Frustrated - Come ON People! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Frustrated - Come ON People!

Virtually ALL of the cop-shoots-dog stories end up being locked. Because little attention is being paid to the facts (which we NEVER know at the outset) & they turn into cop advocates -vs- anti-cop. And, I'm not fooled. People posting these stories know very darn well how the thread will turn out. *I* know how they'll turn out, & I'm a newbie here.

We're all adults (that's a loose assumption) - but do you guys really LIKE the "teacher" coming in to tell us to shut up? I don't - but what else can they do when it always comes to personal blows?

Is there a way to discuss this topic without the crapola personal agendas? And let's be clear - I'm not against people posting their views. I admit up front, I'm normally behind the cops 100%, altho I am able to admit when they make an error. My dad was a cop who taught his daughters to shoot at an early age. I live in Liberal Calif & have a CCW. I am a cancer survivor, still fighting it. I am human. I make mistakes. As are cops. As are all of us.

Does this lock-out of the most recent cop-kills-dog thread mean that we can't discuss anything without resorting to infantile arguments made on a darn computer screen? Can we not stay on topic?

I scoured the net, looking for a picture to illustrate my point, trying to bring a little levity to the hapless arguments. No one even noticed - too busy with their own agendas.

If we - as a computer group - can't discuss this topic with a little intelligence, & less personal stuff - how in Hates do you expect the "professionals" to fix this problem? Isn't it long past time we all grew up?

I dare anyone to respond as an intelligent adult & stop this infantile arguing. Personally, I WANT to continue the discussion, as it hits close to home. But, let's get outta the sandbox, OK?
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I agree, actually...and I think instead of sitting around on the computer, we get out and educate people.

I think it would be great if there was a free dog behavior seminar offered to police departments.
I'm not sure how to go about doing things like that (not a "starter" type person) but perhaps the Humane Societies local to the departments would be able to help.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I read the thread and chose not to comment, why? To many ego's , he's right, she's right, why bother? The original topic got lost in the sauce.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree TOTALLY. In fact, after work Friday, I went to our local PD to suggest some sort of seminars on this topic. And called a few local vets with whom I have ties to do the same thing. (Didn't contact AC in this area, as I have little, if no, respect for them here.)

But it's not just the cops that need to be educated - it's the population en masse. What we, as dog owners, should be responsible for. And for which we should be educated. Stop the mind-set where we blame everyone else for our woes. And take the initiative up front. If you don't like the way things go in your town, district, country, either be part of the solution, or move.

I want my house safe from criminals & rogue cops. I want me & mine safe. But that means *I* have to take precautions, as well. I cannot leave the welfare of me, my hubby, our cats & our crazy GSD in the hands of others. If I do everything possible to keep us safe & STILL something happens - mybad. If I do nothing but blame others while something else happens - mybad time 1,000.

Jakoda - see, that's an example. The original juice of the thread got "lost". It should not have been. Perhaps the moderators could take a look at that & attempt to bring us back on track. Then again, if we're all adults, why does it take a mod to tell us? Don't they have better things to do than babysit us?

I'm just sayin'...

Last edited by Olivers mama; 09-23-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

LOL excellent, but makes too much sense!
The issue is many people don't feel that way at all these days, it's very sad.

Quote:
I want my house safe from criminals & rogue cops. I want me & mine safe. But that means *I* have to take precautions, as well. I cannot leave the welfare of me, my hubby, our cats & our crazy GSD in the hands of others. If I do everything possible to keep us safe & STILL something happens - mybad. If I do nothing but blame others while something else happens - mybad time 1,000.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post

Is there a way to discuss this topic without the crapola personal agendas?
Apparently not... I don't even read "cop" threads anymore, as they all end up the same way: everyone says the same thing they said in the last thread about cops. Sigh.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Jakoda - see, that's an example. The original juice of the thread got "lost". It should not have been. Perhaps the moderators could take a look at that & attempt to bring us back on track. Then again, if we're all adults, why does it take a mod to tell us? Don't they have better things to do than babysit us
Well I'm not the moderator for that section, but I would have done the same thing, why should "we" have to go thru umpteen pages of postings and delete all the 'bull' going back and forth? The "bull" should have never been started or continued.

And as for the mods having better things to do, I'm sure we all do, if people posted like adults in the first place, and stayed on track, well our jobs would be much much easier and this forum would have no need of moderators, but apparently that can't happen.

I do think 'freely educating', the PD or any other org, on dog behavior / how to approach certain situations, would be quite beneficial maybe time could be spent on 'how' to implement such a thing.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

The two threads on this forum that will ALWAYS end with being closed are threads about pitbulls and threads about cops. People either love or despise both and (usually) nothing you say will change that.

Also, any time someone posts a "fact" without a source, I would ask where they found this statistic at. 90% of the "facts" posted in arguments are misquoted/manipulated/ or taken from websites that are in no way reliable.

I am no longer even clicking on any thread about cops...the same 4-5 people post the same negative opinions and the same 2-3 people defend cops. What's the point? I agree to disagree lol
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
Virtually ALL of the cop-shoots-dog stories end up being locked. Because little attention is being paid to the facts (which we NEVER know at the outset) & they turn into cop advocates -vs- anti-cop. And, I'm not fooled. People posting these stories know very darn well how the thread will turn out. *I* know how they'll turn out, & I'm a newbie here.
Yes, as I replied in the earlier thread I started on this topic: I knew there was a chance it could turn out to be the typical bashing thread, but had hopes (where have we heard that before ) that it would remain on topic. Obviously we saw how well that did not work.

This is information that would be valuable to any of us on here, regardless if we lived in downtown major city or out in the middle of nowhere.

From experience of what has happened with any of the previous threads, the only way to even attempt to get this information is through a moderated thread. The moderators don't have the time for that, they have their own lives to live as well. And I can't blame any of the LEO on this forum for not wanting to contribute their knowledge to a thread and get mixed up in threads such as the previous ones.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hm, I KNEW there was a reason I never post of "cop" threads.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.