Pack of Wolves Killed Using GPS - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #41 (permalink)

The thing people arent understanding is, nature ebb's and flows. Yes, the elk/deer/moose number WILL decrease, heavily. And with little food, wolves will either starve or disperse, ten the ungulate numbers will rise again. Thats how nature has worked for millions of years. And if people want to argue the non-native thing, how about you remove the non-native mountain goats from my state that you hunters wanted for hunting and are now out of control?
von Bolen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #42 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Bolen View Post
The wolves in Canada and the BC Rainforest wolves knew know borders before. They share these territories with the N. Rocky Mtn and Cascades Mtn wolves. They even interbred. So really, this non-native arguement that I see alot doesn't hold alot of water.

And as far as the danger they pose to humans... I fear the bear and cougar in my area FAR more than i do the wolves. If people don't want their animals preyed upon, they better educate themselves and take precautions, like i have. Ignorance is not bliss.
Agreed. Pioneers did not leave their livestock unprotected. They also did not expect the government to reimburse them when the inevitable happened infrequently. If a dangerous rogue predator became uncontrollable, they took action against, but typically as a last resort.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #43 (permalink)

Money is everything now. they dont care about anything but money, money, money.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #44 (permalink)
Elite Member

Rocketdog: I have driven down the highway to the airport in Jackson and saw a wolf trotting down the road. My husband and myself talked to the man whose horses were attacked and one killed, saw the photos, talked to fish and game about it. Maybe your friends need to read the paper, the article about the wolves killing a pet in Jackson was in the paper. Wolves are in the valley I live in, 75 miles south of Jackson, jogging and ran into two of them... My daughter was having surgery in Jackson and we watched a pack of wolves pull down two elk on the feedground and leave them both down and dead. My husband was hunting up in Jackson and was shadowed, at about 10 yards away by a pack of wolves, they followed him step for step, stopped when he did, walked when he did. Glad he had a gun, he would have used it if necessary.. Funny, the grizzlies are bad enough, now the wolves are doing the same thing. They are NOT afraid of people at all.
Sorry, but I have lived in the area for 30 plus years, BEFORE the wolves were introduced to Yellowstone........ I have watched all this happen since the wolves were released and the wolves did not stay in the park like was intended, they left to roam and kill livestock and pets. They have learned easy pickings involve humans and the animals they have.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Bolen View Post
The thing people arent understanding is, nature ebb's and flows. Yes, the elk/deer/moose number WILL decrease, heavily. And with little food, wolves will either starve or disperse, ten the ungulate numbers will rise again. Thats how nature has worked for millions of years. And if people want to argue the non-native thing, how about you remove the non-native mountain goats from my state that you hunters wanted for hunting and are now out of control?
And feral hogs in my neck of the woods........
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #46 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggrandma View Post
Rocketdog: I have driven down the highway to the airport in Jackson and saw a wolf trotting down the road. My husband and myself talked to the man whose horses were attacked and one killed, saw the photos, talked to fish and game about it. Maybe your friends need to read the paper, the article about the wolves killing a pet in Jackson was in the paper. Wolves are in the valley I live in, 75 miles south of Jackson, jogging and ran into two of them... My daughter was having surgery in Jackson and we watched a pack of wolves pull down two elk on the feedground and leave them both down and dead. My husband was hunting up in Jackson and was shadowed, at about 10 yards away by a pack of wolves, they followed him step for step, stopped when he did, walked when he did. Glad he had a gun, he would have used it if necessary.. Funny, the grizzlies are bad enough, now the wolves are doing the same thing. They are NOT afraid of people at all.
Sorry, but I have lived in the area for 30 plus years, BEFORE the wolves were introduced to Yellowstone........ I have watched all this happen since the wolves were released and the wolves did not stay in the park like was intended, they left to roam and kill livestock and pets. They have learned easy pickings involve humans and the animals they have.
I'm guessing there must be records of how many pets they've killed? Not as many as coyotes I'm guessing. And livestock that's contained and fenced, or allowed to roam federal or state land? I would be very interested in actual, factual statistics, since I'm sure that coyotes still kill more domestic pets than anything else, and the grizzly attacks (and fatalities) are still statistically much lower than they really ought to be considering the amount of people that visit Yellowstone and the Tetons.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #47 (permalink)
Knighted Member

#7 on this list reiterates the fact that there has never been a recorded fatality of a human due to a wolf attack. Period.

Frequently Asked Questions about the Gray Wolf in the United States : The Humane Society of the United States

Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post

Don't know if this has been posted yet. Here is a link of what Sen. Kevin Ranker chair of the Senate Natural Resources and Marine Waters committee thinks of the killing.
Killing of wolf pack criticized by key Washington state lawmaker - U.S. News
It appears we might want to take a look at this info - Thank You, Nigel for posting this. Perhaps Farmer-with-attitude was not so HELPFUL after all?

As far as the stories go about the Big Bad Wolf - there are few recorded "attacks" on humans. Most are from coyotes & cougars. Perhaps this is a case of mistaken identity? Also, including the above link, we need to remember that news stories quite often OMIT a lot of facts. It's the nature of the beast. Going to the news in order to state facts is akin to reading an anatomy book & calling yourself a doctor. I doubt we'll ever know all the facts in this story.

But - as has been pointed out already, both here & on other threads - if you're gonna live where wildlife roam, the protection of you & yours is YOUR responsibility. I'm not pitting the Pro-wolf people with Pro-cattle. I don't think that one's preference for eating beef is the issue. When humans encroach into areas of known wildlife, there will be problems. I don't think the solution should always be the state-sanctioned killing of the wildlife.

And really grandma - you honestly expected the wolves to STAY in the park? Well then, someone should've taught them that command.
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #49 (permalink)

People put their personal interests over the integrity of nature. Nothing more selfish. It completely negates what we are taught about being responsible for ourselves. There have been a few wolf attacks, even a few fatalities. But, there were some odd circumstances to the incidents, and really, its only been a few in recorded history. It's them using fear to rally people up and keep them scared, like livestock.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #50 (permalink)

Grandma, they are wild animals. If wolves arent afraid of bears, why would they be afraid of this odd two legged creature?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.