German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Police shoot another dog- how on earth are we supposed to protect our dogs?

8K views 117 replies 25 participants last post by  MaggieRoseLee 
#1 ·
This is so sad and tragic. These stories are really starting to make me think. HOW are we supposed to protect are dogs? The cop had the wrong house. The dog was on a chain outside so the officer could have gotten out of the dogs reach yet he shot him. Horrible.

Eldorado Man Accuses Police of Killing Dog | WSILTV | Local News

#2 ·
I think maybe I will post a sign on my front/back door "Dear Officer Please do not shoot my dogs".

#5 ·
Short story but its rediculous. Why is a police officer in the back of the house in the first place? What's wrong with the front door? I'd understand if you have your dog tied out in the front yard that something could happen, but isn't it reasonable to expect that a police officer won't be knocking on the back door? Then...why would you go into the back yard when you see a dog on a tie out there?

Now...if the yard isn't fenced, and say there is an alley back there and your dog comes dangerously close to the alley on the tie out, I question the owner. If say when the chain is fully extended the dog is 5 ft or less away from the alley, what would a regular person do if they were just walking by and this dog comes charging at them? You don't notice the chain and you think it's going to get you? Or what if that 1 out of 1000 times the tie out comes out of the ground?

Although I think shooting the dog is an over reaction...I'd like to know more facts of what actually happened.

#6 ·
I am getting tired of reading about innocent dogs getting shot. There should be some kind of training for police in how to deal with dogs on private property. And if there already is some kind of protocol, it needs to be re addressed. This case really is a tragedy. I can try to understand how during a high stress situation bad things can happen, but this was over a STOLEN LADDER!!!! Give me a break....

#7 ·
In light of all these "cops shot my dog" stories I will be going to Wally World later today to get several "beware of dogs" signs to hang on my fences.......doubt it would make a huge difference, but at least any cop who entered my yard couldnt say they didnt know dogs were here.

#14 ·
Good idea, Twyla! We had custom signs made that read, 'German Shepherd on Premises' & 'German Shepherd Lives Here'.

I was "hoping" the Eldorado part meant it was right up the road - I would've been driving up the hill tonight after work. Unfortunately, WSIL TV is out of IL.

THIS cop-shoots-dog story REALLY ticks me off...

#16 ·
You can custom make signs online for cheap!

Just asked the BF if they are trained on how to treat dogs in the academy. He said they just spent three days on family violence from 8am-5pm. Next three days deal with child molestors and the next week is spent on how to not get killed (safety precautions, how to enter homes, how to calm someone down). He said dogs are not a priority in the academy, they are learning how to save human lives instead and stay alive themselves. They did get to see some cool drug dogs though, and the k9 officers are revered there. He said the professor said that if they want to learn about dogs than to join animal control. And he said he is not asking any more questions for me since the prof made him look like an idiot for that one lol

#46 ·
You can custom make signs online for cheap!

Just asked the BF if they are trained on how to treat dogs in the academy. He said they just spent three days on family violence from 8am-5pm. Next three days deal with child molestors and the next week is spent on how to not get killed (safety precautions, how to enter homes, how to calm someone down). He said dogs are not a priority in the academy, they are learning how to save human lives instead and stay alive themselves. They did get to see some cool drug dogs though, and the k9 officers are revered there. He said the professor said that if they want to learn about dogs than to join animal control. And he said he is not asking any more questions for me since the prof made him look like an idiot for that one lol
Maybe they should implement a course on not entering private property without probable cause before shooting and killing family pets.

#20 ·
We have "Dogs on Premises" and our dogs are nowhere near our front door.
They are in a fenced yard on the side of our home.
There is zero chance our dogs will greet anyone at the front door unless they are inside our home (the dogs). We have gates up (inside) so they can't get to or out the back door.

The front door could be accessed by my dogs, but I greet people at the door and close it behind me and go out onto the front porch to talk to them.
I don't allow people in our home, unless someone is here to put the dogs up when the person enters.

#53 ·
We have "Dogs on Premises" and our dogs are nowhere near our front door.
They are in a fenced yard on the side of our home.
There is zero chance our dogs will greet anyone at the front door unless they are inside our home (the dogs). We have gates up (inside) so they can't get to or out the back door.

The front door could be accessed by my dogs, but I greet people at the door and close it behind me and go out onto the front porch to talk to them.
I don't allow people in our home, unless someone is here to put the dogs up when the person enters.

Well, can the police come in through the yard to get to a back door? It seems that lots of police these days prefer this route:confused:, without the knowledge of the home owner:(

#21 ·
In response to how are we supposed to protect our dogs:

When I am not home, I crate Rocky now. I know that this is hard for some people who work 10+ hours, but after talking to my cousin that is an EMS, my uncle that is a firefighter, and my BF (P.O) they all said that if they have to respond to somewhere, there is sometimes human error and if they go in the wrong house and a dog tries to attack them, if police are with them they will shoot it.

