going to volunteer the info, I don't think it's any of their business, and I don't understand why everything has to be 'dumbed down' to accomodate the most ignorant of the human race. I get the "when are you breeding him" question too. Stupid people, lol. Hey, my tubes aren't tied and I don't have any children, so I think I have a handle on it, lmao.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've also gotten that BS about a shelter dog dying when I bought from a breeder, it really made me mad. SURPRISE ... that shelter dog would die regardless of where I got my dogs since I don't want to adopt a dog from a shelter. I prefer getting my puppies/adults from breeders who in turn give me support when I have a problem, who know their dog's lines, and are interested in the well being of their animals throughout the dog's lifetime.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueDoNimm View Post
I agree with those that say it's not breeders, but irresponsible pet owners who are filling shelters with dogs.
Exactly!
For all the good rescues and shelters do, there is a downside. In an effort to help people who really need to rehome their dogs, they also attract people who think dogs are disposable. They've made it easier for people to be irresponsible although I'm sure that's never been their intention.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #46 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post

You even get discriminated at the town hall. Registering an intact dog costs 20 Dollars. Registering a neutered dog only 5 and yeah, they gave me "the look" too!
Yes it costs me an extra $40 each year to renew Ben's license so basically we are fined for keeping them intact.

Truly the ones I want to support are the breeders I know that breed for health and temperament, commit themselves to finding thre right homes for each pup they produce, will take back a pup if for some reason the owner can no longer care for it. The breeders I personally know like this also happen to be excellent trainers and offer free services at rescues and shelters and help place these dogs in suitable homes . These breeders do so much good and if more people supported them there would be less homeless dogs

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #47 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've seen shelter staff guilt adopters into getting a dog when they said that they wanted to think about it for a few days and then come back if the dog was still available. The staff member coincidentally mentioned that 'Buster's last day is today and he is on the kill list after the shelter closes'. This was said not only in front of the adults,but their two kids that they brought with them. The family immediately adopted the dog,and it luckily worked out. IMO this definitely isn't the right way to get a dog adopted,even if it is their last day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
I've also gotten that BS about a shelter dog dying when I bought from a breeder, it really made me mad. SURPRISE ... that shelter dog would die regardless of where I got my dogs since I don't want to adopt a dog from a shelter.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #48 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't know how to word this so it makes any sense, so please bear with me, lol - I think we're being short-sighted when we say 'irresponsible breeding' because then it's implied that all dogs should be altered to avoid it. I think that's reducing it to a level that will take away from the truth. I see alot of people who think they should breed their dogs because they're "good dogs" and for some reason they think that's reason enough. But they don't have 12 people lined up waiting for the puppies, and they don't want to keep them themselves. They're creating a supply when there's no demand. If they were told that any surplus pups would be taken to the zoo and fed to the lions, I know they'd put more thought into it.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
I've also gotten that BS about a shelter dog dying when I bought from a breeder, it really made me mad. SURPRISE ... that shelter dog would die regardless of where I got my dogs.

Yup, the quilt trip of "you killed a shelter dog because you bought from a breeder" really isn't a thought that has really been thought about. It doesn't matter if you got the dog from a breeder, you could get a dog from the same shelter and a dog in that shelter is still gonna die.

People need to get pets that actually fit in their home. Its not breeders, or even people who don't spay and neuter that are the problem, its people who don't actually THINK about getting a dog before they do, or those who are quick to dump off a dog for reasons that can be fixed.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #50 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When I started to look seriously for a GSD, I contacted the rescue in the Pacific NW. There was a lovely (spayed) female I was interested in and filled out the application.
Without talking to me they refused to consider me because I have an intact male dog. Like he would breed this spayed female!! I am fed up with the control of some of these rescues. So I looked for a breeder and found (and bought!) WD.
These hard core rescues with all their over-the-top requirements prevent many dogs from finding good homes. I had a client who was looking for a Coon hound at a rescue and found 15 dogs in their home but was denied a dog because he had to go to work. So he traveled to the South and got one from a shelter.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.