Pack of Wolves Killed Using GPS - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pack of Wolves Killed Using GPS

They said it "had" to be done... Big brave men in a helicopter.

Wolf pack that killed cattle taken out by sharpshooters - U.S. News
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

unfortunately, it doesn't take long for wolves (coyotes, any predator) to learn that domestic animals are MUCH better/easier to kill than wildlife. Once they learn that, there is really no way to break them of it.
Much like bears who start breaking into houses to find food. And, no there really is no 100% way to secure livestock to keep out predators.
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Would it have been better if they took the wolves, one by one, and pitted them against a man in a ring, sort of like blood sport? No. It would not. This was not about being a brave hunter or a hearty survivalist. This was about wolves who have learned that cattle are easy prey.

I am not a cattle farmer, but I like beef, milk, and leather products. If the wolves are affecting a rancher's livlihood, I don't have a problem eliminating them.

People want to re-introduce wolves, and they want to re-home critters, but the problem is that when you put critters into an environment, you are displacing other critters and changing the nature of how things work. If these wolves would have stuck with deer, they would be alive today. But calves, steers provide excellent meat and are easier to hunt down, catch, and possibly kill. So the wolves, who are opportunists, found a good food source and that wasn't going to change.

It isn't about being brave. It is about protecting livestock.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh, I understand WHY it had to be done. If I were the rancher, I'd want to protect my herd, as well. I can do without beef, but don't EVEN go after my milk! Leather? I can take it leave it - I prefer diamonds.

In a "perfect" world, there would've been alternatives. Calif has been screaming that it has no wolves. So I say, we should've taken some of the state's $$ they've been wasting & had the wolves brought here. Rather have the 4-legged ones vs some of the 2-legged ones we have....
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Would it have been better if they took the wolves, one by one, and pitted them against a man in a ring, sort of like blood sport? No. It would not. This was not about being a brave hunter or a hearty survivalist. This was about wolves who have learned that cattle are easy prey.

I am not a cattle farmer, but I like beef, milk, and leather products. If the wolves are affecting a rancher's livlihood, I don't have a problem eliminating them.

People want to re-introduce wolves, and they want to re-home critters, but the problem is that when you put critters into an environment, you are displacing other critters and changing the nature of how things work. If these wolves would have stuck with deer, they would be alive today. But calves, steers provide excellent meat and are easier to hunt down, catch, and possibly kill. So the wolves, who are opportunists, found a good food source and that wasn't going to change.

It isn't about being brave. It is about protecting livestock.
I'm not sure about the cattle that were killed by the Wedge pack, but a big part of the problem is that cattle are released to roam and graze through "our" national forests. These cattle defecate and trample the banks of what used to be nice trout streams. It is the cattle that are the invasive species competing with and displacing the native species. Allowing cattle in the national forests, the very place where wolves are supposed to recover, is a recipe for failure. I hear hunters whine about the wolves killing all the elk and moose, but where are the best places to hunt elk and moose? The same places that have the highest populations of wolves Alaska, British Columbia, and Alberta.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
...but the problem is that when you put critters into an environment, you are displacing other critters and changing the nature of how things work.
The sad thing is, wolves were there before the cattle. By getting rid of wolves and moving in cows, the ones being displaced were wolves and the ones changing the nature of how things worked were humans. It seems a bit unfair to go after wolves, when they were just being wolves. Did they have proof that it was even the wolves doing it...? I've seen plenty of cases where "wolves" taking down cattle wound up being feral dogs, or companion dogs that decided that killing livestock was fun.

I do wish there were better ways of dealing with all of this than killing wolves. I don't know what ranchers do and don't try, but I'd like to believe that there was more than could have been done other than destroying predators we really need.
blackmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

My friend who breeds Chihuahuas lives in a heavy predation area. She is at an intersection for 2 wolf packs and has never lost a chicken or cow. She keeps 2 GSD on her property that are trained to sleep around the chicken and cow pens. The wolves won't step foot on her property. This did not need to happen.
WhiteSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

I read about this, very unfortunate. I wish more work would have been done in terms of alternative options such as relocation and such.
mosul210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
unfortunately, it doesn't take long for wolves (coyotes, any predator) to learn that domestic animals are MUCH better/easier to kill than wildlife. Once they learn that, there is really no way to break them of it.
Much like bears who start breaking into houses to find food. And, no there really is no 100% way to secure livestock to keep out predators.
I'm agreeing with all this.

I wouldn't have said the same thing a few months ago, but since moving to rural Wyoming I have a muuuch better understanding of what its like to live in a place where humans and wildlife want to occupy the same land. After talking with local Fish & Game guys, yes, of course the first step is to relocate the animal. If it keeps coming back and is considered a threat, it's eventually put down. A bear was recently removed from ranch land nearby for similar reasons.

On the other hand, in defense of the animals, if one is found dead (shot, natural causes, whatever) they autopsy to determine cause and analyze the animal to help determine the heath of the local population.

I think the system is working.

Radio - German Shepherd, born 6/22/12
Cooper - Border collie/corgi, picture a border collie that's been shrunk to corgi proportions
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.