Also, if there ever were a fire, the head maintenance tech would come straight to my apartment to get Rocky and if Rocky was loose he would not let him in the house. However, if he was kenneled he would let him get him out and leash him. (our maintenance tech rescues german shepherds, he has FIVE, and he loves Rocky)

It does "suck" because you are supposed to have freedom in your home, but I would rather give up a bit of freedom and have Rocky be safe. (Also if the apartment above mine started flooding they may need to get into mine to turn off the hot water heater so I also crate him for that reason)

As for when I'm home, I have both locks locked on my front door and a sign on my front door that says "Uncrated German Shepherd. Please ring doorbell before entrance"

I think that's the most I can do.

#23 ·
Sometimes I wonder what qualifies law enforcement officers to do what they do. Here in Wisconsin LEO were always allowed to carry weapons...even off duty. Kind of interesting since when off duty they are just regular citizens. We had an incident when one of them for some reason was just carrying the gun in his waist line (without any holster) and it fell down his pant leg and went off in a mall. The bullet shot off the floor and didn't injure anyone and he got off with a slap on the wrist. Wonder what would've happened to a regular citizen under the same circumstances.

I just don't get how on private property its shoot first and ask questions later. In this case...it wasn't even life or death. It's not like the stolen ladder was going to kill anyone. There wasn't any danger, it was just a stolen ladder. Sometimes you feel like they don't think the law applies to them, and when you read about these kinds of situations you definitely get the feeling the officer thought he was above the law.

#57 ·
Sometimes I wonder what qualifies law enforcement officers to do what they do. Here in Wisconsin LEO were always allowed to carry weapons...even off duty. Kind of interesting since when off duty they are just regular citizens. We had an incident when one of them for some reason was just carrying the gun in his waist line (without any holster) and it fell down his pant leg and went off in a mall. The bullet shot off the floor and didn't injure anyone and he got off with a slap on the wrist. Wonder what would've happened to a regular citizen under the same circumstances.

I just don't get how on private property its shoot first and ask questions later. In this case...it wasn't even life or death. It's not like the stolen ladder was going to kill anyone. There wasn't any danger, it was just a stolen ladder. Sometimes you feel like they don't think the law applies to them, and when you read about these kinds of situations you definitely get the feeling the officer thought he was above the law.
NO law enforcement officer is a "private citizen" when they are off duty. We are held to a higher standard and will ALWAYS be considered such, on or off duty. Some choose to carry while off, some dont. The job will change you. It doesn't matter if you came from a LE family or if you, like me, are the first. You spend day in and day out with the worst of the worst. The glimmers of light come from the hug and a "thank you" of a weary mother, the happy tears of a child as she is reunited with her family, and the moments when you know justice has been served. Unfortunately, the good is so very often outweighed by the bad. We are trained for the worst and to expect the worst. We are always on edge. YES, there are the bad apples who have no business being in LE. But give me a break...there are bad apples EVERYWHERE. How many dogs get shot by people OTHER than LE? I'm sorry, but even though I absolutely ADORE dogs, its a fact that will never change. For as long as dogs are used for security and other ill purposes by the bad guys, the good guys will have to stay on their toes around anything with 4 legs and a tail. Sure, training would be a great thing to offer, however many local departments are limited in their resources. A day of class isn't going to teach a new guy dog behavior. And it certainly won't do anything about teaching the proper response in a hot situation. That takes MUCH more training and experience. Even while on the job I can read a dog like a book. But very few people in society can. Heck, some of my coworkers are terrified of dogs. Dog people are a very specific sector of society...we are a little different, a little crazy, and VERY passionate about our babies...and yes we shed tears when sad news is shared, but the fact of the matter is that things aren't going to change any time soon. I'm sorry if I sound cold, but a huge pet peeve of mine is being monday morning quarterbacked by people who aren't in LE. As I said, there ARE people who shouldn't be in LE. But they are shadowed by the great many who deserve that badge every second of every day.

#24 ·
Here in Wisconsin LEO were always allowed to carry weapons...even off duty. Kind of interesting since when off duty they are just regular citizens.
Yes and no...in smaller towns where officers are 'known' with or without their uniforms, their live are always at risk to an extent.

I was just watching Judge Judy where an officer got a false complaint filed against him for no reason.
What if that same guy who filed the false complaint (the next day) saw the cop at the mall with no uniform? It is not outside the realm of possibility that this angry citizen could take it out on the cop in some fashion.

Concealed carry permits are issued (where they are given out) without training involved so an officer, expected to have much more training then a regular joe, ought to be able to carry his gun at all times if he chooses.

