Police shoot another dog- how on earth are we supposed to protect our dogs? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Here, they'd enter w/a barking dog but there'd also be fire personnel on scene (volunteer fd) and officers, either sheriff, state or municipal police.
And he's a rescuer (hubby) so he'd feel okay to enter, I know.

WA state is an open carry state, btw, but we don't usually open carry
I did open carry when we went hiking...as did hubby.
That means he thinks that the Scene is safe. So he can enter. I'd probably enter the scene too, others wouldn't.
Mrs.K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
I just did a search on Atlanta for dogs shot by police. 10 in Atlanta alone since 2010, occurring more frequently in the last year. That was just on the first page of the search. It did not include Fulton County (county ATL is located in) nor any of the metro counties or cities. I know of 3 this year in the county I am in. I doubt ATL would be the only city of comparable size that would have numbers like this. So what may have been considered rare at one time is happening more often now.

Sure 10 in one city of thousands of dogs doesn't look like a lot. Out of those 10 how many died through lack of education on the owners and/or police? Multiply that by the full metro area - 13 counties and the multiple incorporated cities in them. Then if you really want to grow the numbers, how many large metro areas are there in the US?
Atlanta? Isn't there a lot of dog-fighting there? Is that where Michael Vick was out of? Just wondering. But ten? Is that ten dogs on their owner's property, and the cops came to the property without any crime having been committed by the property inhabitants to cause the cops to come. Or is this 10 dogs that the Atlanta police have shot in the past 2-3 years?

Atlanta probably has a lot more people and dogs than our county has.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #43 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
My dog is a sitting duck in a crate.
I was going to start a thread about that! I worry all the time when I'm gone and my puppy is crated. That's part of the reason I like him to always be with me, so I know he's safe.

I'm very very jealous of all you cc folks. I'm not allowed one where I live. Only criminals packin' in my 'hood!
Blanketback is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
I am talking about all the pre-cautions we have to take to keep our dogs "safe". I refuse to infringe on my dogs freedom because some mad man could enter OUR property and shoot our dogs.

When you say "infringe on my ____'s freedom" it sounds like you are talking about a person. Dogs don't have rights. They are pets. I love my dog with all my heart but he is definitely not included in the constitution. I would choose a human life over 20 dog's lives any day. And I'm known as the "crazy dog girl" at my apartment.....

I guess it depends on people's different experiences though. I'm very social and with my job I meet 50-200 new people every night I work. I see the joy in life every day. Some people on this board interact with the same people every day, year after year or are retired and interact with their dogs more than humans. I know that dog's can feel enjoyment/happiness, but human life to me is very valuable and I would never risk a human life for a dog. I guess this is why I support cops or citizens that shoot dogs coming at them, regardless if it is the right or wrong house and regardless if the owner says "Oh he is harmless". My cousin that works with animal control gets bit by dogs a minimum of 3-4 times a year, whose owners say "He is friendly". I would not risk having my leg ripped to pieces and have to have surgery after surgery to try and run from or catch a dog rather than shooting it. (Luckily AC normally wears special pants that are harder to get bit through)

Best of luck to you. Good for standing up for what you believe in and not crating your dogs. Everyone must stand up for something or what is the point to life?

I never knew so many people hated crating their dogs before this thread Every time I put my heels on for work, Rocky RUNS to his kennel and is laying down on all his pillows by the time I'm done getting ready I usually pretend to lock the crate door if I'm only gone an hour or two and when I get back, I will slowly unlock the door and make a lot of noise. Rocky will be in his crate when I get in .... but when I walk in my bed room there is an impression of him on the pillow and it is warm He sure is sneaky! lol

Last edited by x0emiroxy0x; 09-21-2012 at 02:34 PM.
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #45 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
In light of all these "cops shot my dog" stories I will be going to Wally World later today to get several "beware of dogs" signs to hang on my fences.......doubt it would make a huge difference, but at least any cop who entered my yard couldnt say they didnt know dogs were here.

