The dark side of IPO Sport - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #71 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I said in my original post that I do not know anything about protection training. So I am not trying to make like I do. I am not sure if the same is true of you because you make like you do, but then refuse to answer a simple question.

Anyone can have an opinion about training, whether they know how something is trained or not if it seems like it is abusive and ineffective.

I suppose since I have never tried to train a dog to stay out of the trash, I have no business feeling horrified about the woman who told me she taught her dog to stay out of the trash by duct-taping rotted meat to the dog's muzzle for three days. I shouldn't comment or have an opinion about that.

Abusive training is not limited to any particular sport of venue and you do not have to be a disciple of it to have an opinion.

l can only guess that you have witnessed or used this sort of thing or worse in the course of whatever training you do, as you say you know why they are doing what they are doing, and do not seem to be disgusted by it, rather you are defending them, or just attacking me. Whatever. Others in the sport and related sports seem to feel different thankfully.
Firstly, I am not condoning nor defending this handler nor his methods. And you are more than welcomed to your opinions on his training.

HOWEVER, what I do have a problem with are ill-informed, inaccurate statements that are made, seemingly, to cast the entire sport of IPO in a negative light. In this instance you suggesting that this was done to encourage the dog to engage the helper. What happens when these sorts of ill-informed statements are made is that they are read by other ill-informed people. And the next thing you know people are saying that dogs are beaten to make them bite and IPO is cruel and should be banned.

Art
Kennel von der Zahnburg
Zahnburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
Based on what she said earlier in this thread, I believe Mrs K is relaying information she read on another board. In so doing, she is simply repeating what she read but has no real knowledge of what really happened with this man and his club. Might be be the case but could be wildly different than reported. I have been around dog trainers and clubs enough to know about the politics and vendettas that can take place. That's not to mention the people who report what they have heard with a great deal of glee, even though it doesn't have a heck of a lot to do with reality.

The fact that some people posting here want to look right past the editing, I find somewhat telling. Is the guy a good dog trainer? hmm...maybe not.. but convicting someone on a dog board based on a VERY edited video, tells me something about the people doing that.

Everyone has their agendas and while I think this is certainly not a really good example of dog training, the fact remains that the reactions of the people, and the dog, and the sound, just don't match. Once those facts became obvious, I personally could not go a step further in condemning this man. I have been on juries with people who wanted to convict someone based on their prejudices, what they heard someone say in the elevator, because the police are never wrong, and so on. It is frightening to me what people think is acceptable "proof".
Thank You - Thank You - Thank You!

I just read the whole thread. Ignored it initially for a few reasons, not the least of which, an idiot like me had no idea what 'IPO' was & didn't want to look it up. (not a fan of acronyms) After looking it up, came back to watch the video & read.

I've been to a few Sch displays & learned quickly that it is not a sport for everyone. I'm very interested in the sport, just don't have the dog for it @ this time. I've also been around many trainers. I've seen harsh training before that had nothing to do with the sport. But I agree 1000% that an obviously, poorly edited YouTube video should have no place in the ruling of a sanctioning body - for anything.

Done perhaps by a competitor? Quite likely, actually. There are cheaters in all the dog sports. (Years ago, the winningest Irish Setter in AKC conformation was being fed arsenic to get long, beautiful feathering. By the breeder/handler. And everyone knew it. The dog died at the age of 2. Deadly cheaters.) Should the video be taken seriously? Shouldn't. Isn't - by me at least.

BTW - I find it funny that, in Europe, one can legally buy / own a certain collar type - but you can't use it. So what's the point - wall decoration?
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.