Yes, people (even cops) get lackadaisical about their weapons but that's not good gun stewardship but that doesn't mean nobody should be able to carry one.

#25 · (Edited)
Yes and no...in smaller towns where officers are 'known' with or without their uniforms, their live are always at risk to an extent.
I'm in Milwaukee...so I hope this isn't considered a small town. Also this happened right before our conceal carry law went into affect so it was quite perfect timing. I'm not going to get into a debate of how much more risk their life is than mine but I question people's choices if they feel like they need a gun to protect themselves because of something they do in life...be it in the line of duty or not.

Anyways...I think I'm just upset because I feel like in this case the officer definitely made a mistake and overstepped his rights. A dog lost its life...and its because its considered property that nothing is going to happen. I know these cases are few and far between, but we had a football player go to jail for 2 years for pretty much the same thing that happened to a police officer...and nothing happened to him. You kind of have to see the irony in those types of related incidents.

#28 ·
Not because of what *we* choose to do in life, but because of what others aka crazy people choose to do in life. These days, you can never be too safe.
I REFUSE to give into people like that. If we give in and our dogs can't have a normal life because of that, they win.

#30 ·
As many public shootings as there's been lately, I have the ability to carry a gun and I had better not be stuck under a table or bench somewhere where there is a madman shooting people and I could have stopped them.
I'd regret to my dying day that I could have had my firearm and taken the nutjob out, if that happened.
Therefore, as often as practical, I have at least one on or near me.

#35 ·
Exactly.

This is my last off topic post on this but I know a lot of people tend to think that if you take away all the guns or limit them that there will be less crime.....well a criminal is a criminal is a criminal. There are many "lost, stolen and unregistered" guns out there for a criminal to get their hands on and still have.

If someone is crazy enough to use a gun for something evil, they are crazy enough and will use anything else they can if a gun is not readily available, ie: homemade bombs, knives, clubs....the possibilities are endless. Taking away a persons right to bear arms will only leave this country with innocent people who will have no way to defend themselves against that nut jobs who will always exist.

OK. I'm done.

#31 ·
This topic has been difficult for me lately. I have thought a lot about this and it scares me. I don't crate because we have taught that being able to be out alone on the house while we are gone is a privillage. That and jasmine can open her crate. I want to start crating her again in the event someone comes into the house while we are gone but one I know she will get out and 2 I don't want her to think he is beig punished for something (she can make that correlation)
Also, if someone needed to come in and she was crated and she was growling and trying to escape the kennel would they shoot her in the kennel? I feel they would
If the came while she was out and no one was here I know she would be shot because she would growl
I do have signs on the front window and back sliding door that say caution area patrolled by german shepherd security but I don't think it would make a difference
How am I to protect my dog? Should I crate her and zip tie it shut?
I know this is an extreme over reaction, but I'm just not sure what to do and when thinking about all the ways this could happen, I see my dog dead

#32 ·
It is still rare.

Check on your own communities. Go with a certain radius and a number of years. Research how many dogs have been killed by police in incidents like the previous three incidents.

I am sorry, I am not going to make a dog live in a crate whenever I am not right there, because 3 dogs out of 3 million dogs got shot while at home by a cop this year. We had an almost identical situation, thought the dog was chained in the front yard. Wrong address, cop shot the dog, then tried to cover it up, by cutting the chain -- witnesses. The cop was fired. That was years ago and about 30 miles away from me. I have not heard of ANY other cop-killed-my-dog-while-he-was-innocently-protecting-his-home here in over 30 years of living out here.

Cops, for the most part LIKE dogs.

When I was a teenager, I roamed a lot, and sometimes I had my mutt with me. She wasn't leashed, we were just bumming, she and I. She would steal cat food off of people's porches and would wait for me to get a chocolate donut from the 24 hour Lawson's to give her. (She lived to be 14+ before we put her down, inspite of Dad's and Purina dog food, chocolate donuts, and occasional stolen cat food.)

But anyway, a cop was driving through a parking lot, and I called to him, "Don't hit my dog!" And he was affronted, he said he wouldn't hit my dog.

My brother left his chow mix in his basement while he was on vacation, and I went over to feed it. Well he had a stack of mattresses down there, and the dog climbed up them and chewed through the window and was attacking (I don't think it actually bit her though) the high school principle's wife. The cops called my mom (small town, she was the clerk of the village at the time) and she told them to shoot the dog. He said he couldn't shoot the dog.

Cops really don't want to go around shooting dogs. Yes, there is the odd scumbag that might hate dogs, but he is in the minority. I bet this officer is getting a lot of guff from other officers for shooting that dog. And adding insult to injury that it was the wrong address.

No one has to sneak onto a property for a stolen ladder. They do not have to kill someone's dog for a stolen ladder. This guy is probably in trouble.

