The dark side of IPO Sport - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have no problem issuing a correction...but if I had to chase my dog down like that to get results I would put the dog away and think. 'How did I screw up so badly that had to happen'. I have witnessed intense, driven dogs who need corrections...they showed no avoidance and kept going, even after a very harsh correction. I didn't see the dog worse for wear after..can someone point out if the dog was in distress?

I'm glad the FCI pulled him, do not get me wrong. I think there is another way to work with the hard dogs being bred and they do not need to be beaten to get results. Playing devils advocate, really...I'm going to go do a little OB with my girl and be happy our training is *not* like that!
Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
ShenzisMom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

WOW that is downright wrong. That guy should NOT be training dogs. I cannot believe the people there just watch all of this unfold. Maybe they didn't feel comfortable telling him anything to his face so they told someone to hide in the bushes to film and chose this route. Either way, there is no way my big mouth would stand by and let that happen. I would refuse to be a part of any sort of group training if there was member blatantly abusing their dog.
Using fair and well timed corrections to get a dog to comply is one thing. This man is not using well timed corrections, he is chasing his dog down, when his dog finally stops running he is beating it until he feels it has felt enough pain and his anger has subsided slightly. This man is punishing out of anger.

He either could care less about how dogs fundamentally work as far as timing with corrections and rewards go, or he is a complete moron. Either way I am glad he got pulled from the FCI. I hope he takes a very long and hard look at himself and the way he trains. If this is what he feels is appropriate in public, I fear for his dogs lives in the privacy of his home...

Absolutely disgusting behavior.
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I couldn't finish watching it. I hope that dog rips the guy's face off in his sleep. I'm sorry, but if I were there, I'd have gotten up and beat the crud out of that moron. If I EVER see anything like this I would never, ever just sit there and watch or turn away. This is WAY over the line! He needs to be banned permanently!!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenzisMom View Post
I have no problem issuing a correction...but if I had to chase my dog down like that to get results I would put the dog away and think. 'How did I screw up so badly that had to happen'. I have witnessed intense, driven dogs who need corrections...they showed no avoidance and kept going, even after a very harsh correction. I didn't see the dog worse for wear after..can someone point out if the dog was in distress
It's a sport. A game. A hobby. Someone's pride.

It's just not worth it, imo. If, for some reason, you must treat a dog this way to save his life or the life of someone else, that's another thing. But for a game?
Old 09-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Not only excessive and abusive--but bad training with bad timing. That dog is a saint for not biting him.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is something off with that video
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Happens all the time. Off the top of my head, I can think of two WELL respected trainers who have killed dogs, both by kicking them to death, one out of anger because he messed up a track and one died after "learning" an exercise...can't remember which exercise.

Another national level trainer's regular correction to his dog is a hard punch squarely to the nose. This is yet another reason why points based training that brings out egos isn't in the best interest of the dog. The old pass/fail system, imo, was a better test and fairer to the dog in many aspects.
vom Eisenherz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am going to be going to sch. Training soon. I know its a game...but some people are so passionate they loose sight. Either way, if my dogs were ever to stop screaming with excitement and carrying on when they see their prongs I'd be having a deep talk with myself about priorities.
Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
ShenzisMom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
There is something off with that video
The sounds are dubbed in--and it's the same sound re-used. I think they repeat the same moment several times, too, to make it look like he hits the dog repeatedly.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

This should be titled "The dark side of humans". This type of cruely is not limited to IPO. Good that the FCI took a stand!!
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.