Police shoot another dog- how on earth are we supposed to protect our dogs? - Page 12 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #111 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VonKromeHaus

.No, not really, park rangers typically are more trained and schooled than an ACO.

BTW- you don't have to go through ACO academy to be an ACO here in WA according to what I've read.

Just because I take the same classes as a Police Officer doesn't mean I went to the Police Academy. I am done here, I can't watch someone compare their 80 hour training course to going through the Police Academy.

Last edited by VonKromeHaus; 09-23-2012 at 01:18 AM.
VonKromeHaus is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #112 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
okay. I'm not sure if we have code-enforcement officers in Germany or what the equivalent would be. Would you put ACO more into the same section as Park Rangers? Just as comparison?
Code enforcement usually deals with stuff that is code specific to a town. For example...building permits, inspections, parking tickets, etc. Animal Control deals with stray dogs, animal cruelty, neglect cases, etc., which sadly most of these offenses don't require a person to be arrested, just fined. I suppose in some cases an arrest can be made, but where I'm at the police officers would have to come in and make that arrest.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #113 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Code enforcement usually deals with stuff that is code specific to a town. For example...building permits, inspections, parking tickets, etc. Animal Control deals with stray dogs, animal cruelty, neglect cases, etc., which sadly most of these offenses don't require a person to be arrested, just fined. I suppose in some cases an arrest can be made, but where I'm at the police officers would have to come in and make that arrest.
Same as here! Ours don't even do neglect cases or vicious dogs. The report has to be filed through the Sheriff's Department and ALL AC does is pick up the dog. Everything else is done through the Sheriff's department. They only directly deal with at large or roaming dogs.

Last edited by VonKromeHaus; 09-23-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #114 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think since an arrest warrant is technically needed for an arrest anywhere (unless there are certain dangers involved) an ACO could technically have a warrant and arrest said person. This would come with a lot of back up before hand and you would pretty much need to have enough evidence to convince the suspect of the crime he/she is being charged with.

The reason I don't see an ACO arresting someone on the spot is because they aren't usually dealing with cases that require an arrest. I mean...how many animal laws are there out there that come with jail time?
martemchik is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 01:27 AM   #115 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Well, where I worked it is on me. I had cruelty cases, etc. and if an arrest was going to be made, I would NOT do it (although I could) I would definitely call one of my brothers with arms I have my Miranda card, but as I said earlier, I never carried a gun, just pepper spray and one of those sticks.

That said, I did enforce criminal laws as well as misdemeanors. There's a lot to it, I suspect more than folks apparently realize.

I don't care what anyone's opinion is of it, really. I know what I did (and would do, if they'd open my position again!) and I consider myself an officer as do my fellow officers. A few yrs. back a fellow ACO passed away and he got a full Police Funeral, all the guys in uniform who could be there, were.
It was very touching and a testament to what we do and as MrsK said, how we work together.

Even if Chrome's "LEO friends" snub ACOs, the guys I worked with never did, and were glad as **** when I'd show up on scene!!
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #116 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
The reason I don't see an ACO arresting someone on the spot is because they aren't usually dealing with cases that require an arrest. I mean...how many animal laws are there out there that come with jail time?
Its sad that some of these people can't face jail time for the things they do to animals. I could never be animal control and deal with people that hurt animals...it would be just to much
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #117 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Even if Chrome's "LEO friends" snub ACOs, the guys I worked with never did, and were glad as **** when I'd show up on scene!!
I never said they snub them. I said they don't feel they are on equal grounds as far as training and jobs go. But the LEOs I know are well versed in dogs as well..since most I know are involved in training in some capacity or another.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #118 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Come on people, let's try to stay on topic and not get personal. I'm tired of getting all the notifications of everyone on each other when there is alot of 'bad behaviour' going on from everyone.

Talk about the subjects and stop attacking and being nasty with each other.

Thread locked...

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.