I think barbed wire and a very strong lock would be better.

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
LARHAGE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #46 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
You can custom make signs online for cheap!

Just asked the BF if they are trained on how to treat dogs in the academy. He said they just spent three days on family violence from 8am-5pm. Next three days deal with child molestors and the next week is spent on how to not get killed (safety precautions, how to enter homes, how to calm someone down). He said dogs are not a priority in the academy, they are learning how to save human lives instead and stay alive themselves. They did get to see some cool drug dogs though, and the k9 officers are revered there. He said the professor said that if they want to learn about dogs than to join animal control. And he said he is not asking any more questions for me since the prof made him look like an idiot for that one lol
Maybe they should implement a course on not entering private property without probable cause before shooting and killing family pets.

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
LARHAGE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE View Post
I think barbed wire and a very strong lock would be better.
And put it under electricity!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
When you say "infringe on my ____'s freedom" it sounds like you are talking about a person. Dogs don't have rights. They are pets. I love my dog with all my heart but he is definitely not included in the constitution. I would choose a human life over 20 dog's lives any day. And I'm known as the "crazy dog girl" at my apartment.....

I guess it depends on people's different experiences though. I'm very social and with my job I meet 50-200 new people every night I work. I see the joy in life every day. Some people on this board interact with the same people every day, year after year or are retired and interact with their dogs more than humans. I know that dog's can feel enjoyment/happiness, but human life to me is very valuable and I would never risk a human life for a dog. I guess this is why I support cops or citizens that shoot dogs coming at them, regardless if it is the right or wrong house and regardless if the owner says "Oh he is harmless". My cousin that works with animal control gets bit by dogs a minimum of 3-4 times a year, whose owners say "He is friendly". I would not risk having my leg ripped to pieces and have to have surgery after surgery to try and run from or catch a dog rather than shooting it. (Luckily AC normally wears special pants that are harder to get bit through)

Best of luck to you. Good for standing up for what you believe in and not crating your dogs. Everyone must stand up for something or what is the point to life?

I never knew so many people hated crating their dogs before this thread Every time I put my heels on for work, Rocky RUNS to his kennel and is laying down on all his pillows by the time I'm done getting ready I usually pretend to lock the crate door if I'm only gone an hour or two and when I get back, I will slowly unlock the door and make a lot of noise. Rocky will be in his crate when I get in .... but when I walk in my bed room there is an impression of him on the pillow and it is warm He sure is sneaky! lol
My dogs, in MY house, on MY property have as much as freedom as I give them. I can give it, I take it away. If I want my dogs in MY house, outside a crate, than that is MY right without having to fear that some maniac storms through the door shooting MY dogs.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:

It really depends on the individual. I don't like to crate dogs for lots of hours at a time. Sorry. I build kennels where they will be safe and can move comfortably, relieve themselves, change position, see the other critters, get fresh air, jump up onto their house or shelter, run around, get a drink of water. It is like leaving them in a large room, rather than leaving them in a cage that is slightly larger than they are.

Some of us have to, on occasion be gone for 9, 10, 14, or even 18 hours. No dog should have to spend that kind of time in a crate day after day after day. That is just my opinion. If that is how you have to keep a puppy safe while he is not ready for the run of the house, well, at least there is a plan to give the dog more freedom.

And, I have heard of shootings where the people were in the house asleep, and cops busted in, and shot the dog, so now to keep your dog safe, you better crate that dog all night too.

At some point, you should probably go out and get a stuffed GSD, and put it in the crate, because if you are determined to keep your dog safe, well it will have to live 24/7 in its crate.

I couldn't do that to a dog. I would rather take my chances with the cops shooting the dog. The odds are still way in your favor that that will never happen.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #50 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I suppose you could teach your dog to not charge or bark at people in a police uniform?

Last edited by Syaoransbear; 09-21-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Syaoransbear is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.