Pack of Wolves Killed Using GPS - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Because going against the popular mood and killing wolves to make a handful of ranchers stop whining is such a politically sound decision.
How true - I LMAO reading this!
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
I remember a recent vice-presidential candidate that allowed this same thing to go on and got tons and tons of guff for it.
I'm pretty sure that WAS admittedly for sport and not to resolve an ongoing issue. Had it been to remedy a situation I'm sure that would have been made abundantly clear. If I recall correctly, I thought it was also questioned whether that hunt was for one of the species of wolf that is on the vulnerable list in Alaska.
I have nothing against hunting for sporting purposes, I used to quail and dove hunt when I had the time. I guess I look at it like the quail have a chance to get away(and they usually did ) as I'm on foot and am using the only means I have of getting around. Hunting wolves from a helicopter is the opposite, using a non natural means of transport to hunt them down and for what? They don't eat them. I've eaten (or given to those who will) every bird I've ever shot.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
I live ten minutes from the Idaho border. I spend much of my time in the Panhandle and in Montana. There were no local packs here. There is much myth and ignorance, though. Also, I have friends that live outside of Jackson, WY. They've lived there for 16 years. Their experience and what they've heard about the wolves doesn't match Wyominggrandmas.

Don't know if this has been posted yet. Here is a link of what Sen. Kevin Ranker chair of the Senate Natural Resources and Marine Waters committee thinks of the killing.
Killing of wolf pack criticized by key Washington state lawmaker - U.S. News
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocron View Post
I'm pretty sure that WAS admittedly for sport and not to resolve an ongoing issue. Had it been to remedy a situation I'm sure that would have been made abundantly clear. If I recall correctly, I thought it was also questioned whether that hunt was for one of the species of wolf that is on the vulnerable list in Alaska.
I have nothing against hunting for sporting purposes, I used to quail and dove hunt when I had the time. I guess I look at it like the quail have a chance to get away(and they usually did ) as I'm on foot and am using the only means I have of getting around. Hunting wolves from a helicopter is the opposite, using a non natural means of transport to hunt them down and for what? They don't eat them. I've eaten (or given to those who will) every bird I've ever shot.
And I have heard that some native tribes in Alaska are dependent on wild game, and that the wolves were considered a problem to those populations, but if you go back about four years, you can read the whole lengthy thread (which was allowed, since it concerned wolves, which some people must have felt were close enough to dogs to allow it).

So you hunt doves, and eat them? I never heard of anyone eating pigeons, but then I never heard of people eating squirrels until last week. I guess learn something new every day.

You get there on your own legs, but you shoot them with what? A gun? A bow -- either way you could argue using an non-natural means of cutting them down.

They may not eat the wolves, but we do eat the beef. Sorry but I am more concerned about cattle than I am wolves that are killing cattle.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
So you hunt doves, and eat them? I never heard of anyone eating pigeons, but then I never heard of people eating squirrels until last week. I guess learn something new every day.

You get there on your own legs, but you shoot them with what? A gun? A bow -- either way you could argue using an non-natural means of cutting them down.

They may not eat the wolves, but we do eat the beef. Sorry but I am more concerned about cattle than I am wolves that are killing cattle.
Like I said, I'm a huge wolf proponent but I also did not disagree with this particular pack being eliminated. The ranchers (from what I read) took measures to dissuade the pack and change their hunting pattern but I'm sure there is only so much you can do before you reach a point of diminishing return.

I have hunted with a gun and a bow. I guess what I was trying to say was my method of pursuit was on my own two feet. I actually prefer skeet shooting now, less time to travel and I don't have to get up at 4am .

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocron View Post
Like I said, I'm a huge wolf proponent but I also did not disagree with this particular pack being eliminated. The ranchers (from what I read) took measures to dissuade the pack and change their hunting pattern but I'm sure there is only so much you can do before you reach a point of diminishing return.

I have hunted with a gun and a bow. I guess what I was trying to say was my method of pursuit was on my own two feet. I actually prefer skeet shooting now, less time to travel and I don't have to get up at 4am .
I used to hunt and fish. And one day I realized I did not like to hunt or fish, I used to go to do something with my dad. I do like to shoot with a bow. But I gave my bow to my nephew so he could get some archery badge. My dad was into the bow thing too. We're engineers. And Dad got deep into traditional archery and would make his own arrows, and create machines and fixtures to turn the rods, make the proper angles for the ends of the arrows, cut feathers, paint them. It was a big deal. But after two shoulder surgeries, the bow has lost its charm I think. I find it is better to just spend time with Dad and stay away from the topic of computers which really bores me to tears.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think Wisconsin is about to institute a wolf hunt. When animals are protected like the wolves have been they tend to spread very quickly and so now we kind of have an overpopulation of wolves. Don't see anything different with population control. It's a big reason deer hunting is allowed.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggrandma View Post
Okay, gonna say what nobody wants to hear.
So, what about the wolves that have come out of Yellowstone, gone into neighborhoods of Jackson homes and killed their pets? What about the wolves that have pulled down horses that were tied to their trailers while camping? Um, what about the wolves that are going into populated areas and killing animals?
The wolves did not stay in Yellowstone, they are following the herds leaving Yellowstone for winter and coming into towns and killing livestock... The wolves have decimated the elk/buffalo herds in Yellowstone, they no longer allow moose hunting because the wolves have killed them in the same area.
There is no possible way, except culling the packs to keep the population down. When the wolves were brought back into the yellowstone eco system, they brought Canadian wolves, not the same wolves that used to roam here. These are bigger, more aggressive wolves. They kill to kill, not just to eat.
Go ahead, blast away. Until you have gone hiking and have a wolf follow you from 20 yards away, step for step, until you have run into one while jogging on the trails, VERY close to town, until you have seen the damage they do to livestock, in their own pastures, close to the farm house, then maybe you will understand the need and reasoning behind killing them.
The wolves in Canada and the BC Rainforest wolves knew know borders before. They share these territories with the N. Rocky Mtn and Cascades Mtn wolves. They even interbred. So really, this non-native arguement that I see alot doesn't hold alot of water.

And as far as the danger they pose to humans... I fear the bear and cougar in my area FAR more than i do the wolves. If people don't want their animals preyed upon, they better educate themselves and take precautions, like i have. Ignorance is not bliss.
von Bolen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitydid255 View Post
My friend in Idaho has the same complaints. He and others I know from the area (Washington state as well) insist that there were local packs before the reintroduction of the Canadian wolves. Those packs have since disappeared.
Sorry, but no, they have not. I cant state my sources, but wolves were never 'gone' from this state, which helped the new migrating packs intigrate so easily.
von Bolen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
the problem is that when you put critters into an environment, you are displacing other critters and changing the nature of how things work.
That is exactly what cattle ranchers have done to wolves. No pity from me for the ranchers. The wolves have had everything taken from them thanks to the greed of man.
HillaryCarolCrockettCher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.