Adopting a shelter dog vs purchasing from a breeder - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
You sound young and idealistic.
You are half right.

Lila mit der Floppy-Ohr
Ellie Rubmybelly
Teddy the Fearless
Chaz the Spaz

Pokey - you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone
Zoey - may you catch the UPS man
Auggie -may you find the peace you never had
Zookeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #32 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think the ones should feel guilty are the puppy mills,byb,and irresponsible people who dump their pets when they shouldn't have gotten them in the first place.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
Michelle, I took from this that it's ridiculous to vilify good breeders, and the people who cry "breeders are evil" should really take a look at the big picture. Personally, I agree. It's not that I don't like/haven't rescued/adopted shelter dogs and cats before, but I'm sick of people saying "You BOUGHT a dog?!! Why would you do that?! A dog DIED in the shelter now!" Am I wrong?
Exactly. I agree with all that, Aimee. Buying from good breeders does not populate the shelters, it is not killing dogs. I have a strong objection to pet stores selling animals and won't shop at any that do because they are supporting BYB and puppy mills. But nobody is killing a shelter dog because they chose to buy from a good breeder. I didn't dump an animal in a shelter and I refuse to have the responsibility put on me for someone else's irresponsible action so these articles always make me roll my eyes.

As far as the HSUS, the commercials they put out imply they support local shelters nationwide. Nowhere have they ever stated in their commercials that their shelters are in NYC and their money only goes to them. I also strongly object to people dumping money into the HSUS thinking their money is going to help local shelters while our local HS survive on local donations...to me, it's a lie by omission and taking money away from our locals. The HSUS is no better than PETA, IMO.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
I think the ones should feel guilty are the puppy mills,byb,and irresponsible people who dump their pets when they shouldn't have gotten them in the first place.
I have to agree. I do think that the recession has effected people and if you cant pay the rent and buy food for your kids you probably will have a tough time taking care of your pooch. However as I look at the future I would like to go to a reputable breedcer who I can see the evidence of theior breeding in the dogs they've bred . I also have A GSD from rescue and he is my heart dog. That being said I look at Carmspack's Nick and Huerta Hof and other breeders here and think great dogs ,great knowledgable breeders and I'm definitely tempted ok more then tempted I want that. I have family members who wouldnt cross the road to help an animal but throw insults at folks who buy from breeders , particularly reputable ones.The prejudice is there as it exists in almost every aspect of public life. Everything appears to be more absolute. BTW I love the West Minster show. I hope one day to go. When you perserve an old breed be it horse,cow or dog you perserve history. The problem is that few of us herd or have estates to patrol and dogs who were bred to do jobs dont have that job anymore. I have to say meeting GSDs at AKC shows Ive met some great love bugs.Love the Norwegians and the Cardigans and the Polish Shepherd. I think the fact that Pure bred rescues rescue as many dogs as they do and most breeders (reputable ones) help with that as well speaks for itself.
The article was great thanks for sharing .

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I have a strong objection to pet stores selling animals and won't shop at any that do because they are supporting BYB and puppy mills.
Same here. There is a pet supply store in my town, I used to buy raw food there... until I found out the owner was selling "designer" puppies out of her shop.

Quote:
I also strongly object to people dumping money into the HSUS thinking their money is going to help local shelters while our local HS survive on local donations...to me, it's a lie by omission and taking money away from our locals.
That is my issue with HSUS too--they funnel money away from the local shelters. Like PETA, they are an AR organization, whose ultimate goal is to end pet ownership. Their TV commercials are tear-jerkers for sure, and may help bring awareness about animal neglect and abuse, but I just don't know what the HSUS is doing hands-on to help animals. They make a lot of money; are they simply a PR firm?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think this article is right on the money. I have bought dogs from breeders and adopted from shelters. All are great dogs and all were bred by some breeder of some kind somewhere.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #37 (permalink)
Elite Member

Most of these replies resound well with me! I just realized that those SPCA commercial that make pull at my heart strings are completely geared to make us give money, They do not encourage shelter adoptions or volunteering which I happily support. I do not feel guilty for no giving money when it may go to supporting an agenda I am against.

On another note, I ordered some baby clothes for my new born grandaughter last week from a place in Florida and later saw that it appears to be Puppy Mill so cancelled he order. I would feel rral guilt for supporting them.

Teacup Puppies for Sale and Boutique for Children and their Pets - Cassie's Closet

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #38 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom View Post
I have family members who wouldnt cross the road to help an animal but throw insults at folks who buy from breeders...
My family isn't quite as bad, because they do love animals, but they think I'm wrong too. They have no clue about different breeds and when they adopt they don't consider what the individual dog will be, just that the dog is now a family pet and tah dah, all is well. Maybe the people pushing to get rid of breeders have this problem too - they don't see the bigger picture, and just lump all dogs together as one type.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbieg View Post
I just realized that those SPCA commercial that make pull at my heart strings are completely geared to make us give money, They do not encourage shelter adoptions or volunteering which I happily support. I do not feel guilty for no giving money when it may go to supporting an agenda I am against.
Exactly..it's all about guilt and tears and send us money...but WHAT are they actually doing for the animals?

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #40 (permalink)

I agree with those that say it's not breeders, but irresponsible pet owners who are filling shelters with dogs. I recently read a blog post where the author talked about being annoyed with her cats more now that she has kids. It was meant to be humorous and talked about the cats waking her baby up just as she'd put it down for a nap, that sort of thing. Nowhere did she say she hated her cats or wanted to get rid of them. The comments, on the other hand, were horrible. Sooooo many people saying they hated their pets and wanted them to die now that they had kids. People saying they locked their pets in one room, ignored them, took them to no-kill shelters, dropped off fat, old, unhealthy pets at shelters, released them outside to fend for themselves, and on and on. They felt perfectly justified, too, because their baby might get germs from the animal or eat dog hair or whatever. It was truly sickening. I had no idea so many people think it's perfectly normal to get rid of a once "beloved" pet once they had children. And, worse, they're teaching their kids that pets are disposable. Some even said they would have pets again once their kids are older, which is awful.

My family had many, many pets growing up. I think almost all the dogs came from breeders, the cats just showed up and stayed. My parents taught me that pets are a responsibility and it is our duty to take care of them for their entire life if we choose to bring them into our home. Of course, there are cases where it's better for the animal and everyone involved that a pet be responsibly rehomed, but I will never agree with taking a pet to a shelter because it's become an inconvenience.

My mother currently has a 9 year old collie and she has said that she will likely go back to the same breeder to get another collie once hers is gone, because she's been such a great dog. She thinks it's great that my GSD is a rescue, but she has certain qualities she would like in her next dog and I see nothing wrong with her buying from a breeder. Sure, I feel warm, fuzzy feelings knowing my dog went through several homes and is now in his permanent home and treated better than anyone else living here, but if I was looking for a dog to do specific training/work and wanted certain traits, bloodlines, hip or health guarantees, or whatever, I would look at breeders.

The article was certainly eye-opening. I had no idea that not all animals in shelters here are domestic.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.