Adopting a shelter dog vs purchasing from a breeder - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
I think the article was well written. Adopting dogs is a great if that's what people WANT to do but there's no reason to try and make someone who buys from a breeder feel guilty about it.
I thought the article was poorly written and full of misleading and incorrect information. It attacks the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) for only giving 1 percent of its money to shelters. Where did HSUS ever say that its mission was to fund shelters. It has five shelters of its own. It also funds advertisements to encourage people to adopt from shelters. This is a good use of funds.

The article also implies that shelters are doing something wrong by taking in dogs from other countries. Don't dogs from other countries deserve a chance at a good home in the U.S.?

I laughed when I read that the author wrote that Puerto Rico sends dogs into the U.S. Puerto Rico is part of the U.S. My local shelter takes dogs from places all over the country where they are less likely to be adopted because they have a better chance of being adopted here. That's a good thing, right?

The real problem is not breeders, but people who don't spay/neuter their dogs. It is the unexpected litter which causes dogs to end up in shelters. Responsible breeders will not breed more dogs than they can sell.

Lila mit der Floppy-Ohr
Ellie Rubmybelly
Teddy the Fearless
Chaz the Spaz

Pokey - you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone
Zoey - may you catch the UPS man
Auggie -may you find the peace you never had
Zookeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookeep View Post
The article also implies that shelters are doing something wrong by taking in dogs from other countries. Don't dogs from other countries deserve a chance at a good home in the U.S.?
I didn't read the article and I don't have a problem helping any dog from anywhere, but it might not be a bad idea to start here. With so many homeless dogs here, it really doesn't make sense to not help them first. Its the same thing with starving people in other countries, what about the people here? In a perfect world we can help them all, but in reality we can't save them all.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Very interesting read. While I am blessed with a great rescue GSD, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to purchase a dog with a pedigree, known history, health guarantee, and that was bred exactly for what you want.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I didn't read the article and I don't have a problem helping any dog from anywhere, but it might not be a bad idea to start here. With so many homeless dogs here, it really doesn't make sense to not help them first. Its the same thing with starving people in other countries, what about the people here? In a perfect world we can help them all, but in reality we can't save them all.
The dog whose life is saved does not know or care which country it came from.

Lila mit der Floppy-Ohr
Ellie Rubmybelly
Teddy the Fearless
Chaz the Spaz

Old 10-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
Very interesting read. While I am blessed with a great rescue GSD, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to purchase a dog with a pedigree, known history, health guarantee, and that was bred exactly for what you want.
I agree 100%, but I openly admit that everytime I start looking at breeders for my male GSD(in the future), I end up looking at rescues instead. All I want is a pet, I'm willing to work the dog if its able, but its not that important to me. I'm looking for a companion that can go where I go, enjoy life with me. I also like a challenge, which going the rescue route is ALMOST a guarantee. Down the road I can say that I did good by the dog and the dog turned into what I wanted. My oldest is a rescue that was returned 3 times by the time she was 10 months, I still can't figure it out. I did spend the first couple years trying to stay one step ahead of her, she is by far the smartest dog I've ever owned
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 10-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
The dog whose life is saved does not know or care which country it came from.
This is true, but why go elsewhere when they are everywhere here? By doing this, how will it ever be under control here?
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 10-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
This is true, but why go elsewhere when they are everywhere here? By doing this, how will it ever be under control here?
We need to do more to encourage people to spay/neuter.

Lila mit der Floppy-Ohr
Ellie Rubmybelly
Teddy the Fearless
Chaz the Spaz

Old 10-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
It's an issue because some of the shelters are funded by tax dollars, and the taxpayers don't think we should pay to clean up other places' problems.

When they have the room, our local shelter takes in dogs from overcrowded shelters in central CA, and a lot of people around here don't like it--and that's within the same state, within about 300 miles! I guess the issue could be the same with privately-run rescues that receive donations; donors might not necessarily agree with the practice of bringing in dogs from outside the area.

Personally, I'm on the fence with the issue. It seems that we have enough problems of our own, but... if for whatever reason half the kennels at our shelter are vacant, why should they not ease the load of a more crowded shelter? We're in this because we care about dogs, right? Well, the dogs have no control over where they are born or where they live. As long as the organization is not spending a ton of resources to transport the dogs, I have a hard time getting upset about it.

When it gets to the point of transporting dogs overseas, it gets more ethically complicated. You have to start thinking about the resources being spent, disease transmission, etc.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
It's an issue because some of the shelters are funded by tax dollars, and the taxpayers don't think we should pay to clean up other places' problems.

When they have the room, our local shelter takes in dogs from overcrowded shelters in central CA, and a lot of people around here don't like it--and that's within the same state, within about 300 miles! I guess the issue could be the same with privately-run rescues that receive donations; donors might not necessarily agree with the practice of bringing in dogs from outside the area.

Personally, I'm on the fence with the issue. It seems that we have enough problems of our own, but... if for whatever reason half the kennels at our shelter are vacant, why should they not ease the load of a more crowded shelter? We're in this because we care about dogs, right? Well, the dogs have no control over where they are born or where they live. As long as the organization is not spending a ton of resources to transport the dogs, I have a hard time getting upset about it.

When it gets to the point of transporting dogs overseas, it gets more ethically complicated. You have to start thinking about the resources being spent, disease transmission, etc.
I don't mind my tax dollars or donation dollars going to save foreign dogs. I guess I can see how others might not agree. In other countries, people don't have the money to spay/neuter their dogs. For the most part, in the U.S., we do. There is no excuse for someone allowing an unexpected litter in this country.

When I go to the shelter to adopt a dog (5 of our 7 came from shelters), I don't care where it came from, only that it will get along with our other dogs and cats (also from the shelter).

As for disease, I am pretty sure our shelter quarantines and vaccinates the new dogs.

Lila mit der Floppy-Ohr
Ellie Rubmybelly
Teddy the Fearless
Chaz the Spaz

Old 10-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
The real problem is not breeders, but people who don't spay/neuter their dogs.
The body parts aren't the problem.....I have quite a few groom customers with intact dogs that have never had a litter.

Monster Mike is still intact, he has not and will never sire a litter.
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.