The dark side of IPO Sport - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vom Eisenherz View Post
Yep, Mrs. K. Dogs suffer all the time in the name of human ego.

I know lots of dogs who would/could take that abuse. Not really that big of a deal. It doesn't mean they should have to take it. It's all the dog knows. To him, that's a normal day of training.
Agreed. We all know that IPO sport doesn't really work without correction. At some point you have to correct, but this was just senseless. If I am that angry with myself or the dog, I put the dog away and cool off.

@Wildo: Breeders, SV Officials. Handlers/Trainers with Seminars, training equipment... there is a lot of money in German Shepherds.

There is a guy named Jantie who discovered a lot of shady stuff. I believe he's also on pedigree database. It's nothing new, it's an open secret. However, the SV wants him out of the club because he's becoming too much of "problem" for corrupt officials.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I guess I'm naive because I thought people attended these sports with their dogs for the love the sport and their dogs. Didn't know there were dog sport people out there who have the 'crazy soccer parent' mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vom Eisenherz View Post
This is yet another reason why points based training that brings out egos isn't in the best interest of the dog. The old pass/fail system, imo, was a better test and fairer to the dog in many aspects.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
I guess I'm naive because I thought people attended these sports with their dogs for the love the sport and their dogs. Didn't know there were dog sport people out there who have the 'crazy soccer parent' mentality.
I don't think you are naive....majority of the people who train in the sport are doing it for the love of their dogs and sport. There are radicals everywhere, and they always make a bad name for whatever they affiliate with.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master Member

Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. This takes place in Luxemburg, which is a EU nation. To the best of my knowledge the use of e-collars and pinch collars is banned within the EU. Is it possible that this handler, being a law-abiding EU citizen, was forced to resort to such methods being that more humane and effective tools are illegal?

Art
Kennel von der Zahnburg
Zahnburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnburg View Post
Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. This takes place in Luxemburg, which is a EU nation. To the best of my knowledge the use of e-collars and pinch collars is banned within the EU. Is it possible that this handler, being a law-abiding EU citizen, was forced to resort to such methods being that more humane and effective tools are illegal?
It's not in all of Europe. In Germany E-Collars (well you can buy and own them, you are just not allowed to use them on the dog) are banned but pinch collars are still legal, however there are people working on banning them too

I am not quite sure if both is illegal in Luxemburg.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #36 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well, I know one thing. It is not illegal to edit videos in Europe.

No one has noticed the rather blatant editting in this video? The yelping sound is added where the editor wants things to look the worst. Right in the beginning, sound is added and then the video repeats the one time movements from this man, four times. That same piece of video is shown again later in the video without sound.

The video is silent until select times where there is sound inserted. That yelping sound is always the same and it is way too loud to be heard that clearly, from the distance the video is filmed from.

No court of law would ever accept something like this as evidence. It is quite clearly tampered with. The reactions of the dog does not fit either.

Once I see something like the blatant editting present here, I am MUCH less willing to join the lynch mob. Clearly, whoever was filming and editting his work, did not like this person.

Anne
www.adlerstein.com
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Well, he is being investigated for cruelty in Luxemburg and he did get disqualified afterall. Just because this was edited, doesn't excuse what he's done to that dog, or why in the **** would you pull and drag a dog on his ears over the field? What's the point? Give me one good reason what the dog learned from that. It may be edited but whats in there speaks volumes and for itself. Apparently it was enough for the FCI to kick him out of the trial.

Since he is investigated one would "assume" (I know I know) there is more going on than just that video and I wouldn't be surprised if this is not the last thing we get to see/hear.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 09-23-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #38 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Well, he is being investigated for cruelty in Luxemburg and he did get disqualified afterall. Just because this was edited, doesn't excuse what he's done to that dog, or why in the **** would you pull and drag a dog on his ears over the field? What's the point? Give me one good reason what the dog learned from that. It may be edited but whats in there speaks volumes and for itself. Apparently it was enough for the FCI to kick him out of the trial.

Since he is investigated one would "assume" (I know I know) there is more going on than just that video and I wouldn't be surprised if this is not the last thing we get to see/hear.

Edited, not edited... doesn't matter. There's abuse going on any way you slice it. THAT can't be edited.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:46 AM   #39 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
why in the **** would you pull and drag a dog on his ears over the field? What's the point? Give me one good reason what the dog learned from that.
I have no intention of getting into that kind of conversation. That was not my point.
The sound was put in there and things were changed and repeated to make it look worse. If it was bad enough for whoever filmed this to turn him in, they should have left it alone and let people judge based on the truth, not using tricks designed to disturb, upset and enrage the people viewing.

Without the edits, it looks bad...I agree ....but with them, he becomes a monster....that's just not right. Not in my opinion. People should be judged based on what actually took place. The truth matters to me and for me, the deception in that video is wrong.

I might totally disagree with how he trains dogs and probably would not like this man. Still, not the point I was making.

Anne
www.adlerstein.com

Last edited by Vandal; 09-23-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #40 (permalink)

This has nothing to do with a "dark side" of IPO. This is just an abusive ******* to happens to train in IPO. This could have been any sport.
sabledog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.