CBC's Marketplace - Fighting for Fido - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default CBC's Marketplace - Fighting for Fido

Airs tonight!

Fighting For Fido - Marketplace

"Questions about a popular dog treat and a mysterious illness making thousands of dogs sick

Thousands of dogs are ill or dying across North America and it's been going on for years. No one can say what, exactly, made the dogs sick. But owners say they fed their dogs a seemingly harmless product: a popular chicken jerky treat.

There are warnings on both sides of the border about the treats, which are made in China and marketed by some of the biggest pet food companies. But there is no definitive link between the treats and the illness. And there have been no recalls.

Tom Harrington is on the trail of the mysterious illness, putting the treats to the test, and asking questions about a product that is not regulated in Canada. We ask: when things go wrong, who is fighting for Fido?"
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I started a thread about kibble and addressed the jerky treats too.

I have to watch that tonight.

here is a link in my thread that may be of special interest re: FDA and what they are (not!) doing...

Chicken Jerky Pet Treat Update

other info on my thread...re GMO's, AAFCO,
Kibble - Do you "want" to know???
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes, I've heard about these treats causing illness in dogs before. I'm very interested to see what they say in this program, I'll be PVRing it for sure!

It's shocking what they will put into pet food/treats. I don't understand it, it's almost like they are deliberately trying to make animals sick.

I'm so afraid of what goes into these things, I only give my pup things where I can understand what's on the ingredient list, and the shorter the list, the better.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have a dehdyrater and make my dog chicken hearts, beef heart jerky, beef jerky, chicken jerky, and smelts! food from the grocery store... I also bake liver treats - either beef or chicken w/organic spelt flour (used to use chick pea, but started getting ear infections - developed and intolerance), coconut oil, blueberries or mango (looooooves mango!), but I make to medium - soft treat...about to make 4 batches now - sigh...he's a lot of work
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's a really good idea! I was thinking about getting a dehydrator anyway!

How do you store them? How long can they be stored?

Right now, I really only feed Zukes semi-moist training treats and Benny Bully's liver of freeze dried veggie treats.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Home Depot Deluxe 5-Tray Food Dehydrator Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products

This one more durable then salton brand...Salton trays kept breaking.

Store in the freezer...take a handful out every few days and keep in the fridge.

You can do banana chips, mango, apple and use those as treats too...even your own sweet potato jerky (even those are in question re: china).

The chicken hearts take 24hrs (approx.), but the rest 7-8 hrs. fruit/veg you have to experiment with, but will likely come w/abooklet that will give approx. directions

I use eye of round for beef jerky, when it dries, it is easy to break into mini treats.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Crikey! Now I know I'm lazy! I don't use a dehydrator - I take all those yummy foods & either feed as they're meant to be eaten, or chop them & make ice cubes. Keep some @ home & @ work (she comes to work with us).

Lazy-Person's Treats. Her favorite is the banana, peeled - if I didn't peel it, she'd eat that, too. Like a vacuum cleaner with legs...
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Too messy for me...also take on walks...and he doesn't like ice cubes...but also gets this stuff raw too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.