Police shoot another dog- how on earth are we supposed to protect our dogs? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

In response to how are we supposed to protect our dogs:

When I am not home, I crate Rocky now. I know that this is hard for some people who work 10+ hours, but after talking to my cousin that is an EMS, my uncle that is a firefighter, and my BF (P.O) they all said that if they have to respond to somewhere, there is sometimes human error and if they go in the wrong house and a dog tries to attack them, if police are with them they will shoot it.

Also, if there ever were a fire, the head maintenance tech would come straight to my apartment to get Rocky and if Rocky was loose he would not let him in the house. However, if he was kenneled he would let him get him out and leash him. (our maintenance tech rescues german shepherds, he has FIVE, and he loves Rocky)

It does "suck" because you are supposed to have freedom in your home, but I would rather give up a bit of freedom and have Rocky be safe. (Also if the apartment above mine started flooding they may need to get into mine to turn off the hot water heater so I also crate him for that reason)

As for when I'm home, I have both locks locked on my front door and a sign on my front door that says "Uncrated German Shepherd. Please ring doorbell before entrance"

I think that's the most I can do.
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
AHAHAHA! Where did you get that sign? My husband would love that.
Tractor Supply!
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sometimes I wonder what qualifies law enforcement officers to do what they do. Here in Wisconsin LEO were always allowed to carry weapons...even off duty. Kind of interesting since when off duty they are just regular citizens. We had an incident when one of them for some reason was just carrying the gun in his waist line (without any holster) and it fell down his pant leg and went off in a mall. The bullet shot off the floor and didn't injure anyone and he got off with a slap on the wrist. Wonder what would've happened to a regular citizen under the same circumstances.

I just don't get how on private property its shoot first and ask questions later. In this case...it wasn't even life or death. It's not like the stolen ladder was going to kill anyone. There wasn't any danger, it was just a stolen ladder. Sometimes you feel like they don't think the law applies to them, and when you read about these kinds of situations you definitely get the feeling the officer thought he was above the law.
martemchik is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Here in Wisconsin LEO were always allowed to carry weapons...even off duty. Kind of interesting since when off duty they are just regular citizens.
Yes and no...in smaller towns where officers are 'known' with or without their uniforms, their live are always at risk to an extent.

I was just watching Judge Judy where an officer got a false complaint filed against him for no reason.
What if that same guy who filed the false complaint (the next day) saw the cop at the mall with no uniform? It is not outside the realm of possibility that this angry citizen could take it out on the cop in some fashion.

Concealed carry permits are issued (where they are given out) without training involved so an officer, expected to have much more training then a regular joe, ought to be able to carry his gun at all times if he chooses.

Yes, people (even cops) get lackadaisical about their weapons but that's not good gun stewardship but that doesn't mean nobody should be able to carry one.
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Yes and no...in smaller towns where officers are 'known' with or without their uniforms, their live are always at risk to an extent.
I'm in Milwaukee...so I hope this isn't considered a small town. Also this happened right before our conceal carry law went into affect so it was quite perfect timing. I'm not going to get into a debate of how much more risk their life is than mine but I question people's choices if they feel like they need a gun to protect themselves because of something they do in life...be it in the line of duty or not.

Anyways...I think I'm just upset because I feel like in this case the officer definitely made a mistake and overstepped his rights. A dog lost its life...and its because its considered property that nothing is going to happen. I know these cases are few and far between, but we had a football player go to jail for 2 years for pretty much the same thing that happened to a police officer...and nothing happened to him. You kind of have to see the irony in those types of related incidents.

Last edited by martemchik; 09-21-2012 at 12:26 PM.
martemchik is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
I'm in Milwaukee...so I hope this isn't considered a small town. Also this happened right before our conceal carry law went into affect so it was quite perfect timing. I'm not going to get into a debate of how much more risk their life is than mine but I question people's choices if they feel like they need a gun to protect themselves because of something they do in life...be it in the line of duty or not.
My husband and I both have conceal carry permits and we use them. Not because of what *we* choose to do in life, but because of what others aka crazy people choose to do in life. These days, you can never be too safe. Most of the time, it's just me and my toddler at home or out and about. I'm a perfect target for someone crazy so I carry and you better believe if anyone ever tried anything stupid, they would most definitely meet their maker.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Not because of what *we* choose to do in life, but because of what others aka crazy people choose to do in life. These days, you can never be too safe.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Not because of what *we* choose to do in life, but because of what others aka crazy people choose to do in life. These days, you can never be too safe.
I REFUSE to give into people like that. If we give in and our dogs can't have a normal life because of that, they win.
Mrs.K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
I REFUSE to give into people like that. If we give in and our dogs can't have a normal life because of that, they win.
lol huh?

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

As many public shootings as there's been lately, I have the ability to carry a gun and I had better not be stuck under a table or bench somewhere where there is a madman shooting people and I could have stopped them.
I'd regret to my dying day that I could have had my firearm and taken the nutjob out, if that happened.
Therefore, as often as practical, I have at least one on or near me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.