Frustrated - Come ON People! - Page 16 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #151 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
So I can get rid of the bubble wrap, Charmin and bullets?
Naw, keep it. You never know when you'll need it.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #152 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Of course I realize that I have better odds of winning the Powerball than I do of this occurring. I certainly did not let it affect my sleep today. I also have better odds of winning the lottery than of being accidentally killed by police involved in a high speed chase of bad guys on my way to work tonight. That does not mean that I don't want police using the utmost caution every time they decide to pursue someone.

I also don't like what seems, at least to me, the apathetic attitude by the police departments when the police screw up and a dog dies. Because dog are considered "property", it seems like they just go "oops my bad. sorry about your dog". There needs to be some sort of recourse or compensation when these things happen. Not the "oh well. it was just a dog" attitude.
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #153 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch

Quote:

Don't do that! You can sit sit on the Charmin while popping the bubble wrap with the bullets.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #154 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
What? And take your chances with the Zombies? Are you utterly insane?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #155 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmasMom View Post
Of course I realize that I have better odds of winning the Powerball than I do of this occurring. I certainly did not let it affect my sleep today. I also have better odds of winning the lottery than of being accidentally killed by police involved in a high speed chase of bad guys on my way to work tonight. That does not mean that I don't want police using the utmost caution every time they decide to pursue someone.

I also don't like what seems, at least to me, the apathetic attitude by the police departments when the police screw up and a dog dies. Because dog are considered "property", it seems like they just go "oops my bad. sorry about your dog". There needs to be some sort of recourse or compensation when these things happen. Not the "oh well. it was just a dog" attitude.
Who is compensating though, I mean really? The police officer? The department? The municipality? The chances are it will be the people that the government represents. How is that for an insult to injury? Not only are you now worried about how your dog might get killed because the police killed your neighbor's dog, but now the city has been sued for the value of the dog, and they are starting to recognize that dogs have a value beyond their purchase price, which is good in general, but, if the city has to come up with 100k because they wrongfully killed a dog, then that is coming out of your pockets. Not the whole amount, but your local taxes will increase if the city is sued for enough things. So, while we want for people to be compensated for having lost their dog, it is the people that will be paying for that.

If the police officer lets the dog bite him before he shoots, well, there too medical expenses, insurance rates, time off work, etc, that is a huge cost to the people. No, the dog owner should NOT have to pay if a police officer comes onto the property and gets bit. Sorry, the dog is protecting the property, and no one should be faulted for having a dog that bites an intruder. So who does all this compensating? We do.

If cops are bitten and cost the city money due to loss of time, medical costs or insurance hikes, then BSL is going to rear its ugly head. If the city is sued because cops defended themselves, I can see BSL and ownership requirements increasing.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #156 (permalink)

Sgt Lou Castle,
I just got through reading this monster thread and wanted to say thanks for your well thought out intelligent answers/comments. Thank you for sharing your experience and perspective with the members of this forum. Last but not least thanks for your service.
Curious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #157 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
Sgt Lou Castle,
I just got through reading this monster thread and wanted to say thanks for your well thought out intelligent answers/comments. Thank you for sharing your experience and perspective with the members of this forum. Last but not least thanks for your service.
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #158 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was late to work this morning because there was a funeral procession as far as the eye could see for a fallen police officer who lost his life last week in the town I work in.

I couldn't help but sit in my car and cry as they passed.

It's weird the thoughts you have at that moment...I thought of this thread for a second.

I also thank Lou Castle for his contribution to this thread.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #159 (permalink)

Same here, Courtney.

But the flip side - 'Bodie' has had his last surgery & looks to return to work in December. (Bodie is a Sacramento K9 injured in the line of duty - was shot thru a forepaw & jaw. He's been a HUGE hit with the kids - an elementary school even raised funds to go toward his medical bills.)
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.