Maybe large departments have good systems for training cops, but here you can be 18 and work as an auxiliary officer with very little training, and yes, you do carry a gun. Scary. That may have changed since 20 some years ago when I was seventeen and working in my store at 2AM and the auxiliary snuck in and crept up on us. I told him he scared the bleep out of me, and he said I was lucky he didn't enter with his gun drawn.

Later that night he saw me riding my bike and asked me about my sister who was with me at the shop. I asked him if he was married and he told me he was only 18. I was thinking, OMG, they let you carry a gun??? But, they did then. And I am sure that dealing with people's pets was probably not something they dwelled upon with these part-time, sub-rookies. Leaving them to work the night shift here on their own though, that probably could go way bad. Most of the guys I see at night are regular officers now.

I am sorry this dog died. It was no fault of the owner. I don't know what should happen. They are investigating this, and my guess is that the officer will lose his job. My guess is that police work requires people use decent judgment. I am guessing within the first year, an officer's judgment is scrutinized and departments probably take the opportunity to prune the ranks of those who show problems in this area. Poor judgment can get him killed, and can get others killed.

#36 ·
My husband is a medic.
I asked him what happens when he arrives and there's a dog barking and protecting it's owner, and he said he (or another medic or officer) removes the dog and then he can go about his work.
I don't think it's that common of an occurrence that there's an actually dangerous dog on a scene, and if there is one, it's not really common for a dog to be shot.

Think of it this way - every moment of every day there's officers and medics out there across the nation doing their duties, without shooting dogs. It's really not a common occurrence at all.

#37 · (Edited)
We just went through Scene Safety in class and honestly, I am not surprised that so many dogs are shot. Fear is a huge factor in Scene Safety. There was one medic that got shot in 2009 and people are still talking about that medics should have bullet proof vests, that self-defense should be mandatory.

Now we are talking about a very rural area where you get your occasional bad calls, accidents etc. and I'm not trying to downplay what EMS does. There is a lot of stuff going on. However, most of the time, the most exciting thing might be a transport from the hospital to Syracuse at least when I spend the night out at the Squad nothing ever happens. I had three transports, one DOA, that's it so far.
Still, that incident is so fresh in the mind of EMS that it is talked about, a lot. Even though it was a single incident.

So we get it bashed into our head to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER enter a Scene when it isn't safe. If there is a barking dog, you call the cops, you don't enter!
As for me, I can tell the difference between a bluffing dog. My study partner has a lab. You'd think that dog is a killer and he will run up to your car, stand right infront of your door in a barking frenzy. First time I met that dog I knew he's a big bluffer, opened the door and told him to knock it off. He followed me to the house and stopped barking.

If that dog should ever do that with a cop, that dog would be shot, instantly.

#38 · (Edited)
I just did a search on Atlanta for dogs shot by police. 10 in Atlanta alone since 2010, occurring more frequently in the last year. That was just on the first page of the search. It did not include Fulton County (county ATL is located in) nor any of the metro counties or cities. I know of 3 this year in the county I am in. I doubt ATL would be the only city of comparable size that would have numbers like this. So what may have been considered rare at one time is happening more often now.

Sure 10 in one city of thousands of dogs doesn't look like a lot. Out of those 10 how many died through lack of education on the owners and/or police? Multiply that by the full metro area - 13 counties and the multiple incorporated cities in them. Then if you really want to grow the numbers, how many large metro areas are there in the US?

#42 ·
Atlanta? Isn't there a lot of dog-fighting there? Is that where Michael Vick was out of? Just wondering. But ten? Is that ten dogs on their owner's property, and the cops came to the property without any crime having been committed by the property inhabitants to cause the cops to come. Or is this 10 dogs that the Atlanta police have shot in the past 2-3 years?

Atlanta probably has a lot more people and dogs than our county has.

#39 · (Edited)
Off-Topic Warning: I'm with you guys. I have CCW. Been shooting since I was 6. Dad was a cop & taught us gun safety & usage early.
Even as a 'girl'. Calif is high-crime. But you can bet it'd be lower if it was more 'Old West', where guns were NOT concealed. What idiot would attempt to steal a purse or rape a woman carrying a gun that he can see?

OK - I'm done with off-topic, too! :D

Twyla - another good ideas you had, by looking up the stats. Think I'll do the same for our area. Altho lately, more bad guys are shooting our K9s while on duty...

#40 ·
Here, they'd enter w/a barking dog but there'd also be fire personnel on scene (volunteer fd) and officers, either sheriff, state or municipal police.
And he's a rescuer (hubby) so he'd feel okay to enter, I know.

WA state is an open carry state, btw, but we don't usually open carry ;)
I did open carry when we went hiking...as did hubby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.